Singapore Expats Forum

Divorce. Impact on children

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JoBennett

Divorce. Impact on children

Postby JoBennett » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 8:06 pm

Our very close friends are getting divorce. Our children are best of friends and we are wondering how(and what) we should tell our 5 and 6 year-olds. Anyone?

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:07 am

Children get scared by explanations that reek of abandonment or broken promises of loving each other because of the fear that it could happen to them.

Just say "they have more fun living in separate houses because they get to do what they want" and leave it at that.

sonnie

Divorce

Postby sonnie » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 7:14 pm

Difficult situation but agree with previous post don't tell them the full truth at their age. If you keep it happy and upbeat while having perhaps going to visit two homes the children will be less upset. There are many explanations you can give as per previous post but better than explaining divorce or don't love each other any more etc is too much for your childrens age. Over time they won't think about it and consider it normal or at least comfortable hopefully for them.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:09 pm

Just keep it simple. Answer questions if you get asked, but keep them simple. You may find that they just accept it anyway.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

apservice

Postby apservice » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 5:58 am

I agreed with keeping it simple. They will know what is going on very soon as nowsday kids are smart...they know a lot of things that we normally don't at our old days.