Singapore Expats Forum

If DUN = DON'T, then how is it pronounced?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

here_i_am

If DUN = DON'T, then how is it pronounced?

Postby here_i_am » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:16 am

There is no point in this posting. I was just curious if anybody actually noticed how the word DUN was used and pronounced. I came across a couple of postings pleading for me to "Dun Miss!" which I assume translates to "Don't Miss!" ...

Is this really the way locals would be pronouncing the word in day to day conversations? I guess the U uses the short sound, pronounced like umbrella. But do they really drop the T when speaking?

durain
Director
Director

Re: If DUN = DON'T, then how is it pronounced?

Postby durain » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:44 am

here_i_am wrote:There is no point in this posting. I was just curious if anybody actually noticed how the word DUN was used and pronounced. I came across a couple of postings pleading for me to "Dun Miss!" which I assume translates to "Don't Miss!" ...

Is this really the way locals would be pronouncing the word in day to day conversations? I guess the U uses the short sound, pronounced like umbrella. But do they really drop the T when speaking?

welcome to singapore. :P

seletargates

Re: If DUN = DON'T, then how is it pronounced?

Postby seletargates » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 9:30 am

here_i_am wrote:

Yes. And in some settings it can be charming, relaxed, but in others, can be ever so confusing.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:12 am

Regardless if they talk like they have speech impediments or not, it is not a reason for spelling like that unless they are just plain lazy or ignorant or both. That also goes for all the rest of the bastardized spellings in the forum where they use sms'ese instead of common sense.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:50 am

Why stop with 'dun'? What about 'oso', 'wan', 'wif', 'fren', 'cos', 'gt', 'nv', 'tat', and 'jus'?

From the Airline Careers forum:

congrat wawa, mt friend oso gt in to sia via malaysia open call last year.

Hi, does anyone know if there's ban for interview if u fail the 1st try? e.g gt rejected in rd 1...
cos i actually ask my fren and she said there is no ban... but juz wan to double check wif u guys...

nv ask her tat question

On this board, you'll notice that the people that actually make SQ cabin crew speak/write good English. Those that keep getting rejected don't seem to realize that the way they write affects the way they think and the way they speak.

here_i_am

Postby here_i_am » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 4:30 pm

It took me 3 reads before I understood your posting...

:lol:

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:04 am

sooooooooo funny

"oredi "was the first word i came across....kind of cute, sounds like do rei mi

hahahaha

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 8:07 am

The problem is that there is a word 'dun' already in use in english. When it's used in place of don't (which of course is already used in place of do not) it has the potential to lead to confusion.

here_i_am wrote: "Dun Miss!" which I assume translates to "Don't Miss!"

It really means:

Repeated attempts to collect funds Miss! -or-
Brownish grey Miss!

So people in favor of dun, cos, cuz, wif, oredi will say -- but WE know what it means, and they are right. But when you willingly limit the people who understand your use of language, it compromises your message.

My guess is that most the people who do it, don't know and don't care.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:55 pm

yes, they live on Ignorance Is Bliss Street
road.not.taken wrote:So people in favor of dun, cos, cuz, wif, oredi will say -- but WE know what it means, and they are right. But when you willingly limit the people who understand your use of language, it compromises your message.

My guess is that most the people who do it, don't know and don't care.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 21 Sep 2008 6:53 pm

Add 'din' as a new way of say didn't or did not.

Aiyo!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 21 Sep 2008 7:15 pm

i still din understand... :)

vink
Regular
Regular

Postby vink » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:20 pm

Don't forget the forum laugh 'kekeke' which translates to hehehe..

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 7:18 am

"kek" awrijinates frum der Massively Multiplayer On Line Role Playing Game, "World of Warcraft". Dere xzists er langaje filter dat perpusli translates rittenn tax speech to preven der Alliance frum kommunikating wif der Horde race.

This is meant to enchance the illusion that the Alliance and Horde speak different languages. However "lol" (laugh out loud), translates to the Orcish phrase "kek" whenever it is typed out. Hence "kek" being used in place of "lol" by Warcraft geeks. "kekekek" doesn't translate as "lololol" but is meant to be even more geeky then people who use "kek".

I used to be a warcraft addict.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:35 am

Problem is, this is not WOW. My son finally grew out of that one, :whew!: And they should remember that. When in Rome...... Well, in this Rome we use the whole keyboard and as much as possible use standard English.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 9:54 pm

One of my friends studied Middle English (spoken in the medieval ages, I think). Boy was it different then. I'm sure some people then objected to the language evolving to take the form it does today.

I hate that stuff too, but who knows. The future belongs to the young people. Thank goodness this evolution is unlikely to happen in our lifetime, though with everything changing faster as time goes on... who knows. Dictionaries are being revised even in my short lifetime. Scary.