Neighbor Put Hex on Us (?)

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
here_i_am
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 4:19 pm
Location: Singapore

Neighbor Put Hex on Us (?)

Post by here_i_am » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 8:21 pm

My neighbor's maid told my maid about finding eggshells on their window, and she asked her boss, an old lady, what they were for. Apparently, the neighbor had been putting a "hex" on our "evil spirits" by putting the shells on the window facing our unit's window. I dont understand what that's supposed to mean, but its got me creeped and angry. Any one here can explain to me what this broken eggshell thing all means? :???:

frenzal
Regular
Regular
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 1:10 pm

Post by frenzal » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 9:25 pm

does it matter what it means? do you really think that eggshells have some super power when combined with a chant?

trust science, instead ;)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:02 pm

The eggshells were probably uncooked and dried. The reason for this is it is a way to keep the chitchats away. There is something in the Eggshell inner skin that keeps the little munchers away. Cooked eggs won't work as the heat apparently removes or breaks down whatever chemical is repelling them. Some eggshells are good sprinkled behind your picture frames as the chitchats love to roost there and leave crap rolling down the walls, however, if you are a constant picture straightener then you will spend lots of time sweeping up the shells. We tell our clients to use this eggshell method as we believing in only giving pest control services when necessary. This we give freely over the phone. It does work but you will have to replace the egg shells periodically as the chemical disintegrates or breaks down.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:44 pm

Watch out for your maid they get all upset about this stuff, as some really believe in all this voodoo lark and can do stupid things to try and counteract the hex

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:07 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Some eggshells are good sprinkled behind your picture frames as the chitchats love to roost there and leave crap rolling down the walls.

Um, what's your definition of a "chitchat"?

You mean i have a household of tailing expat spouses gossiping behind my picture, because this could explain the voices in my head.

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Post by Global Citizen » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:34 am

Its actually a chichak or cicak (Malay) aka lizard.
One man's meat is another's poison.

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 4:09 pm

Post by mondaymorningquarterback » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 2:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The eggshells were probably uncooked and dried. The reason for this is it is a way to keep the chitchats away. There is something in the Eggshell inner skin that keeps the little munchers away. Cooked eggs won't work as the heat apparently removes or breaks down whatever chemical is repelling them. Some eggshells are good sprinkled behind your picture frames as the chitchats love to roost there and leave crap rolling down the walls, however, if you are a constant picture straightener then you will spend lots of time sweeping up the shells. We tell our clients to use this eggshell method as we believing in only giving pest control services when necessary. This we give freely over the phone. It does work but you will have to replace the egg shells periodically as the chemical disintegrates or breaks down.
which planet are you on?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:09 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The eggshells were probably uncooked and dried. The reason for this is it is a way to keep the chitchats away. There is something in the Eggshell inner skin that keeps the little munchers away. Cooked eggs won't work as the heat apparently removes or breaks down whatever chemical is repelling them. Some eggshells are good sprinkled behind your picture frames as the chitchats love to roost there and leave crap rolling down the walls, however, if you are a constant picture straightener then you will spend lots of time sweeping up the shells. We tell our clients to use this eggshell method as we believing in only giving pest control services when necessary. This we give freely over the phone. It does work but you will have to replace the egg shells periodically as the chemical disintegrates or breaks down.
which planet are you on?
SMS is on a planet much closer to earth than you are.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:58 pm

Guess I shouldn't tell him about Pandan Leaves then....... Or TCM for that matter! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:14 am

You know Voodoo as well then is it? ;) Live on the Dark Side.

User avatar
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Clementi all the way baby!

Post by boffenl » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 8:23 pm

I've heard the eggshell thing for the cheechahs (i guess we all have our own way to spell it!). But I cleaned the poop off the wall and they haven't been back---it's been like 6 months. Maybe I scared them lizards good--and they don't want to mess up my pretty wall! Anyway, seriously doubt the eggshells on the window are a hex--just means the old lady knows her stuff and doesn't want the lizards crawling in her windows! Maybe her maid is the real probelm.

User avatar
Left Wing
Regular
Regular
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri, 19 May 2006 9:19 am
Location: east coast

Post by Left Wing » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:20 pm

why dont you leave eggs, toast, butter and tea....see how they respond...

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:57 am

Left Wing wrote:why dont you leave eggs, toast, butter and tea....see how they respond...
that wont be for the cicak then. it would be for something else. :wink:

here_i_am
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 4:19 pm
Location: Singapore

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Post by here_i_am » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 1:25 am

Thanks! This sounds great! I guess a misinterpretation all around what with a Chinese neighbor with a thick accent and one Filipino maid talking to another... I should try that lizard repelling trick as I do notice quite a number in our kitchen too.

8-)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 7:14 am

I'll put it this way.....

We are one of the largest pest control companies in Singapore and we wouldn't be giving out that kind of info to potential customers if it wasn't "on".

Why chase away business? There are lots of home remedies that work. Some to greater or lesser extent than other. Some for durations of time that are longer or shorter than others. Never discount what you don't know. You might end up doing this:

Image

and end up with......

Image


:cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests