Singapore Expats

Service Excellence in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
KneejerkBobby

Post by KneejerkBobby » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 5:42 pm

I think expats complain about this too much.

In my experience excellent service is definitely possible. Go to the right restaurants and you will be served with just the right amount of attention. Personally, when I'm dining I want unobtrusive but aware staff, and many restaurants deliver on this.

As for warm, highly personal service, like you can get in places like Australia...I've not seen it. But I don't fault the locals: often there are genuine communication difficulties, and these can be one-sided. Many of us have been listening to Singaporean cocktalk for years and understand it well, but for them it can be rare to speak to a foreigner...and we all have different accents, too!

One mistake some of my friends make is to compare Singapore service with that found in more expensive places. Sure, you can buy a top quality croissant and get a warm smile in London, but it costs about three times as much.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 5:59 pm

!!
#-o

SMS is there a better emoticon for this one?
KneejerkBobby wrote:I think expats complain about this too much.

One mistake some of my friends make is to compare Singapore service with that found in more expensive places. Sure, you can buy a top quality croissant and get a warm smile in London, but it costs about three times as much.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 6:50 pm

I guess that's why he's running a brothel and not an MNC. :roll:

You're right though, I've read some really imbecilic statements on this forum but that one certainly has to be one of the worst. :o

Think I can shorten his nick by getting rid of the first 4 letters? :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 2:48 pm

KneejerkBobby wrote: One mistake some of my friends make is to compare Singapore service with that found in more expensive places. Sure, you can buy a top quality croissant and get a warm smile in London, but it costs about three times as much.

So funny......service in Thailand or Vietnam is better but 1/3 less in price.

If we learn anything its that making comparisons from one country to another only opens a door to a discussion you normally don't want to hear.