Singapore Expats Forum

R.I.P. hand-phone

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

R.I.P. hand-phone

Postby ozchick » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:28 am

Do any of you other folk get attached to your hand-phones ?
Ooh I've just had to give my beloved phone to the rooster to throw out cos I just couldn't bear to do it. It had been with me for about 5 years now and was probably bordering on 'antique' status. It got drenched last week when I got caught in the rain on my treddly, and appeared to have recovered well for a week but then just died suddenly yesterday morning.
So the rooster's given me an old Nokia phone of his, and I take comfort in the fact that the sim-card of my beloved Siemen's phone is beating away happily in its new home, so I have the same number.....but.....it's still not the same........ :cry:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 6:40 pm

so it's no pink then. :)

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 8:16 pm

Once you get use to a phone it is so very hard to change to a different or newer phone, especially if you have had that phone for a long time. I hate when my phone was stolen, at least you still have the same number and information. Its not fun starting from scratch. Good luck with the 'newer' phone. :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 8:23 pm

I don't like changing phones either. For some reason this thought popped into my head: it's easier to get used to a new phone than a new man. :-k

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 9:32 pm

I used to get attached to technology.

Some of my first were Cessnas, then Beechcraft, then Lear, then Boeing. They are planes, though.

Then, I discovered computers. And mobile phones. Then, I thought, no, enough is enough.

I had one of those first brick phones that Telecom (in Oz) bought out ages ago. I loved that brick. It was tres handy to keep the bathroom door open.

And now I look at this P-O-C next to me (Motorola) and it beeps and it's predictive text is about as predictive as a funnel-web.

And yes, it's pink (ish).

So, technology, yes - be attached. Just only for its useful life.

WIMH - ah, I'll have to tell Ms. C that !!!!

Chairs, P

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:28 am

Ooh, I feel the same way, my old phone is so neat, simple, has nice ringtones and not those horrible new ones and has such a long battery life. In fact still going on its original battery and its about 5 years old.

Despite it having a strange tendency to turn its screen blank occasionally I have put off getting a new one for about a year now. I keep looking and rejecting. I think I will keep doing so until the screen never comes back alive again or if I get caught in the rain like you Ozchick.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 1:48 pm

I do the same with my old free motoL6. Works like a champ, was free with my last renewal some 3 years ago. Still does exactly what I want it to do. Be a telephone! And it does it well. Keep looking for something to replace my dopod900 with though and each time something stops me (usually cost!).

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 7:57 pm

Aw thanks guys for not laughing at me ! Glad I'm not alone in feeling attached to stuff. I remember when I was a teenager, my dad cried when he sold an old car that we'd had for years. Jeezaloo, it must be in the family ! :roll:
So I've just been deleting the old messages that the rooster hadn't deleted from the phone he's given me. There were heaps of them.
And guess what I found- yeah you guessed it, all these messages from various former girlfirends, all in Swedish or German and which I can't understand except I KNOW that this is what they were cos he's told me about these former flames. But seeing them there in my new 'current' phone has not exactly pleased me. They're all old messages but I'm still mightily jealous and peeved !
So I reckon there's not a chance in hell that this phone and I are gonna get attached ! I'm gonna go get me a new fandangled gadget and be a groovy ozchick. And yeah- pink- why not ?! 8-)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 8:34 pm

Pink phones rock (for a guy) - just steer well away from the Motorola and (apparently) the new iPhone 3G.

Make sure you save all those messages, though!

Bless, Mr. P

[edit: PS - Got a Motorola K1 if you want it - sorry, couldn't resist!!]

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 8:39 pm

i wonder what messages your rooster got now on his fone! i hope it's all from you.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 8:43 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:[edit: PS - Got a Motorola K1 if you want it - sorry, couldn't resist!!]

with or without saucy messages? :)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:13 pm

Check the dates, honey, check the dates. Any from before he met you are forgiveable. Any after and you need to check his sent box to see if he's coming clean with all of you. Ah, I must have been a detective in a past life.

If it's all above board, then rejoice at these three important points:

(1) he trusts you with his past,
(2) it's YOU he's with now, not anyone else, and
(3) he's straight. :wink:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:17 am

that's the way ozchick - I like changing mine every now and then to check new tech toys

I saw your thread just as I am looking to retire my current PDA for a new one

change is good
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 9:57 am

Wind In My Hair wrote: Any after and you need to check his sent box to see if he's coming clean with all of you.

Aghhh..just found a whole lot of sent messages. Gonna check through these now.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:24 am

ozchick wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote: Any after and you need to check his sent box to see if he's coming clean with all of you.

Aghhh..just found a whole lot of sent messages. Gonna check through these now.

Phew, nothing recent there....feel guilty doing this.....sigh..gonna try to be a loving trusting partner ...mm...I'm like you W.I.M..H. the detective is a bit hard to kill in me......... But here's the thing- HE never seems to question where I go or what I do....how is HE so trusting ? But ME- I'm afraid that when I'm aware of his recent history with former girlfirends, I get a bit suspicious that 'something' unwelcome could intrude into our situation. In fact, I'm now considering getting HIS current phone when he's asleep and checking through the received and sent stuff. Oh Lordy, I'm a-losing the plot now .....