Singapore Expats Forum

How to get slim like the locals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Nov 2008 9:04 pm

It might do you good to really take a good look around. 30% of the local adult population are considered overweight. Being overweight might still let you dance but it will also let you dance right up till the time you fall over with a heart attack. Too much weight causes high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, high uric acid level, and a host of other problems.

Melasony
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue, 11 Nov 2008

Postby Melasony » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:41 pm

Frankly I see alot of good looking expat women women around,
I get jealous especially when I see white/hispanic women with nice curves hahaha..

I've been here for quite sometime and eat out quite oftent and yes, It STILL amazes me how locals stay slim, must be strongly on the genes because did you SEE THE FOOD THEY EAT?! when i saw how my local friends eat fatty food everyday without a care makes me want to hit my head against the wall and ask god why?!
someone posted above is pretty true, that alot of singaporeans tend to have fats beneath the bone so you don't see the excess weight so they appear slimmer but possibly more at risk of obesity/heart attacks than you are.

in 5 years my weight has been pretty regular so I think I've finally managed to beat the weight gain? hahah.. shouldn't say it too early though.

some of the things I do is
sleeping in a cold room, it makes your body shiver to create heat and in the process speeds up metabolism ( if I did not forget my science then that's the theory behind it )

I walk to public transport or spend alternate days in the gym for a slight run.

I eat everything that they eat but try to say leave out a bit here and there, like fries, potatoes, rice.
basically carbs.

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 5:45 pm

Melasony wrote:In 5 years my weight has been pretty regular so I think I've finally managed to beat the weight gain? hahah.. shouldn't say it too early though.

some of the things I do is
sleeping in a cold room, it makes your body shiver to create heat and in the process speeds up metabolism ( if I did not forget my science then that's the theory behind it )


:shock: OMG! How the hell do you sleep in a cold room in Singapore?!
Surely you don't keep the AC running just to creat a refrigerated sleeping environment? Ooh.......I feel chilly just reading this. Think I'd rather be a little overweight than freeze to death in my bed! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Melasony
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue, 11 Nov 2008

Postby Melasony » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 2:06 pm

ozchick wrote:
Melasony wrote:In 5 years my weight has been pretty regular so I think I've finally managed to beat the weight gain? hahah.. shouldn't say it too early though.

some of the things I do is
sleeping in a cold room, it makes your body shiver to create heat and in the process speeds up metabolism ( if I did not forget my science then that's the theory behind it )


:shock: OMG! How the hell do you sleep in a cold room in Singapore?!
Surely you don't keep the AC running just to creat a refrigerated sleeping environment? Ooh.......I feel chilly just reading this. Think I'd rather be a little overweight than freeze to death in my bed! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!


hahaha you're probably used to the sg heat eh?
Usually i leave my aircon at around 22 degrees at night, then snuggle into a nice quilt and sleep like a pig!
You should try it sometime! I'm sure you'd be addicted after 1 long day of sweltering singapore heat, you can just open your fridge and sleep infront of it :p

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 4:07 pm

Melasony wrote:Usually i leave my aircon at around 22 degrees at night, then snuggle into a nice quilt and sleep like a pig!
You should try it sometime! I'm sure you'd be addicted after 1 long day of sweltering singapore heat, you can just open your fridge and sleep infront of it :p


So you leave quite a heavy carbon footprint for no apparent reason then, huh?

Wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly to not use as quilt and turn off the aircon and turn on a ceiling fan? It's also a lot better for your health. One of the reasons Singaporeans miss so much time from work is the silly extremes of office temperatures versus the outside temps. This constant chill the heat then chill is not good for the health at all. Aircon also tend to keep you pores closed therefore tending to trap oils as well.

Melasony
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue, 11 Nov 2008

Postby Melasony » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Melasony wrote:Usually i leave my aircon at around 22 degrees at night, then snuggle into a nice quilt and sleep like a pig!
You should try it sometime! I'm sure you'd be addicted after 1 long day of sweltering singapore heat, you can just open your fridge and sleep infront of it :p


So you leave quite a heavy carbon footprint for no apparent reason then, huh?

Wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly to not use as quilt and turn off the aircon and turn on a ceiling fan? It's also a lot better for your health. One of the reasons Singaporeans miss so much time from work is the silly extremes of office temperatures versus the outside temps. This constant chill the heat then chill is not good for the health at all. Aircon also tend to keep you pores closed therefore tending to trap oils as well.


after a hard day's work, one should be allowed at least a little bit of guilt free pleasure of getting better sleep the way they prefer.

I take public transport from 1 side of the island to the other that totals about 4hrs of commute daily( passing on getting a car or motorcycle of my own ) and walk about a kilometer home frequently so I think I'm trying to balance out what I burn already.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:51 pm

Melasony wrote:
after a hard day's work, one should be allowed at least a little bit of guilt free pleasure of getting better sleep the way they prefer.



Good thing everybody doesn't feel that way. If they did, we'd be freezing in the dark in no time as the last of our fuels are consumed by people with no regard for conserving energy. (The MRT is going to run anyway so whether you take it or not is not material). The choice of burning energy for Aircon is your choice. :-|

hermanchauw
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat, 16 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby hermanchauw » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:14 pm

Min_Ong wrote:
cut out the fat from your meat.
never eat skin from meat. occasional bites maybe.
blot your food before you eat if you must. (i do that sometimes)

more rice, whole grain or white noodles.


but really,singapore's hawker food is fat fat fat.
Some misinformation here.

Fat is good. Not transfat though.

Grain is bad.
Movement coach, kettlebell coach, strength and conditioning coach, rehab therapist

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Published fact. 30% of Singaporeans are overweight. Don't know where you are looking unless it's just outside one of the Fitness Centres. 1 out of every three. Look around you. See two skinny locals? Good, then you might be the one out of three who is FAT. :P

Also, most of the trim ones are not healthy either. Just because you are trim does not mean you don't carry bad fat around your heart. Trim is only a visual term. It is not a measure of fitness.


In this morning's "My Paper" and the "Today" paper it was noted that fully 10 percent of Singaporeans are now "Obese" which is the next step above "Overweight". One has to wonder what the percentage now is of "overweight or more" locals today.

http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/EDC1 ... -are-obese

Looks like they are catching up with the world leaders, Australia and the US (who are now in 2nd place behind Aus).

lyonene
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009

Postby lyonene » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 1:45 pm

Hmmm..

my secret to staying slim is rationing portions of food and eating EVERYTHING with chilli. not your Macdonald's chili. I mean the local chilli padi.

I try to cook mostly at home, Soup with vermicelli and lots of vege and i throw in a whole bunch of chili same as when i go out.

choice of foods are usually less rice, more soupy stuff. i cut out alot of sugar because thankfully i don't have a sweet tooth but im huge on junk food. i could finish a large packet of ruffles in one sitting but now i control the portions by eating it over 3days. after awhile, i gradually noticed that my craving for junk diminished and prefer lighter tasting food over meat.

to aid in losing weight, drink juice daily. mix your juices with celery and carrot. i had a glass or two everyday.

perhaps my choice of food may seem bland, but they are cheap, fast and really simple to prepare.

i'm not a saint when it comes to eating, i still eat whatever when i feel like it but i do believe chilli helped in maintaining my weight.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 4:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:fully 10 percent of Singaporeans are now "Obese" which is the next step above "Overweight". One has to wonder what the percentage now is of "overweight or more" locals today.

It doesn't help that the population is aging, and in general weight and age increase in proportion. Excepting outliers like you, of course :)

I'm not overweight (yet!) and in fact most of my friends in middle age are keeping trim through exercise. Lucky for me I mix with active people. If you exercise often, you can eat anything you want and work it off. Most of us have sports injuries of some sort though. Seems you pay a price either way.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:05 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:fully 10 percent of Singaporeans are now "Obese" which is the next step above "Overweight". One has to wonder what the percentage now is of "overweight or more" locals today.

It doesn't help that the population is aging, and in general weight and age increase in proportion. Excepting outliers like you, of course :)

I'm not overweight (yet!) and in fact most of my friends in middle age are keeping trim through exercise. Lucky for me I mix with active people. If you exercise often, you can eat anything you want and work it off. Most of us have sports injuries of some sort though. Seems you pay a price either way.
Yes I have to agree SMS appears to be getting thinner with age, and no sports problems either, I only stopped running for 6 weeks and i've put 2kg back on and i hardly eat anything, though its more likely to be liquid, from juice..... :P I've been dry for 5 months, wow didn't realise its been so long since me and SMS had a beer

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:35 pm

Hint, Hint?

Who knows, if we can get all the regulars & SE & WIMH it would be a very nice conversational evening. I'll let you set it up this time as my last try last week didn't come off so well. I think all forgot about it plus I forgot it was a holiday weekend as well.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:if we can get all the regulars & SE & WIMH

Who are "all the regulars"? There are some people you definitely shouldn't put me in the same room with :devil:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:05 pm

Nothing like a drinking party to ruin plans of slimming down, huh? :roll:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests