Singapore Expats Forum

Ghim Moh Market access

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Ghim Moh Market access

Postby ozchick » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 8:17 pm

Does anyone know a short way to get into the Ghim Moh Rd market area by foot or bicycle from Holland Rd (vicinity Coronation Rd West intersection)? We can go searching but maybe someone can tell us already yeah?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 9:13 pm

in holland village, at the back of cold storage, walk towards the swimming pool. cross the road and walk up some stairs (there's a fire hydrant there) and turn left. you will go thru a narrow path with building works on one side. follow thru until you see an overhead bridge (road and then KTM track under). off the bridge, straight ahead (slightly on the right) pass the HDB block is where the market is.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:13 am

durain wrote:in holland village, at the back of cold storage, walk towards the swimming pool. cross the road and walk up some stairs (there's a fire hydrant there) and turn left. you will go thru a narrow path with building works on one side. follow thru until you see an overhead bridge (road and then KTM track under). off the bridge, straight ahead (slightly on the right) pass the HDB block is where the market is.

Hey thanks Durain !
Oi ! How did you get to be a 'manager' ?! I was here first ! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 1:34 pm

You spent too much time getting acquainted with the rooster :oops and durain spent too much time up at all hours of the day & night with young'uns as a result of getting acquainted with Mrs Durain! Therefore, his post count is astronomical (compared to yours anyway!) :wink:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 5:31 pm

ozchick wrote:Hey thanks Durain !
Oi ! How did you get to be a 'manager' ?! I was here first ! :wink:

kiasu! :)

btw, have you found the route yet? i think it is easier to walk than to cycle unless you got a bmx and like going up and down stairs.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 5:47 pm

Yeah farm boy you could be right! :oops:

And Durain, I haven't gone the way you said, but will try it when I next shop at Holland Village on a weekend. But we live close to the intersection of Holland Rd and Coronation Rd West so we tried a back street that was the only one in the area and yeah we had to cart the the treddlies up stairs and over an overpass....buggar of a past-time I reckon...mm...and the only other way is via Buona Vista then Commonwealth West and then right into the market street itself. Pretty round about way of going ........anyway I fell off my treadly in the rain on Manday morning trying to ride on the footpath to avoid the danger...dear God my bike had to go to the bike hospital and I have bruises on both of my beautiful legs so...mm just thought if anyone wants to sympathise with me it was very embarrassing and stuff.... :-|

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 9:55 pm

Well you found the only short cut into the market, that train line and the schools are the things that causes all the problems and no through roads.

We tried walking the various routes and have never found a better way to get from Coronation Rd W to Ghim Moh, Durain's advice from HV is excellent to go the only back way into the market but it still uses an overpass as well. :wink:

You will just have to get those beautiful legs back into gear once the bike is out of hospital. Sorry to hear about your accident, never nice, the footpaths here are nearly as dangerous as the roads which no doubt is why people walk on the roads so much.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:22 pm

it's a bit pain going thru the bridge/train line if you are on bicycle unless you are a hardcore BMX rider! but good point is, it is in the shades/cover almost the whole route.

btw, have some papaya for your bruises. was told it speed up the healing.