Singapore Expats Forum

ceroc- modern jive- west coast swing

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
joski

ceroc- modern jive- west coast swing

Postby joski » Sun, 31 Aug 2008 9:52 am

Hi,

I've danced ceroc/modern jive for over 3 years in Australia & London and since being in Singapore have desperately wanted to dance but of course its all 8 week course and salsa, salsa, salsa- don't get me wrong Salsa is great but....

I'm really missing being able to juts turn up to dance classes casually and not have to commit to a course as my work due to travel isn't that flexible.

I'm away or either on international conference calls at night :)

So I'm looking for anyone out there who also knows ceroc / modern jive - I'd love to know how many of us there is out there so let me know if this is yo

BTW- West Coast Swing - would love to take this up so if you know where its being taught in Sing let me know!

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hei guess what » Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:59 am

A few years back, a guy from Sydney started to give Ceroc lessons once a week, I think it was at BQ Bar on Boat Quay. Unfortunately, it did not really take off . . .

As for West Coast Swing, have a look at this thread
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic48189

8-)

joski

Postby joski » Sun, 31 Aug 2008 2:35 pm

thanks for the thread- unfortunately - thats also not taken off....

I'll keep looking though- it will appear !

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hei guess what » Sun, 31 Aug 2008 6:02 pm

You're welcome :)

joski wrote:unfortunately - thats also not taken off....

In that case, the closest you will find is Disco Rock which is taught at most of the ballroom dance studios under Social Dance together with Rock n Roll; besides the usual standard Latin (cha cha, rumba, samba, jive and paso doble) or Modern Ballroom (waltz, foxtrot, quickstep and tango) dances.

http://www.rpmerleon.com/dance_type.php
http://www.johnjosephinedance.com.sg/danceClasses.html

Have fun . . .

melomane

Ceroc

Postby melomane » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 2:34 pm

Hi Joski,

I've also danced ceroc in Sydney for a couple of years and will be coming to work and live in Singapore in mid Nov. Curiously I had a chat to Sing, the owner of Jitterbugs, and she indicated there is a teacher from the UK who is interested in teaching ceroc. I also noticed today that they have a Modern Jive class running on Sunday at Turf City(?). I don't know if the class actually got started so I have emailed the school and will keep you posted.

I worked in Singapore a couple of years ago and I did have a small group of friends who used to go out ceroc dancing to different venues (Post Bar etc). I'll be contacting the old gang soon to see if anyone is still around. If you do have anymore information then please pass it on. If there are anymore 'hidden' modern jive or ceroc dancers on the board feel free to send me a message as I will try and organise the odd social night as time permits.

Cheers

Louis :wink:

bhamadi

Postby bhamadi » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 6:47 pm

Hi,

I used to Jive in Plymouth Devon UK for many years ... I would also
like to join some small group to enjoy evenings with good music
Let me know, please, if you find a place where people jive.
East, West, North, South I do not mind ...

Brahim

molihua

Line Dance sessions and folk dance nites are the norm

Postby molihua » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 1:58 pm

Hi New Residents

I know dance sessions where u pay $2. Very flexible. the instructors even teach u the steps but not cerco dance, dun noe wat that is.

In singapore we dance line dance, cha cha, rock, jap folk dance, taiwan folk dance. if u ask me, dance is all the same. we also dance using fans kung fu fan, feather fan, silk fan, silk scarfs and flowers

cest la vie. comment sava

foxyladysg

Re: Ceroc

Postby foxyladysg » Mon, 01 Dec 2008 5:31 pm

melomane wrote:I've also danced ceroc in Sydney for a couple of years and will be coming to work and live in Singapore in mid Nov. Curiously I had a chat to Sing, the owner of Jitterbugs, and she indicated there is a teacher from the UK who is interested in teaching ceroc. I also noticed today that they have a Modern Jive class running on Sunday at Turf City(?). I don't know if the class actually got started so I have emailed the school and will keep you posted.

I am that teacher. Used to dance Lindy with Sing back in london in the early 90's (and danced for a time with the jiving lindy hoppers). Been concentrating on ceroc for 7 years (modern jive really as ceroc as written can be quite limiting) and WCS for the last 2 - all in London and at weekenders in the UK. As well as learning ballroom and latin and argentine tango... My personal preference is for blues style ceroc with some WCS styling thrown in, but I teach 'vanilla' ceroc...

