Singapore Expats Forum

What if u know You are going to be dupe...to catch a thief

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

buddy_h

What if u know You are going to be dupe...to catch a thief

Postby buddy_h » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 8:38 pm

I was helping a friend to look for a place to rent and stumble on a familiar face, one that has cheated my other friend out of his rent and deposit. I would like to help my cheated friend to catch this thief. Anyone have any ideas how to... coz am pretty certain they are looking for more victims (the previous one has cost more than 10 prospective tenants getting poorer).

random

Postby random » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:07 am

Well, you can start by warning us all what happened and how the culprit cheated people.

buddy_h

Here is what happen and point to spot cheater

Postby buddy_h » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:22 pm

Expats beware!

We call the number in the newspaper. The offer is very tempting. Rental at SGD 1500 for 2+1 fully furnished and fully aircon.

To check the place, here is the person who admits himself as "mr Wong" directs you to the place.

a. He doesn't provide you with the address or unit, he prefers to direct you from a fix point. In this case an exit from MRT Eunos where he can spot you from the window (this, my guess, is to spot ex-victim). Please be cautious, this is how he sense trouble, this is also why you should be suspicious when you want to rent a unit

b. Take the MRT, or stop at MRT station, and walk from certain exit pass the Bus Station, you'll be asked to identify yourself by what you are wearing. I have to described myself in my tees before he tells me what HDB block (411) I have to go to. And when I am near, then he will tell me the floor to go to (3rd Floor). Unit number was not displayed, he waited outside unit. Pretty elaborate for viewing a unit.

c. The offer is indeed too good too be true, i was taken in. Very nice and clean unit, across MRT, near amenities (food only blocks away). All the criterias that you would love to rent with inexpensive rental. I was enthusiastic to get the unit (to my disadvantage)

I called my friend who will eventually live at the place to come and check herself. To her credit she has good memory, she remembers the same "mr Wong" was also the the same owner who signed an agreement with a friend just two months ago. And when she mentioned this "mr Wong" denied that he ever at AMK unit where she saw him, she was alarmed. We got even more suspicious, when we went outside on our way back, we spotted him talking to a familiar housing agent.

To cut story short, we call the friend, and confirmed our suspicions. She told us that the unit was locked, calls went unanswered by "Mr Heng". She have to stay homeless for a day with a child in tow.

For the benefit of us expats who is also drawn to the place please be cautious. I have consulted with friends in regards to this kind fraud, and Law is not exactly on our side. This entry is base only on suspicions, I haven't got "mr Wong" data to inform the authority nor accused him of fraud for lack of proof. I can only post this in the hope that what happened to a friend, hopefully will not happen again.
Last edited by buddy_h on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Postby cavalier » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:30 pm

I don't get it. Why would you hand over money without seeing proof of ownership and an IC?

buddy_h

Postby buddy_h » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:53 pm

We are fortunate, she was alerted and prevented disaster, we haven't made any deposit yet. Her friend not so, IC was provided but am not sure abt proof of ownership. My friend haven't contacted her friend since they met @ AMK Unit, so we didn't know what happened until we check back later. She kept a copy of "mr Heng" agreement, and am looking for a way to get "mr Wong" IC to match.