Singapore Expats Forum

Recipe for Black Rendang

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Redned

Recipe for Black Rendang

Postby Redned » Thu, 25 Sep 2008 8:54 am

Can anyone help me with a recipe for black rendang? I have plenty of recipes for rendang, but I am really after the recipe where the rendang is so dark it appears black. I think the Malay name may be Daging Hitam or Daging Rendang Hitam.

The restaurant I used to get it from has disappeared, so now I am addicted but have no supplier!

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:00 am

It's just regular rendang with dark soy sauce.

Redned

Postby Redned » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 4:15 am

phil30k wrote:It's just regular rendang with dark soy sauce.

Ahaaa....So all I need to do is skip adding salt to the recipe and add dark soy instead.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

thea pantow

Postby thea pantow » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:45 pm

Hi

Black rendang actually you have to put in the coconut milk more and you have to keep with slow cooked.

usually take longer to get dark (not because you put in soys hehhe)

I also like black rendang, my friend went back to his town for hari raya in padang, he will be back soon and he promise me to bring rendang from his hometown, then I dont mind to share with you my rendang :)

thea

Redned

Black Rendang

Postby Redned » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 4:14 am

thea pantow wrote:Hi

Black rendang actually you have to put in the coconut milk more and you have to keep with slow cooked.

usually take longer to get dark (not because you put in soys hehhe)

I also like black rendang, my friend went back to his town for hari raya in padang, he will be back soon and he promise me to bring rendang from his hometown, then I dont mind to share with you my rendang :)

thea

I have read that in the Indonesian version you keep on cooking until the oil separates from the coconut milk and then you start to fry the meat in the oil. The rendang is then supposed to go black.

However, I have never been able to do this. I failed in many attempts until I realized the coconut milk I was using (canned) was homogenized. It was NEVER going to separate! :mad:

When I found some unhomogenized CM, by the time the oil separated, the meat (topside) had disintegrated and I had rendang soup. :cry:

So then I bought some chuck meat, which was still tough after 5 and a half hours. :shock:

Also, I think the Indonesian version requires you to keep cooking until there is next to no sauce left, so it is a really dry curry.

What I was after was a recipe where there is still a fair amount of sauce and the dish is very dark, bordering on black.

Could you get the recipe from your friend?

thea pantow

Postby thea pantow » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 8:14 am

Ok I will asked to my friend for receipe of rendang, but maybe we can do practice together, I will invite my friend (Indonesian) who know how to cooked rendang then we can try to cook together.
then we taste together also, hopefully is good rendang hehhe

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 11:17 am

can you email me the recipe even if its just the regular one. I am trying to cook malay without the boxes. :D
Zeenit