Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore in December

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

here_i_am

Singapore in December

Postby here_i_am » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:22 am

What happens in Singapore on December? Specifically, I was wondering if they have any holiday activties in celebration of christmas or hannukah or anything? What do others typically do during this month to celebrate? A couple of friends and I are trying to decide whether to fly out or to stay behind.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:15 am

Most fly home if they can afford it. That or go on Hols somewhere in the region. Yes, Christmas is celebrated here - commercially anyway! It really hard to feel like it's the Christmas season here unless you are an aussie or kiwi as it's not "winter"! It's hot! And wet usually as well.

Hannuka is celebrated as well but as the Jewish community is small here (but strong) it's more a private affair that hasn't been stricken by the commercial god.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most fly home if they can afford it. That or go on Hols somewhere in the region. Yes, Christmas is celebrated here - commercially anyway! It really hard to feel like it's the Christmas season here unless you are an aussie or kiwi as it's not "winter"! It's hot! And wet usually as well.

Hannuka is celebrated as well but as the Jewish community is small here (but strong) it's more a private affair that hasn't been stricken by the commercial god.

Or South African that understand hot weather Xmas.........at long last again can I have one.
Zeenit

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:27 pm

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas..la la lala..........Instead, goin' home to face the hot roast with the AC goin' in 40 degree heat....yeah we're all mad............

Song: Christmas In The Southern Hemisphere

'When it's Christmas down below-io
Even though we don't have snow-io
It's every bit as cheer-io
In the southern hemispher-io
It's my favourite time of year
When it's Christmas in-
The southern hemisphere ! :roll:

Oi ! Where is the 'degree' key on the keyboard- IS there one ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:48 pm

You can have one of mine: ° or a couple if you want 'em: °°°°° but use 'em sparsely as they are hard to find! :P

Okay, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map

Open it up, find the Font & special letter you want, either highlight & select or double click the character you want, hit copy and then paste it into the text. Have fun to the Nth ° :wink:

casper153

rainy humid xmas

Postby casper153 » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 3:13 pm

well, i'm local. But listening to my parents recount their years in Canada ( white xmas, mornings spent shovelling the snow ) and me, having lived in NZ for 4 years ( summer xmas...having xmas lunch with friend's family, summer on the beach )...singapore...well, really commercial xmas.

Not much family xmas here, though my family celebrates it coz we r catholics.

Last year, I flew out of singapore on xmas morning to Australia. But it was nice, a change from the "commercial" xmas to family reunion xmas. Followed by New Year...

If u luv the feeling of "it's beginning to look a lot like christmas", i truly suggest "run run rudolph"...go somewhere else where xmas is celebrated with the "xmas spirit".

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 5:44 pm

ozchick wrote:I'm dreaming of a White Christmas..la la

not quite white christmas, but tanglin mall should be doing the white "foam" christmas.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 6:46 pm

durain wrote:not quite white christmas, but tanglin mall should be doing the white "foam" christmas.

haha. i was JUST thinking of that when i saw this post. the past two christmases we've watched it from the post office side b/c it seemed like a real "free for all". think maybe my older one can brave it this year :D