Singapore Expats Forum

insect repellent that is safe during pregnancy?

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
LT123

insect repellent that is safe during pregnancy?

Postby LT123 » Sun, 21 Sep 2008 5:28 pm

does anybody know of an insect repellent that is safe to use during pregnancy, and where to get it? i'm looking for something without DEET, but also without other toxins (e.g. the Tiger Balm natural repellent says on the box that it is not advisable to use during pregnancy).
thanks!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: insect repellent that is safe during pregnancy?

Postby taxico » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:11 pm

LT123 wrote:does anybody know of an insect repellent that is safe to use during pregnancy, and where to get it? i'm looking for something without DEET, but also without other toxins (e.g. the Tiger Balm natural repellent says on the box that it is not advisable to use during pregnancy).
thanks!

it really depends on the ingredients. tiger balm might have camphor or some anti-spasmodic ingredient in it which is bad for pregnant people.

ask your doctor what you can use. i advise my pregnant patients to avoid products with DEET and if they MUST use some form of insect repellent product, i recommend they get citrus/citronella oil patches and stick them on the outer layer of clothings.

there're also other home remedies that act as insect repellent substitutes you might want to consider (not that i support it). eg, squirting listerine through an atomizing bottle.

would you rather itch/avoid the outdoors or harm your fetus?