Singapore Expats Forum

cooking class

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

daytripper65
Regular
Regular

cooking class

Postby daytripper65 » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:06 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find a cooking class? Nothing elaborate, I'm a blank palatte :-k Just would like to learn how to make some Chinese dishes, local dishes, use different types of ingredients, spices, etc. I live near Clementi MRT. Would appreciate any experiences and information. Thanks!
Let your soul and spirit fly
...into the mystic--VM

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:59 pm

There is one in my links page under the head of "Domestic Help / Courses for Maids / House Cleaning Services" in the centre column. While it's geared for domestics it would also serve, I'm sure as a basic cooking course as well for most anybody as it's run by an expat I believe.....

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:02 am

Your nearest CC (Community Centre) will have classes I'm sure. Usually very affordable and run by local aunties who have been cooking for years and want to share both their cooking skills and bubbly personalities.

Or buy a cookbook on local dishes from any big bookshop and experiment on your own. Have fun!

daytripper65
Regular
Regular

Postby daytripper65 » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:49 am

Thank you, will check into those a.s.a.p.
(before my family withers away)
Let your soul and spirit fly

...into the mystic--VM

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 4:15 pm

I've been Sharmay's & Bentfork at Holland Village, a few different programs @ Sunrice in Fort Canning and Raffles. All were good, but it really depends on what you're after. I'm glad I went for sure, but you learn fairly early on that you can walk out your door and probably get better local food than you can make at home.

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:05 am

I second Wind in My Hair on the CC courses. They are not expensive and if it's basic cooking that you want, you'll be happy enough with them.

If you want to have a nice day out while learning how to cook, Ruqxana (http://www.cookerymagic.com/) runs a Malay cooking class at Pulau Ubin. She also does organic farm cooking and daily home cooking (simple Chinese, Malay, Thai, Indian etc dishes) classes in her home, if I'm not wrong.

I've been to Shermay's. The instructors are good but I'm not fond of demo classes, I still prefer some hands on. For that I prefer the cooking classes at at-Sunrice. Plus Fort Canning's a lovely setting.

If you want to learn how to make sushi, Tempura etc, I would recommend the California Sushi Academy in Singapore. It's at Liang Court at Clarke Quay.

There are other schools like Palate Sensations and Coriander Leaf, but if you're just starting out, I still think the CCs will be best in terms of range and cost.

Cooking is easy once you get both the Art and the Science of it.

Good luck!
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

Chingzz

Postby Chingzz » Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Forummers,

Do you have any recommendations for baking classes??

Mathew_in_SG

Postby Mathew_in_SG » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 9:06 am

Hi Jen Tan,

My girlfriend and I are interested in your instruction - how do we contact you??

M