Have started some lessons up through the british association - beginner only and very low key at the moment.

Have found a few keen dancers, and a few others keen to learn. Unsure of standards as yet.

We are exploring places to go dance where the music is good and there is also room. Went to the Pump room the other night where the music was fab, but no enough room to swing a cat...

Would be interested in knowing if anyone is prepared to 'demo' for a class (I need a man for that) and/or help out taxi-ing whilst we establish a group...

Please PM with your email address if you are interested in going on a list of "ceroc interested parties".

Tried emailing both Colin and Julie Penman who were the people who had the ceroc going a few years back but have had no response, so if anyone knows of other dancers who would be interested let me know.

East Coast Swing is danced here and it is quite similar to ceroc (but with a triple step)

I LOVE WCS, but not in a position to teach at the mo. had planned to be by the time I got to singagpore but circumstances got in the way

Always happy to go out dancing....

foxyladysg

Postby foxyladysg » Wed, 03 Dec 2008 3:43 pm

It appears I can't pm anyone as I haven't posted enough.
Anyone who wants to register an interest in ceroc/modern jive/WCS classes or gatherings can email me on xxfoxyladysg@live.com .

Leave off the xx - put there to prevent spambots picking up email address.

Desperate to dance with people who know what they are doing.

foxyladysg

Postby foxyladysg » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks Poetry in Motion.
I can't reply to your PM as I haven't posted enough but I really appreciate the information.

poetry in motion
Regular
Regular

Postby poetry in motion » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 9:51 am

You're welcome.

Also, Albert, the WCS instructor from US is back in town for a few weeks.

He can be contacted at wcs_salsa @ yahoo dot com

8-)

yujiing

Postby yujiing » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 1:07 pm

Albert, the WCS instructor from US is already in town.
Currently, he has started wcs class in xenbar.

Pls. take note Xenbar has changed its location to
Block 163, #04-3575, Bukit Merah Central.
(7 Minutes walk From the MRT. Take the lift from Block 162, in order to get to blk 163 )
Tel: 62250150
Nearest Mrt : Redhill MRT

A group of us has been taking class from him already.
Once every week, we will gather to go to Union Square before 9pm to dance / practice WCS
Union Square played contemporary music before 9pm.

We have set up a group in facebook to act as a platform to plan more practice sessions or group outings as well as promote wcs in Singapore.
Everyone is welcome to join this group to share their ideas as well as provide feedback on recommendations and suggestions.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=40847207461

Below are list of classes which Albert will be teaching in xenbar in Jan 2009

Monday
---------
08:15-09:15pm WCS Beginner A
09:15-10:15pm WCS Beginner B
10:15-11:00pm WCS Practice ( Student will practice wcs after class )

Tuesday
----------
08:15-9:15pm Tango Fusion Performance Class
(Fusion of Argentine Tango, WCS and Night Club 2-Step done to Josh Groban "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear")

Sunday
----------
03:15-04:15pm WCS Performance Class
(Routine done to Pussycat Dolls "Don't Cha")
04:15-05:15pm Night Club 2-Step Beginner
05:15-06:15pm WCS Beginner A
06:15-07:15pm Advanced Salsa

DG10

ceroc in singapore

Postby DG10 » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 9:29 pm

hi,

it's been a while since you posted your notes re Ceroc in Singapore but I'm looking to Ceroc here.

I danced for a couple of years in the UK. Love it and would like to get back into it here so if anyone is Cerocing here please let me know.

thanks
janine

melomane

Postby melomane » Sun, 15 Feb 2009 8:47 pm

Hi DG10,

sorry to say mate that the ceroc get togethers never really took off. I think foxylady is still looking to set something started. The closest that you'll find is the WCS class being taught by Albert at the Xenbar.

Cheers

foxyladysg

Postby foxyladysg » Sun, 22 Feb 2009 9:30 pm

Hi DG10

Where in the UK did you dance ? I've been dancing for 5+ years in the UK, now starting up over here. Have a class starting on monday evenings, contact me on my email address (in a post above) for further info.

Foxylady x