we

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
imanabisaab
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 1:16 pm

we

Post by imanabisaab » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 2:20 pm

We
Last edited by imanabisaab on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Re: Negative impression on locals

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 2:32 pm

imanabisaab wrote:We are a middle eastern family who recently moved to Singapore with our two kids aged 2 and 4. The country is really charming everything is so clean and soo green! but unfortunatelly, and as a 1st impression, people do not seem very welcoming. They are very polite but also very reserved, not so friendly and helpful unless we direclty ask for help. We lived for Canada and the middle east and we never felt this kind of difficulty to build friendships, this kind of isolation i would say. very small examples like not giving a seat for a woman with 2small children in mrt or cars not reducing the speed for pedestrian and not holding the door for a lady with a baby trolley..aggravate this negative feeling
I really hope this is only a 1st impression on locals or that we have met the wrong people and wish we will soon meet nice and gentle friends
Well, a lot of what you describe certainly has been echoed here. Singapore is a fairly new society and social graces are improving all the time, but still have a way to go. You haven't met the wrong people, but maybe you haven't met enough of the right people? Believe me, they're out there. Try not to take it too personally, that's the hard part.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 8:36 am

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 7:45 pm

i've found that generally people keep on a sort of serious mode all the time but if you break the barrier by smiling or waving (i have two children who insist on shouting good morning and good-day to everyone) they easily thaw out.

jrjrg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 9:06 pm

Post by jrjrg » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 8:35 pm

People are generally nice once you get to know them. But before you do, they won't show it; in fact they hide it really well.

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 9:18 pm

jrjrg wrote:People are generally nice once you get to know them. But before you do, they won't show it; in fact they hide it really well.

I agree, I have found all the local people to be very nice and friendly. :P
Zeenit

Zack555
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 1:33 pm
Location: Singapore

Agree

Post by Zack555 » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:11 pm

I agree too. Most them here are friendly and very helpful.

Zack :D
Zacks5s5

ozzmum
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 5:04 pm

Post by ozzmum » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I have found it difficult adjusting to the way people are here. I come from Australia where I find that we are mostly a friendly bunch. I have taught my children manners and courtesy...qualities which you seldom see in everyday life here. Things such as holding the door for someone rarely happen.
I rang up once to enquire about a rental property and the first question I got asked was "Are you a Singaporean?" when I asked her does it matter, she said "Eeerrrr I no longer want to rent" So that and a few other incidents make me think that the general population, with the exception of a very few do not like westerners.

User avatar
RULDS
Regular
Regular
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:52 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by RULDS » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 3:35 pm

I have found that locals are high on respect but poor in manners.

However, I just returned to the U.S. after being here for 6 months. I got off the plane at O'Hare and went straight to an Italian Beef place. I approached the register and was suprised when they said..."What you want" in a poor tone.

There is a mixute of poor manners in every society but every society has a certain area on where they can be more proper.

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:24 pm

ozzmum wrote:Hi everyone,
I have found it difficult adjusting to the way people are here. I come from Australia where I find that we are mostly a friendly bunch. I have taught my children manners and courtesy...qualities which you seldom see in everyday life here. Things such as holding the door for someone rarely happen.
I rang up once to enquire about a rental property and the first question I got asked was "Are you a Singaporean?" when I asked her does it matter, she said "Eeerrrr I no longer want to rent" So that and a few other incidents make me think that the general population, with the exception of a very few do not like westerners.
No comment!!!
Zeenit

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:27 pm

Zeenit wrote:
ozzmum wrote:Hi everyone,
I have found it difficult adjusting to the way people are here. I come from Australia where I find that we are mostly a friendly bunch. I have taught my children manners and courtesy...qualities which you seldom see in everyday life here. Things such as holding the door for someone rarely happen.
I rang up once to enquire about a rental property and the first question I got asked was "Are you a Singaporean?" when I asked her does it matter, she said "Eeerrrr I no longer want to rent" So that and a few other incidents make me think that the general population, with the exception of a very few do not like westerners.
No comment!!!
Thing like that do happen. I've been on the sharp end of that kind of stick before as well. It happens here, just as it happens in other countries.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:38 pm

It's all just the Singapore way of life, they are like that to other locals not just westerners. It just feels that it's aimed solely towards westerners :cool:

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:41 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Zeenit wrote:
ozzmum wrote:Hi everyone,
I have found it difficult adjusting to the way people are here. I come from Australia where I find that we are mostly a friendly bunch. I have taught my children manners and courtesy...qualities which you seldom see in everyday life here. Things such as holding the door for someone rarely happen.
I rang up once to enquire about a rental property and the first question I got asked was "Are you a Singaporean?" when I asked her does it matter, she said "Eeerrrr I no longer want to rent" So that and a few other incidents make me think that the general population, with the exception of a very few do not like westerners.
No comment!!!
Thing like that do happen. I've been on the sharp end of that kind of stick before as well. It happens here, just as it happens in other countries.
It happens all over the world I agree. maybe Oz should get a new national sport.............Moaning
Zeenit

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:47 pm

Zeenit wrote:It happens all over the world I agree. maybe Oz should get a new national sport.............Moaning


Hey, sometime a good 'moan' is deserved. I'd be pissed off too if that happened to me. Come to think of it... it did, and I was.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:57 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Zeenit wrote:It happens all over the world I agree. maybe Oz should get a new national sport.............Moaning


Hey, sometime a good 'moan' is deserved. I'd be pissed off too if that happened to me. Come to think of it... it did, and I was.
Mrs S phoned up an agent a few weeks ago and was told the apartment had been rented. Thought it was strange as it had only just been posted on a website within the last hour. So I called the same agent and guess what, of course it was still for rent!

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 5:08 pm

Sure, it works both ways. We had a potential landlord who would only give a company lease if the firm was based in New York or London, because only reputable companies were from New York or London. :o

Post Reply

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests