Singapore Expats Forum

NUS exchange

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
batman_hood

NUS exchange

Postby batman_hood » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 2:16 pm

Hey, i'll be in Singapore going to school at NUS for the Jan 09 semester and coming all the way from Canada.

Just wondering whats there to do for Singapore for students and if there is a good way to meet people and make new friends down there.

thanks!

Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 4:16 pm

Do you know if you'll be living in halls? Exchange students usually live in Prince George's Park Residences (PGP) and there are loads of organised events so you will meet tonnes of people no problem. There's an NUS exchange students group on facebook...they tend to meet up every Wednesday for student style drinking on the bridge, followed by cheap ladies nights.

I'm a graduate student so I live on my own miles from campus and don't meet as many students :( Still loving it here though. What are you studying?

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:24 pm

yup, i applied to PGP around two weeks ago so i'm still waiting to hear back from that. I'll be studying electrical engineering, how about yourself? so you think the best way to meet most ppl is from those events? that was the one thing i was worried about, going all the way over there and not meeting anyone!

Renewed
Regular
Regular

Hey there

Postby Renewed » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 4:20 pm

You found the right forum and you will have lot of options to meet new people. I would recommend u thou to have intense travel plans to different parts of south eats Asia. One thing u have to be worried about the boring devil in Singapore that hits anyone who stay longer (3 or more weeks in a row in the island :) ) She finds pleasure in depressing u :D

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Mon, 08 Sep 2008 2:06 am

what parts do you think its best to travel too? are there any good places to go on a budget (remember, i am a student!!) haha. thanks

Renewed
Regular
Regular

Some suggestions...

Postby Renewed » Tue, 09 Sep 2008 7:19 am

OK Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Hong Kong...see I didn't suggest Australia, New Zealand, China and India since u are a student.

I have seen several students traveling to those countries very nearby to Singapore. The exact places u may want to go depends on your personal choice and of course on your budget. I would even recommend reading some lonely planet books on south east asia and some book on Singapore itself.

hoon

Travelling

Postby hoon » Tue, 09 Sep 2008 9:50 pm

Yeah thailand, mlysia, indo, cambodia basically S.E.Asia would be cheap and lovely :)

rosie_belle

Postby rosie_belle » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 4:38 pm

Hi batman_hood, I'm a student from Australia coming on exchange to NUS at the same time as you! I don't know anyone else in Singapore either so am really keen to meet new people too!

I'm still working out my housing... So you think Prince George's Park is the best place to stay hey?

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 1:28 am

hey!!! nice to meet you. yeah, i think PGP is definitely the place to stay if your an exchange student. have you applied yet? this is from what i've heard of course. where are you coming from? send me a PM ( i think i know how to check them) and maybe we can get each other on msn or something.

birkin

Postby birkin » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:18 pm

Yup, PGP is the place to stay for exchange students! I believe it's the hall with the most number of foreign students in NUS.

Don't worry about meeting people! You can join the many co-curricular activities or even make friends with those you work on sch projects with :)

I worked on a project with a Canadian exchange student last year and he certainly had no problems fitting in and making friends. He even found himself a girlfriend in NUS....lol.

cocoinsingapore

Postby cocoinsingapore » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:33 am

Hey there !

Can interns also join some student events?
What are you guys doing in your free time?
I'm looking for some ppl to hang out with...only arrived 1 week ago.

So if somethings happening, pleez let me know :)
New in the city...I need some friends here who show me the city and to go out with :) Anyone wants to show me around?

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 4:29 pm

Wow, even found a girlfriend in NUS? thats impressive. it seems like it will be a great experience. I'd love to meet as many people as I can so when i go over there, theres already people that i know. i'm sure that ill meet many more when i get there too.

How long are you there for cocoinsingapore? i wont be there for another few months (till january)

cocoinsingapore

Postby cocoinsingapore » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:29 pm

Oh ok :) Hehe yeah I'll be there til mid March I think, depends on when my Uni starts back in Germany, I have no idea actually :p

So would be cool to catch up when you get here!
New in the city...I need some friends here who show me the city and to go out with :) Anyone wants to show me around?

batman_hood

Postby batman_hood » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:12 am

yeah, that would be cool. what are you studying? send me a PM and maybe we can get each other on some messenger or facebook or something.

rosie_belle

Postby rosie_belle » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 1:15 pm

I'm from Melbourne, so not coming quite as far as you guys are! i haven't applied for housing yet... still checking out my options. The exchange advisor guy at my uni was encouraging me to stay in the Halls instead of the residences... he said it was a good way to get to know the locals and apparently they have lots of group type activities there too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on halls v residences? Thanks!!!

As for spare time... wanna get out travelling as much as possible. Flights are so cheap in Asia! it's great.