Singapore Expats Forum

Change jobs in 2 months

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jack_Hunk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 01 Sep 2008

Change jobs in 2 months

Postby Jack_Hunk » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 6:11 am

I'm a foriegner and I've recently accepted a job in a popular bank (name suppressed) and the location is outside Singapore. But I'll be in Singapore for a training for a duration of 3-6 months. Since I don't want to leave Singapore I plan to try for another job as soon as I land there. I'd like to know if there will be any issues if I quit this Bank in about 2 -3 months time. Will the other companies question me too much on this quick jump?

Also it would be nicer if someone can help me on this. I also got a promotion in the same company I'm working currently. Its one of the top IT companies in the world (name suppressed). Because of my desire to work in Singapore I've turned down the offer. Can someone suggest if this is a wise desicion. I'm quite confused and I'm afraid if I'm taking a wrong decision. Should I take up the offer and try for a full fledged job in Singapore probably 3-6 months later?

How is the job market for IT Database Administrator in Singapore. Any suggestions is highly appreciated. Thanks!

User avatar
krptykcookies
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 23 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: Change jobs in 2 months

Postby krptykcookies » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 7:47 pm

Jack_Hunk wrote:I'm a foriegner and I've recently accepted a job in a popular bank (name suppressed) and the location is outside Singapore. But I'll be in Singapore for a training for a duration of 3-6 months. Since I don't want to leave Singapore I plan to try for another job as soon as I land there. I'd like to know if there will be any issues if I quit this Bank in about 2 -3 months time. Will the other companies question me too much on this quick jump?


Yes! it will look bad on your CV and yes, prospective employers will question your short stint with the prev org and the reasons for wanting to apply for a new position. They will no doubt wonder whether you have any intentions staying longer with them since you didn't stay long enough with the prev one.

Jack_Hunk wrote:Also it would be nicer if someone can help me on this. I also got a promotion in the same company I'm working currently. Its one of the top IT companies in the world (name suppressed). Because of my desire to work in Singapore I've turned down the offer. Can someone suggest if this is a wise desicion. I'm quite confused and I'm afraid if I'm taking a wrong decision. Should I take up the offer and try for a full fledged job in Singapore probably 3-6 months later?


If it was for a job promotion in a top IT company and you did not accept it I am of the opinion that you made a bad move and only because you want to work in SG! What made you think you would get a better offer in SG than the one you were offered? Currently the IT field is in over supply of IT personnel resulting in hiring of cheap labour from across the border as well as from other parts of Asia. Unless you don't mind settling for a position & pay that is of a lower standard than the one you were offered I had say it would be better if you took the offer you had WHILST looking for a good one in SG thereby should one come up you would have a better bargaining power in terms of pay as well as role.

Jack_Hunk wrote:How is the job market for IT Database Administrator in Singapore. Any suggestions is highly appreciated. Thanks!


There is currently an over supply of IT personnel in this field. Recently I got to know of someone (DBA administrator) who had attended a 3-hour long (final) interview with a company in SG and when he had finished the company fedback to the headhunter that they would like to put this candidate in the KIV folder as his asking salary was way beyond their expectations!
Cool as cool can be

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 8:25 pm

I generally agree with krptykcookies's comments but I would add one clarification. Yes, IT folks are a dime a dozen but what is missing are the really good ones... like a solutions architect with the Asian experience to design a server/network solution spanning 16 countries and 7,000 staff. This is much more than technology... it is understanding network availability and costs, infrastructure stability, and skill levels of IT professionals throughout Asia.

These kind of people will make real money.

I would add that I think you are ethically challenged to join this company and accept the training when you know your only intention is to leave.

User avatar
stevebags
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat, 23 Aug 2008
Location: Singapore

Short stints on CV

Postby stevebags » Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:26 pm

I agree with the previous replies. Gaps and short stints on the CV are big red flags. Is the location of your new position that bad that it is worth alienation? You can always visit Singapore!!!

Jack_Hunk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 01 Sep 2008

Postby Jack_Hunk » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 9:02 pm

Guys.. Thanks a lot for all the wonderful suggestions.

