Singapore Expats Forum

Giving up Singapore Citizenship

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Binty

Giving up Singapore Citizenship

Postby Binty » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 7:45 pm

I'm having a bit of a dilemna trying to decide whether or not to apply for British citizenship. I'm a S'porean. There seems to be very little information available to help me make up my mind about the impact this would have on my S'prean citizenship!

Does anyone have any information about the process? For eg, At what point does one have to give up Singapore citizenship - in fact, does one have to give it up?

And does anyone know how that affects:
* CPF
* Bank accounts & Share investments currently held in Singapore
* Inheritance - eg, as a foreigner would one be eligible to inherit from one's Singapore parents?

Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated :)

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:25 pm

The correct answer would be to go consult a lawyer... but quick answer is that you don't have to tell Singapore that you're becoming a British citizen, so you'll have de facto dual citizenship. No idea about the rules on the British side though, as they will obviously know that you're Singaporean.

lesieur

Postby lesieur » Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:07 am

I am singaporean living in paris, having the same dilemma as u. Over here, from what I found out, u cant have dual citizenship bcos the moment u apply for one, the paperwork in france would require a fingerthumb print of u in done in singapore, and obviously Singapore will not agree unless u are really giving up your origin. Of coz it u really give u, u can take your CPf as well.

Xfr8dog

Postby Xfr8dog » Sat, 23 Oct 2004 3:02 am

While SINGOV's official position is against dual citizenship, if you take another country's citizenship and keep quiet about it, they won't know. However, when it comes time to renew your Singapore passport, you will be asked to declare that you have not acquired citizenship in another country. If you say yes, they will make you give up one, often with no crimminal penalty. If you say no, you have just made a false declaration, which may incur crimminal action.

As a male, liable to NS, I had to send them evidence of permanent residence every year in order to renew my exit permit. Now with a new passport, that would be a dead giveaway.

CPF - Until I asked for my money back, they still sent me statements. They'll be quite happy to hang on to it until you demand it.

Bank/Share Accts - I still have an account there and I still recieve dividend checks.

Templar

Postby Templar » Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:27 am

Boy, that's kinda tuff keeping quite about it. You sorta just know that SINGOV has got info on everyone and everything.

lesieur, I was not aware that the French do not allow dual citizenship. I know a bunch of folks in NYC who are dual French/American. They don't seem to think that it's an issue from the other side of the pond.

If you're young and have ways to go for NS and all that stuff I can understand it but with us old frogs who are past our maturity date, the inability to hold 2 nationalities just doesn't figure out quite right.

Oh, well, more to ponder I guess.

Wh|teLi|y

Postby Wh|teLi|y » Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:47 am

Is that all u are concerned about? the money, investment CPF??? I would think that to give up something, the other has to be better. No u dont lose ur CPF, its your hard earned money....n i think the govt is pretty protective n nosy to 'force' pp to have cpf. Its ur own money, ur choice.

Investment, what would u lose? any foreigner can invest in any country and still gain....should it prove to be a wise investment. Look at the number of singaporeans investing overseas.

Ur main concern should be ,...what is it about singapore citizenship u are willing to give up for British citizenship. Weigh the pros n cons and how much they mean to u.

Herve

Postby Herve » Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:18 pm

Hii, I am French leaving in Singapore. France has an agreement with each and every country to allow dual citizenship. In particular with the USA.

As far as I know, Singapore has no agreement with any country to allow dual citizenship: your are Singaporean or you are not.

From Uk

Dual Citizenship

Postby From Uk » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 6:48 am

Hi I am a Singaporean living in Uk right now, been here for almost a year...i think recently Singapore govt has been discussing about should they allow dual citizenship...no conclusion yet!

So u may want to wait a while as the possibility of allowing dual citizenship for Singaporean is very high.

btw, can anyone tell me how long do i have to live in Uk before i can apply for a citizenship? My status is i am holding a dependant/work visa for 2 years and according to the british high commissioner, i could apply for PR after the visa expires. I am just wondering could i straight away apply for citizenship instead since my husband is a brit?

Cason.Kang

please contact me Xfr8dog

Postby Cason.Kang » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 7:33 am

Hi, I really need to get in contact with Xfr8dog, however cant do it from my account. Please, if u get this message, email me at lisa.britcher@hotmail.co.uk. Many thanks
cason kang

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 8:31 am

To all the above who is having issue on Dual Citizenship

Please read this ACT

This was taken out from the Constitution Amendment after chap 133. Please read

* Singapore does not allow its citizen to hold dual nationality. Under the Articles 134 and 135 of the Singapore Constitution, a Singapore citizen may be deprived of his citizenship if he is 18 years old or above and has:

a) voluntarily acquired foreign citizenship, or having acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years, continues to retain it;

b) voluntarily exercised any of the rights of the citizens of nationals of a foreign country, such as voting in that country’s elections; or

c) applied for the issue or renewal of a foreign passport or used a foreign passport as a travel document.

* Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore citizens by birth or registration and permanent residents (PR) are liable for National Service (NS) when they reach the age of 16½ years. They are required to serve 2 or 2½ years of full-time service and up to 40 days of NS every year until the age of 50 for officers or 40 for the others.

Young Singaporeans who are accompanying their parents on overseas ventures must also discharge their NS obligations even if they have lived and studied away from Singapore for a period of time. This is regardless of whether they have taken up another citizenship. Those who are overseas and cannot register for NS in person should register by post by contacting the Central Manpower Base (CMPB). For those who are 11 years and above, accompanying their parents who are on overseas employment, a monetary bond of $75,000 or the sum of 50% of their parents’ combined annual income, whichever is higher, must be furnished. The monetary bond may be waived for parents who meet the requirements to apply for bond by deed with two sureties. A monetary bond will still be required for those who go overseas for other reasons (e.g. studies). It is an offence under the Enlistment Act to stay overseas without a valid EP or to fail to register for NS.

For clarifications on the various exit control measures and application details, please contact :

a) For males between 11 and 16½ years old:

Director, ICA
10 Kallang Road
Singapore 208718
Tel: (65) 6391 6100 (for general enquiries on passport extension)
(65) 6391 6276 or 6391 6171 (for enquiries on bond requirements)
Fax: (65) 6298 0837, 6298 0843
Internet: http://www.ICA.gov.sg
Email address: ICA_FEEDBACK@ICA.gov.sg

b) For males 16½ years old and above, who have yet to enlist for full-time NS:

Commander, CMPB
3 Depot Road
Singapore 109680
Tel: (65) 6373 3139
Fax: (65) 6373 3173
Internet: http://www.miw.com.sg
Email address: dotpointer@miw.com.sg

* A Singapore citizen of or over the age of 21 years and of sound mind who is about to become a citizen of another country may apply to renounce his Singapore Citizenship. However, the Government may withhold the registration of a declaration of renunciation-

a) if the declaration is made during any war in which Singapore is engaged; or

b) if the declaration is made by a person subject to the Enlistment Act unless he has

(i) discharge his liability for full-time service under section 12 of the Act;

(ii) rendered at least 3 years of reserve service under section 13 of that Act in lieu of such full-time service; or

(iii) compiled with such conditions as may be determined by Government.

If you have any other issues on this please reply
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!