Singapore Expats Forum

Best airlines to travel within ASIA/ to USA

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

mulffett
Regular
Regular

Best airlines to travel within ASIA/ to USA

Postby mulffett » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 2:35 am

Does anyone have a recommendation on which airline loyalty program is worth joining for travel within Asia/ to the states? One with relatively way to attain points/ good discount rate?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: Best airlines to travel within ASIA/ to USA

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:19 pm

mulffett wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on which airline loyalty program is worth joining for travel within Asia/ to the states? One with relatively way to attain points/ good discount rate?

Cathay Pacific's is one of the best in the region provided, regionally, you can still fly through Hong Kong. To the US this is not so much of a problem but is if you want to go, for example, Singapore to Vietnam then there isn't an airline you can put your points in.

I took the Singapore Airlines program after moving to SG from HK because i can add miles via local credit cards AND the Star-Alliance that SQ is a member of has good links from here. I rarely actually fly SQ so for example am taking Thai to Europe this month. The Thai program is a little better than SQ but there isn't a credit card locally that you can use to add on miles.

Loyalty Programs don't give you dicounts remember, they just allow you to use points to get "free" flights and upgrades.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 9:07 pm

mulffett wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on which airline loyalty program is worth joining for travel within Asia/ to the states? One with relatively way to attain points/ good discount rate?

usually you tend not to rack up miles just by flying, and airlines are making it difficult to redeem reward tickets these days. it's best to have programs or cards which enables you convert points into miles.

different cards/programs from different countries have different yields. you might want to check out frequent flyer forums coz this depends on your country, flexibility, sectors/legs, current memberships, blah.

in response to your topic: i love flying SQ from singapore to new york.

edit: forgot to put the "LOOOOOVE" in there!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:25 pm

taxico wrote:usually you tend not to rack up miles just by flying, and airlines are making it difficult to redeem reward tickets these days. it's best to have programs or cards which enables you convert points into miles.

Totally agree.

For myself, I would choose an airline that one can redeem their points with very little headaches.

Second, it would have to be an airline I actually ENJOY flying with. eg is asking for a drink a bit like pulling teeth from flight staff? Do the flight staff have a stuck-up attitude? (I'm looking at YOU qantas). What is in-flight entertainment like?

What sort of free flights are available for redemption? Only 3am flights? Multiple stopovers rather than direct?

I haven't travelled with many airlines.. 4 only, but I found Singapore Airlines scored best for me personally, particularly when booking dates when I actually wanted to fly.

The negative side of Singapore Airlines program is that points expire. Points are not transferrable

However, having said this, as most of my points are earned through my AMEX card rather than actual flying (and AMEX points don't expire), I quickly & conveniently transfer points when I need to.

With Qantas points don't expire, and are transferable between people, can be topped up by paying $$. However safety record recently?

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:48 pm

Splatted wrote:With Qantas points don't expire, and are transferable between people, can be topped up by paying $$. However safety record recently?

they're dropping outta the skies like flies, that's what!!!

i took an international qantas flight in mid august shortly after a hole appeared in one of their aircraft (and a few other incidents prior)

i'll be taking another international qantas flight in a coupla weeks after a whole bunch of broken people exit their aircraft a few days ago.

oooooh. nice.