After speaking to a dozen other people and people at home I have decided to accept the promotion in my present company. I've decided to stick on for another 6months and then try for a better job using this promotion.

I have been informed today by my new employer that the Singapore EP has been approved! (Adds to all the more confusion.. :???: which must have been a happy news normally :roll: ) Anyways can I check with someone if I'll have troubles entering Singapore later (say after 6months) incase I do not want to enter Singapore now with this EP. What should I ask my new employer to do now so that I'll not have troubles entering Singapore later. Thanks again!

User avatar
krptykcookies
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 23 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby krptykcookies » Wed, 03 Sep 2008 9:25 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I generally agree with krptykcookies's comments but I would add one clarification. Yes, IT folks are a dime a dozen but what is missing are the really good ones... like a solutions architect with the Asian experience to design a server/network solution spanning 16 countries and 7,000 staff. This is much more than technology... it is understanding network availability and costs, infrastructure stability, and skill levels of IT professionals throughout Asia.

These kind of people will make real money.

I would add that I think you are ethically challenged to join this company and accept the training when you know your only intention is to leave.


I would say it depends on the sort of industry that an IT pro is applying for. If it is for organizations like Google or Microsoft or Credit Suisse or Boeing then yes the lot of developers are a prized possession to these companies and only the good ones are taken. If it is for a 'jack of all trades and master of none' sort of company then IT personnel are a dime a dozen. However with the economic slowdown these days most organizations are beginning to outsource their IT department or software applications. Especially in the banking sector. So if an Oracle DBA specialist is looking out for a job that will pay well he will have to look out for industries that cannot live without Oracle.
Cool as cool can be

loepis2154
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 03 Oct 2008

Postby loepis2154 » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 9:00 am

Actually, is there any minimum service period for S pass holders? My friend holds S pass and resigned after 3 months - 2 months notice period- and he got fined S$1000 by the government(?).
And is it okay that my employer to pay this month salary deficit on next month because the paycheck already issued?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 1:47 pm

loepis2154 wrote:Actually, is there any minimum service period for S pass holders? My friend holds S pass and resigned after 3 months - 2 months notice period- and he got fined S$1000 by the government(?).
And is it okay that my employer to pay this month salary deficit on next month because the paycheck already issued?


No there is no minimum service period for S pass holders.

No, you/your friend did not get fined by the government. Maybe the employer had a bond in the contract that was overlooked when signing the contract. Because "S" pass holders are becoming less and less dependable, it is becoming common for employers to include a minimum length of employment bond amount in the contract. Or maybe you/your friend ignored the contract and just signed on the dotted line.

Additionally, if you/your friend quit after only 3 months, then IRAS would required a Tax Clearance to be filed and the Employer would be required by law to withhold your/his pay until such time as the tax clearance was given by IRAS. Also If he/you worked and was in Singapore for over 60 days, then your/his tax liability to IRAS would be a flat 15% of the gross earnings. The employer is required to pay this and are also required to withhold all salary in order to pay the tax liability(in case the employee tries to skip the country without paying). The balance would then be given to the employee. It's takes from 14 days to 1 month to get Tax Clearance from IRAS. 14 days if it was done online but if the employee shortchanged the employer after them going to the trouble to get an "S" Pass, they may well file it manually which will take up to a month. This means it will be a month before seeing the last paycheck. They are required to withhold all payments from the date of filing tax clearance. Which if they filed it just before the payday, then they would have to possibly withhold almost two months of wages.

Additionally, they may well write to MOM to blackball the departing employee. It's been done before.

sms

loepis2154
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 03 Oct 2008

Postby loepis2154 » Fri, 03 Oct 2008 4:57 pm

well, i have confirmed about this minimum service period with Singaporean and got the same answer, altho I crosschecked to iras website and i don't see anything about penalty. Maybe it's the contract, but my friend told me it was payment for the tax department or something.
And about PR application, why is it possible there are some who got it after years and some only by few months?

thanks for the infos, sms


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest