Singapore Expats Forum

If DUN = DON'T, then how is it pronounced?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:09 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:One of my friends studied Middle English (spoken in the medieval ages, I think). Boy was it different then. I'm sure some people then objected to the language evolving to take the form it does today.

I hate that stuff too, but who knows. The future belongs to the young people. Thank goodness this evolution is unlikely to happen in our lifetime, though with everything changing faster as time goes on... who knows. Dictionaries are being revised even in my short lifetime. Scary.

So, how come you just wrote your message in perfect (modern/current) English?

PS: Very nice website... and close to my heart... self actualization, self realization... much more.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:32 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:So, how come you just wrote your message in perfect (modern/current) English?

PS: Very nice website... and close to my heart... self actualization, self realization... much more.

bcos if i dun, u n d pple on dis forum wil nv no wat i wan 2 say.

:P

Thanks about the blog. Your signature 'question everything' is actually what one of my blog posts was all about. Check it out and let me know if we're thinking along the same lines or if you mean something different: http://www.joyfuldays.com/2008/08/think-deeply/

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 4:56 am

WIMH, just went through your blog as a result of the post above (don't know how I missed it before :oops: old age?)and I must say I like it a lot.

Introspective and intelligent writing and that quote by Lawrence Clark Powell, that's a keeper. It's on its way to my son. At least this way he'll know it's not just mum talking! :wink:
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 02 Oct 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks GC! I cannot take credit for the quote though, it's an automated program that changes everyday and is the only thing there that isn't written by me! But it makes the site new for myself everyday as well, not knowing what quote I will read and learn from tomorrow.

summerluv

Postby summerluv » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 2:28 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Why stop with 'dun'? What about 'oso', 'wan', 'wif', 'fren', 'cos', 'gt', 'nv', 'tat', and 'jus'?

From the Airline Careers forum:

congrat wawa, mt friend oso gt in to sia via malaysia open call last year.

Hi, does anyone know if there's ban for interview if u fail the 1st try? e.g gt rejected in rd 1...
cos i actually ask my fren and she said there is no ban... but juz wan to double check wif u guys...

nv ask her tat question

On this board, you'll notice that the people that actually make SQ cabin crew speak/write good English. Those that keep getting rejected don't seem to realize that the way they write affects the way they think and the way they speak.

I agree in every way. The h 'dun' 'oso', 'wan', 'wif', 'fren', 'cos', 'gt', 'nv', 'tat', and 'jus' etc, reminds me of an non-english speaking immigrant fresh off the boat.

And not the mention, it sounds so retarded and reminds me of a geeky asian in every way.

Sorry I know I'm going 'in' right now but it needs to stop, lol.

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Postby kaseyma » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:04 am

Think of it as a code language, like pig latin.

The users don't care what you think -- it's not meant for you.
:roll:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 1:24 pm

of course, it doesn't help when officially government sponsored events also adopt that sort of spelling.

Here is a packet of wet tissues handed out during Singapore Day last week in Melbourne.

edit: for those that can't read the tiny writing it says: "Very Clean Wan!"
Last edited by Splatted on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elska76 » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 1:41 pm

N the infamous "Tomolo" :P

Bonbon wrote:sooooooooo funny

"oredi "was the first word i came across....kind of cute, sounds like do rei mi

hahahaha
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 12 Oct 2008 1:14 am

wow

at first glance, funny, then, scary

it must be a joke

Splatted wrote:of course, it doesn't help when officially government sponsored events also adopt that sort of spelling.

Here is a packet of wet tissues handed out during Singapore Day last week in Melbourne.

edit: for those that can't read the tiny writing it says: "Very Clean Wan!"
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sun, 12 Oct 2008 9:59 am

uniquely singapore?

i don't see a problem with it because singlish is really part of the singapore culture...

(i apologize for departing from the original pronunciation topic)

similarly i don't mind funny words that arise in other cultures ("let's go eye-shopping for walker" in korea or "wanna axe whassup wichoo?" in the states) or other funny spellings that they have...

if i made a joke about "crooklyn" or have a "wallear for pie" nobody's gonna make heads or tails except those in the know.

but back to the OP... maybe DON'T = DON = DUN (rolls better on an asian tongue?)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:57 am

good that you mentioned it, to put it in context

Ebonical, for example, developments of the language give it color, no pun intended, and those kinds of evolutions have their place, as long as they are not a substitute for one's ability to grasp the language

because similarly, whenever hearing someone say "...axe..." instead of "ask", and there are of course many more, the same Moron Alert starts sounding as it does for "...fren...", etc.

taxico wrote:uniquely singapore?

i don't see a problem with it because singlish is really part of the singapore culture...

(i apologize for departing from the original pronunciation topic)

similarly i don't mind funny words that arise in other cultures ("let's go eye-shopping for walker" in korea or "wanna axe whassup wichoo?" in the states) or other funny spellings that they have...

if i made a joke about "crooklyn" or have a "wallear for pie" nobody's gonna make heads or tails except those in the know.

but back to the OP... maybe DON'T = DON = DUN (rolls better on an asian tongue?)
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sun, 12 Oct 2008 1:24 pm

i lup yew wrong taim!!!!!!! :lol:

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 12 Oct 2008 2:26 pm

phil30k wrote:"kek" awrijinates frum der Massively Multiplayer On Line Role Playing Game, "World of Warcraft".

Yes and no -- "kekekeke" is how you say "hahahaha" in Korean, and it filtered out into the geek world via WOW. (Hehen. Kusukusu.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague