Singapore Expats Forum

Poor reception

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Poor reception

Postby EADG » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:43 pm

The good news is I found a decent apartment at a good price.

The not so good news is we found out there is little to no mobile phone reception in the flat!

Short of standing on the veranda every time to make a call, is there any kind of repeater or antennae available to remedy this kind of situation?

Please don't say "Move!"
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:10 pm

the good old days of the brick mobile, you can change the aerial to a high gain one but these days, most are hidden inside. so that's out of the water. be careful about those stuff you stick at the back of your mobile that "claims" to improve reception. if they do, they will also increase the SAR!!!

now, have you tried different mobile for with the same provider and location? some mobiles are better than others. have you also tried another provider if the reception are better?

we have a signal booster for mobile reception but it's for commercial use. it's a big mask and can probably do KFC within a short distance of the mask! i havent seen any so far for consumer or home use.

you must be in the countryside not to get good reception. :)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:21 pm

well....I'm in CBD, the reception is due to the condo towers blocking the signal

my phone is a pretty good one, I don't think any phone would work there

any other ideas?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:53 pm

I think you may have misunderstood.

Mobile phone reception depends on whether the telecom operator has an antenna in the neighborhood.

What the person above meant was to try switching telecom service providers, eg starhub, M1, singtel and see with which server you get the best reception.

Alternatively, knock on your neighbor's door and ask if they have a mobile and if they have a problem and which service provider they use.

Then switch to the server with the least problem (they have an antenna in the neighborhood)

Hope that helps.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 9:10 am

I currently live about 15 meters from the place I'm moving to with no reception problems.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 6:49 pm

Let your service provider know about the problem and ask them to fix it. We had the same issue at our place - my Singtel phone was fine, him indoors had M1 which would only work in one room in the house, and only then if he didn't move from one spot. He called them, they sent someone to check (well, first they checked the signal at his office since that's where the phone was billed, but once we cleared that little misunderstanding up they tried again at our house) and it's worked fine ever since. Not sure what they did to tweak the signal, but no problems now.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 8:32 pm

thanks skye, excellent suggestion, will report back the outcome
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 8:47 pm

yeah! despite most points being an array of unidirectional antennas they should be able to improve the situation if not cure it alltogether.

I've had the telco company resolve my issue in the River Valley area about 2 years ago. No problems since

Good luck