Singapore Expats Forum

Help me understand poolside etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Help me understand poolside etiquette

Postby phil30k » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 1:10 am

I was told by an expatriate that not allowing eating, drinking and smoking by the condo pool leads to a mass exodus of expatriates, which results in lower rentals and then low income families moving in and finally lowered property prices.
There is no irony intended. The movies are full of people drinking beers while reclining on pool floats in their backyards and I admit that it looks cool.
So how true is that?
I've seen a 6 year old girl get 9 stitches on her foot from stepping on a piece of broken drinking glass in the pool and my heart breaks for her.

durain
Director
Director

Re: Help me understand poolside etiquette

Postby durain » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 2:00 am

phil30k wrote:So how true is that?

not true.

random

Postby random » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:13 am

I hate turning to my head left to reach for air in between strokes just to have cigarette smoke fill my lungs.

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 9:46 pm

I would suggest that you ask your girlfriend/wife to check you have finished before lighting up the post coital fag.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 7:27 am

Thanks for the responses. So I'll take that as a "not true".

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:24 am

My bbq pits are right next to the pool and I was definitely eating and drinking by the pool on Saturday!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:14 pm

never heard that one, phil

I occasionally have a beer or three by the pool, but always cans and I always keep the dead soldiers in my rucksack.

At least in my condo it's not enforced, but I wouldn't want to see it become a problem.

I'm less concerned about debris as I am about all those rugrats peeing in the pool!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

gif
Regular
Regular

Re: Help me understand poolside etiquette

Postby gif » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 9:26 am

phil30k wrote:I was told by an expatriate that not allowing eating, drinking and smoking by the condo pool leads to a mass exodus of expatriates, which results in lower rentals and then low income families moving in and finally lowered property prices.
There is no irony intended. The movies are full of people drinking beers while reclining on pool floats in their backyards and I admit that it looks cool.
So how true is that?
I've seen a 6 year old girl get 9 stitches on her foot from stepping on a piece of broken drinking glass in the pool and my heart breaks for her.

If they'd not allow me to drink or have a snack poolside I'd be very upset, probably stop going to the pool and, if I could, I'd look for another condo with more freedom. I never had lunch at the pool so far, though we have poolside bbqs, but I think that freedom has no price, especially because pool equals relax...provided, of course, that rubbish is collected and not simply left there. But this is another matter, animals are all around and u simply don't stop them by limiting freedom, but by "education"...and of course guardians checking that everything is ok, to punish in case of offence too

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:18 pm

I can see their point, as surely some people abuse the privilege by littering, or becoming boisterous, or other ways of infringing on other's space.

I would not want to be restricted so would do all I could to keep a low profile and leave the place cleaner than I found it.

Not everyone is similarly conscientious.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 11:33 pm

It makes no sense.

I lived in a condo in Europe where the pool had a bar which played music, served food and drink, and had many kids and babies running around.
Weekends were fantastic, having a couple of mates over for a few beers by the pool.

I didnt see anyone litter the place or get drunk and boisterous.

You may see it at cheap resorts, but not at condos where people live, and especially not high-end condos.

It's just another ridiculous law that treats people as if they are delinquents, like most laws in this country.

I don't think the people of Singapore have done anything to deserve this treatment.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 1:02 am

I don't disagree with you re the laws thing, and I don't know of any such law, or rule at our pool.

Probably depends on the condo, ours is pretty family-oriented. I wish we had the kids’ pool further from the big pool so those of us without kids could get some peace.

In a big condo it could get out of hand, though. Shouldn't, but could. Some people don't respect others, which can ruin it for everyone. I think the bigger the condo the more likely that is to happen.

As I said, I would not want to be restricted, and do have my beers quietly - if I want more than that, there is the BBQ pit.

I personally would not want any music, the odds of it being what I or others want to hear are pretty small, and sometimes no sound is nice. We've got a lot of kids at our place so I just tune them out with headphones.

Wow, re-reading this sounds like we have it real tough, eh?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 2:08 pm

EADG, I was just thinking the same thing. The things we have to look for to complain about! :P

CM, I know you haven't been here that long so I'll just pretend you didn't say this.......

"I don't think the people of Singapore have done anything to deserve this treatment."

This country tends to only follow "rules" and "fines" and as such, if there is not any rules & fines, then they revert to the anti-social habits that they are famous for. Before you jump on me. This has even been mentioned by the Former Prime Minister here. So it's not a figment of my imagination or anybody who has spent any amount of time here...... :(

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:EADG, I was just thinking the same thing. The things we have to look for to complain about! :P

CM, I know you haven't been here that long so I'll just pretend you didn't say this.......

"I don't think the people of Singapore have done anything to deserve this treatment."

This country tends to only follow "rules" and "fines" and as such, if there is not any rules & fines, then they revert to the anti-social habits that they are famous for. Before you jump on me. This has even been mentioned by the Former Prime Minister here. So it's not a figment of my imagination or anybody who has spent any amount of time here...... :(

:lol: I'm not jumping on you for educating me sms!! I'm aware that as a culture they need strict rules to follow, I didn't know they were famous for past 'anti-social habits'. Slightly surprised but explains a lot.

A few more pieces of my jigsaw are fitting into place now.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Oct 2008 5:54 pm

CM, the former PM here, Goh Chok Tong made the comment in a speech one year. Additionally, he said exactly the same thing I've always said, paraphrased "if you don't speak you mind to those who are being anti-social, rude and so on, they will never change." Additionally, if you don't register you disapproval when seeing this kind of behaviour, you are actually giving tacit approval of their behaviour. Therefore, as all here are always afraid of "getting bashed up" either by the receiver of the displeasure or the general culture that if you speak up the government will bash you up. It feeds on itself. Bit of a bummer really, tail wagging the dog or catch 22 whichever!