Singapore Expats

Courier Service- Cheating courier

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Ranjith

Post by Ranjith » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 1:50 pm

Hi All,
3 months back I couriered couple of things to India via Singapore. Initially they told it will take max 10 days, but so far I haven’t received the goods. I contacted so many times and they given some excuses every time. Now their Singapore office phone is not working and last week I went to their office premises and I came to know that, they closed the shop previous week itself. I tried to contact their Indian- Chennai office, but I’m not getting any response from them. Is there any way that I can take legal action against them? Please advice.

regards,
Ranjith

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 3:49 pm

1) Gather everything you know about them: Business name, address, phone, names of any people you worked with.

2) Do a business search to see if you can identify the business, the business type, who owns it, and whether or not it has been properly wound up.

3) If the owners are still in Singapore, attempt to contact them personally. Make sure you have proof that you are a customer who has not received the goods.

4) If you cannot get them to settle then your only recourse will be the courts.

Frankly, unless you are talking about a shipment worth a lot of money you are screwed. A fly by night operator just disappears after screwing the customers, often to show up somewhere else under another name. It is very hard to get a judgment, even harder to collect a judgment from someone with no money.

Lessons learned... deal only with reputable companies.

Ranjith

Post by Ranjith » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for your valuable advice; Please let me know why you removed the company name which I mentioned in the blog? At least it will prevent others to make the same mistake which I did :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 9:21 pm

He probably removed it because it is not proven in a court of law so could possibly be construed as slander or liable.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers