Singapore Expats Forum

UNJUST CAR ACCIDENT

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

casium

UNJUST CAR ACCIDENT

Postby casium » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 7:05 pm

My dad is a taxi driver and he accidentally knocked into a person's car this week. There is no obvious damage, and even my dad's taxi has no damage at all. My dad feeling apologetic paid him $20 as an apology and the person accepted it. However, today, my dad were told to pay the person $1500 for the damage he had done to the car by the insurance company. Is there anything my dad can do? This is totally rubbish? No damage and the person overpriced his repair to $1500. How can this thing happen man. Damn that driver, people beware, bastards like him exist in this world. Just hope that there is something my dad can do to counter his despicable act.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: UNJUST CAR ACCIDENT

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 7:24 pm

casium wrote:My dad is a taxi driver and he accidentally knocked into a person's car this week. There is no obvious damage, and even my dad's taxi has no damage at all. My dad feeling apologetic paid him $20 as an apology and the person accepted it. However, today, my dad were told to pay the person $1500 for the damage he had done to the car by the insurance company. Is there anything my dad can do? This is totally rubbish? No damage and the person overpriced his repair to $1500. How can this thing happen man. Damn that driver, people beware, bastards like him exist in this world. Just hope that there is something my dad can do to counter his despicable act.

That is what insurance is for, just this type of occasion. Have your Dad's car looked at by his insurance company and the car he hit. The insurance company will contest it if they feel the repair cost is unjust and it will get sorted out. This is what insurance is for and this is the oldest trick in the cheater's driver's manual. Sad but true.

casium

Postby casium » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 8:38 pm

but the bastard already did the repair and sent the bill to the insurance for the insurance to claim for him. and my dad already pay him 1k because my dad is gullible. man this is really upsetting. BASTARD! hope he get bang by car the next day. or he will get conned 10k.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 8:44 pm

If there was a bill, there must have been a repair? No matter, try to learn from it and move on. I'm guessing he won't make that mistake again, you either. :roll:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 8:45 pm

The moment an accident happens, stop the nearest person on the street who saw it and ask if they mind being witness and get their details. Save them as your ace card, wait till the other guy confirms in writing his explanation. Then bring out your ace card and highlight that its a criminal offense to make a false claim, they usually disappear after that.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 8:53 pm

casium wrote:but the bastard already did the repair and sent the bill to the insurance for the insurance to claim for him. and my dad already pay him 1k because my dad is gullible. man this is really upsetting. BASTARD! hope he get bang by car the next day. or he will get conned 10k.

But, this is not how insurance works in Singapore. You can only take your vehicle to an approved body shop. They will assess damage and contact insurance companies. If you go elsewhere, your claim can be denied. This guy has done it wrong (at least with the information you have provided). Your Dad shouldn't pay him anything. Let the insurance companies sort it out.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 9:02 pm

Its a bit strange you would have thought being a taxi driver he would know every trick in the book. Unless he did not have proper insurance in which case the other guy can squeeze him for almost anything.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 9:59 pm

Agree with SE, I thought that this was exactly what the new insurance laws were all about. You can't do this any more.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:47 am

QRM wrote:Its a bit strange you would have thought being a taxi driver he would know every trick in the book. Unless he did not have proper insurance in which case the other guy can squeeze him for almost anything.

you got a darn good point there.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:22 am

From 1st July, all sort of accident cases, including minor scratches to any part of the car have to be reported to IDAC within 24hrs. This is to safeguard yourself from any exorbitant claims made by the other party.

Back to the topic, have you reported the case to IDAC?

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby mondaymorningquarterback » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 1:14 pm

New regulations require all accidents no matter how minor to be reported. Did your dad take photos? If theres no visble damage then there should not be any repairs at all and I would question the $1500 in repairs. $1500 is alot of repairs btw. I smashed up an alfa romeo at the back one time and it only cost sg$500.

sampas

Postby sampas » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:51 am

Well your dad should reported the incident to proper authorities. Also when the guy's insurance asked for 1.5k then your dad should contest it.

Anyways lesson learned.

vink
Regular
Regular

Postby vink » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:24 pm

Did your dad report the accident to his insurance company within 24 hrs? Even if they had settled the matter privately, it is better to report it to the insurance company in case the other party claims against your insurance.