Singapore Expats Forum

NUS exchange

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:54 pm

Hmm, I thought halls and residences were the same thing. :?

If either of you want to chat to someone already at NUS (and I'm here for 4 years, so will still be around when you arrive!) and ask me anything about the uni/country/being a foreign student here/where to go drinking add me on msn:

Nixxy666@hotmail.com

Did you mention what you're studying? I'd be able to show you around the science faculty at least ;) And they do the best avocado milkshakes in our canteen...

Eilidh

birkin

Postby birkin » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:52 pm

Nixxy wrote:Hmm, I thought halls and residences were the same thing. :?

If either of you want to chat to someone already at NUS (and I'm here for 4 years, so will still be around when you arrive!) and ask me anything about the uni/country/being a foreign student here/where to go drinking add me on msn:

Nixxy666@hotmail.com

Did you mention what you're studying? I'd be able to show you around the science faculty at least ;) And they do the best avocado milkshakes in our canteen...

Eilidh

Yup!! Second the avocado milkshakes in the science canteen! :D

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Mon, 15 Sep 2008 1:19 am

mmmm milkshakes. ill be sure to try one of those when i get there. ill be studying engineering. you're a foreign student nixxy? where did you come from? Also, i added you on msn : )

Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:10 am

Did you add me? I have no new friends, unless I ignored you by accident :op

I'm from England, but make a point of letting everyone know I'm originally Scottish despite my desceptively plain English accent!

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 2:04 pm

yeah, i added you. i think you accepted it cuz i can see that your name is Singapie so ill msg you or something the next time i see you on and im on. What part of england are you from, london? please tell me you watch football :)

Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Thu, 18 Sep 2008 8:55 pm

I am from Grantham, near Nottingham. 1hour 10mins north of London on the train ;) I was in Leeds for 4 years for uni and I miss the North so much! I support Dundee United...don't have an English team to be honest...but I used to love going to the pub with the lads to watch the footy with a few pints. Mainly for the beer bit I guess :) You a big football fan? I'm more of a rugby girl really.

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:17 pm

chelseaaaaaa :)

vuieeuivnzpi

halls vs residences

Postby vuieeuivnzpi » Tue, 23 Sep 2008 1:59 am

Hey guys, it might be too late for most of you but I saw this topic and thought I'd add my two cents...
I did an exchange at NUS for 2 semesters last year. I stayed off campus at Gillman Heights condo because I didn't apply for on-campus residences in time. Frankly, you don't need to worry about meeting other exchange students at NUS no matter where you live. The atmosphere among exchange students is about meeting as many people as possible and everyone is extremely open and friendly.
Meeting locals is a bit more difficult as the NUS students are usually pretty busy and not always as open to meeting new people. It's understandable, I'm sure many of us are the same way when we're at our home universities. Nonetheless, I think it would be better to stay in a hall with locals (anything but PGP, Prince George's Park). It's harder to get into but you'll meet locals as well as exchange students.
Singapore is probably one of the best places to study abroad, I'm even looking into graduate school there now ^^
PM me if you've got any other questions, I don't really check this forum anymore unless i'm bored and reminiscing :P

Happygoer

Hi

Postby Happygoer » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 5:58 pm

Hi, I'm a fourth year local student at NUS. I'm glad to hear positive experiences of studying here. If there's anything that you would like to know about Singapore, feel free to contact me :)

yoong

Postby yoong » Wed, 01 Oct 2008 9:20 pm

hey... PGP is a good place to stay. I have been staying there for the past 3 years.

Almost 95% of the students are international students, and you should be able to get around with them easily.

Although the rooms are quite small and if you're really LUCKY, you should be able to get to know your clustermates very well. (Those full-time, non-exchange students are usually very very busy and they dont practise open-door culture!!!)

Travelling is cheap in South East Asia.

if you need any help, do let me know.

have fun in singapore.

cheers.
leeyoong

alittlespiceinlife

Postby alittlespiceinlife » Tue, 21 Oct 2008 4:47 pm

hey there!
im a local student in NUS. just something to share.. i think its better to stay on campus cos u will get to meet loads more ppl than if u stay in residences outside. PGP is a good place, clean, nice and quiet with its own canteen and supermarket. but it's quite inaccessible. well if u like to know more locals and know exactly how local students lead their lives u can apply for halls. im currently stayin in temasek hall (for the 3rd year already). we have a lot more activities than pgp. if u wanna know more about hall life just msg me! =)

eminlik

HELP!!!

Postby eminlik » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 2:50 am

i am a student from Hong Kong
I am going to exchange to NUS in jan for 1 sem
i am waiting for the offering package
i didn't know that i needa apply for the acommodation when i applied for the exchange........
i dun know wht to do.
can anyone please help!!!! :(

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 1:02 am

http://www.nus.edu.sg//osa/housing/acc/ngd_apply.html

check out that website or try contacting Faridah R Harrison

regfrh@nus.edu.sg

dreamlover88

PGP Residences

Postby dreamlover88 » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 6:42 pm

Hi,

I'm an exchange student. I applied early for housing and everything, but due to the fact that my module application had some issues I wasn't placed in PGPR. And I would really like to be there because the two people I know from my university are living there and I think it would ease my transition to a foreign country being near people I know. Also, I don't want a meal plan. I don't mean to sound whiny, but is there anything I can do? I'm currently in Raffles. Can I do a dorm/residence hall change? Is it possible that I will get moved to PGPR? Do people normally cancel housing? Any help woul dbe much appreciated! Thanks.

icezone

Postby icezone » Mon, 01 Dec 2008 1:46 am

Hi, I aslo applied to PGP and didn't get in. I also have been given accomodation at Raffles Hall but not sure it I want to stay there or not. I am currently looking at off campus accomodations.