Singapore Expats Forum

I finally got my driving license... need some advice!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sindhurella

I finally got my driving license... need some advice!

Postby sindhurella » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:36 pm

Hi! I'm an expat in Singapore who just recently obtained a driving license. I actually went through the whole drill to get it (theory tests and the practical test) and I'm so glad I FINALLY have it.

Before I hit the road in this state of elation, could you guys give me some tips on driving in Singapore? What are things I *have* to know? Is it easy to find parking in most places?

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks. :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:54 pm

First thing you do is throw away your mirrors, then snap off the indicator stalk.

You must dress correctly, buy a large welding mask, and if you are wearing a T-shirt , cut the sleeves off an old shirt and wear those on only the arm that faces the window.

Stick a cheesy sign like "God loves you" in the window and you are ready for the road.

Practice on the highway slowing snaking your way across all three lanes and back with out looking behind of you, once you mastered that you will blend in with the locals.

Oh one more tip, if you have an minor accident don't pull over to a safe spot just stop in the middle of the fast lane preferably on a blind corner, and stand around taking pictures.

sindhurella

Postby sindhurella » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 7:33 pm

That was... amusing.

I would follow your tips but I figured I could cause a revolution by possibly driving a little differently than that? ;)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 8:02 pm

QRM is right on. Do it that way.

Seriously, if your from a Queen's colony then you won't have any problem driving on the wrong side of the road. If you're a Yankee, then be careful of those wide right hand turns... most common failure is to turn into the near lane... the wrong lane.

I think it is easier to drive in Singapore that most other cities. Don't hurry, signal, it will be easy.

As to parking... all Singaporeans for some strange reason, are taught to always back into a space... makes for interesting comedy as the young lady repeats the process 13 times as she cannot find the center of the space.

Parking cant be a real b*tch at times... easy at others, depending where you are going and when.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 8:23 pm

if you are a yankee, make sure you know what to do at a roundabout! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:35 pm

be nice. I'll have you know we have roundabouts in the US. I think 90% of them are in Washington DC. Course they are called "circles" there. but the principle is the same.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 9:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:be nice. I'll have you know we have roundabouts in the US. I think 90% of them are in Washington DC. Course they are called "circles" there. but the principle is the same.

SMS >I think you're confusing roundabouts with tunabouts! :D Like drilling for oil off the US coast. :shock:

SIND ....I find the best way to drive here is ultra defensive or ultra agressive. If you drive "normal" you'll find yourself getting cut up by every idiot out there. a favorite here is if they see you indicating, is to drive along side you preventing you from moving into a different lane. Very Kiasu. There's some really terrible behaviour on the roads here ...be careful. Taxi's are some of the worst ...keep your distance from them. :mad:

Good luck

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 9:36 am

and while you're pasting "god loves us" and "imbecile on board" on your back window dont; forget to obscure your wind sheild view with badges of every club you've ever been a member of
and set your seat so low you can barely see over the bonet
and don't bother with a hands free kit. That fangled ear piece just looks silly and gets in the way when you're texting :D

Oh and dont; forget to explore the most convinient cash card top up service near you. You'll be needing it now there's more ERP gantry's than petrol stations

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:59 pm

bigfilsing wrote:SMS >I think you're confusing roundabouts with tunabouts! :D Like drilling for oil off the US coast. :shock:

I spent 8 years in Washington DC and 8 years on Oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm not confused. But maybe you are between tunabouts, turnabouts and tunaboats? Good try.

Used to occasionally play Chess on the park in the middle of Dupont Circle in Washington DC during nice afternoons and later watch the hookers plying their trades there in the early evening. (Got the devil out of there though when dusk hit - Not what you would call safe then).

:P

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 3:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I spent 8 years in Washington DC and 8 years on Oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm not confused. But maybe you are between tunabouts, turnabouts and tunaboats? Good try.

Damn thats what i get for being a smart arse and typing like a 4 year old :?

Fair cop :oops:

sindhurella

Postby sindhurella » Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:15 pm

bigfilsing wrote:I find the best way to drive here is ultra defensive or ultra agressive. If you drive "normal" you'll find yourself getting cut up by every idiot out there. a favorite here is if they see you indicating, is to drive along side you preventing you from moving into a different lane. Very Kiasu. There's some really terrible behaviour on the roads here ...be careful. Taxi's are some of the worst ...keep your distance from them. :mad:

Thanks, bigfilsing. Yeah, from the last few days of driving around I've noticed that taxis here really are quite annoying. I've seen worse in other cities, but I didn't realize the Singaporean taxi drivers are this impatient and reckless with their driving. I'm trying to keep my driving style a little bit on the aggressive side... it's the only style that seems to work around here!

gif
Regular
Regular

Postby gif » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:24 am

I can add avoid driving right behind trucks with open air materials. In 1 month I already got stomped by falling stones, luckily so far with no consequences to my rented car!

The a-bit-more-aggressive style is definitely the best approach, I come from Rome and I'm very well used to that, trying to minimize my aggressive driving mode here.

On the other hand, I got warned by the administration of my condo for having my rear left tyre exceeding less than few centimeters outside my parking lot, with "obstructing the way" and "improper parking"...there's so much to learn about behaviour!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 4:45 pm

Good summaries QRM and bigfilsing.

One you didn't mention is the local custom of horn use, and comparatively increased frequency.

This is to show how hurt one is at other drivers for their insignificant offenses.

For example, when someone is stopped in one's lane to make a legal turn, even if they have their flashers on, because it will cause one to have to change lanes and therefore make extra effort, and perhaps even to loose some face in the process.

Remember to toot at the other driver whenever one feels the need to express dissatisfaction at their lack of consideration. If it feels good, toot again, long and loud - they deserve it, you deserve it! And it gives one something to talk about at the dinner table.

Anyway, that's what goes through my mind when I see the kinds of silliness on the roads here. It's fun watching people letting their panties knot up over such mundane things.

For real infractions however, be sure not to flip the well-deserved bird in their general direction, as this is apparently some sort of criminal, potentially cane-able, offense.

You will expand your vocabulary to add a new verb - "horn", which translates to "to honk one's horn".
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape