Singapore Expats Forum

Home theatre projector

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Home theatre projector

Postby mondaymorningquarterback » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 1:13 pm

Im going to install a ceiling mount projector in my living room for entertainment use. Can anyone recommend a place that will install the whole system including the sound system. Or is it better to buy individually and put it together myself? Thanks!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 2:31 pm

We used a firm called Alvareo trading services to supply and install the ceiling mounted projector and screen plus carry out all the cabling works for the surround system.

Big joke is that we have never used it!! with the cost of plasma screens these days we bought a 55 inch plasma and that is used everyday instead.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Thaiclan » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 3:04 pm

We put ours together ourselves - its VERY simple. Not sure how much you paid for your 55" plasma but the HD LCD projector was less than $2k.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 3:25 pm

Its not just the projector cost once you add in the electric screen, power supply, very long and expensive data cables up and across the ceiling, black out blinds then it gets close to the TV cost.

Of course you can just stick the projector on a shelf and project it on to a white wall then it would be cheaper.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Thaiclan » Tue, 16 Sep 2008 3:29 pm

Didn't need any of that, just a surround sound system which are very cheap these days. Didn't need to purchase any screen just used the paint recommended for the best picture. No "special" cabling required just what came with the surround sound and StarHub cabled the TV/Xbox and DVD to it... I suppose it all depends which route you take but we are over the moon with our huge TV screen (3mx2.8m) - Nickelodeon never looked so good! :D

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 2:01 pm

There's a company called Hawko at Sim Lim Square (but don't let that put you off) who can supply all the parts you need, or install a complete system for you. In my experience they're a professional outfit. I purchased a projector from them a couple of years ago and had some initial teething problems; they took it up with the manufacturer on my behalf and got everything resolved without any fuss or 'push-back' that one often sees at SLS.