Singapore Expats Forum

could of, would of, should of

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

could of, would of, should of

Postby banana » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 4:55 pm

Much has been said about the butchery of the the English language by non-native speakers at large, and by the local populace more specifically. We've all seen the "revert to you" phenomenon in emails, "seeking for love" in personals, and numerous Frankensteins in the name of localisation.

One mistake that seems exclusive to native speakers though, is the use of 'of'. As in the subject header. What the writer is trying to say is a common contraction for 'have'. As in "could've", "would've", "should've". Even award winning authors have been known to use the less appropriate choice but one could easily attribute it to poetic license or a need to convey a character personality.

Now this is clearly a phenomenon of the written language. A common excuse is that it's shorter. By one massive keystroke.

Or so it seems. Anecdotal evidence indicates that there are native English speakers who actively make an effort to enunciate the 'of'. You can actually see their lips form the O shape, like a goldfish feeding or a staple scene from adult films. It is not a pretty sight. Not all the time.

So please. Unless you particularly enjoy that picture going through the heads of your audience, let the 'of' miscreation die the ignoble death it deserves.
some signatures are more equal than others

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Re: could of, would of, should of

Postby cavalier » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 5:03 pm

Can't say that I've seen this mistake in writing. It seems to be a verbal thing. And the alternative: coulda, shoulda, woulda.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 5:21 pm

Great post Banana - well done - couldnt'of said it better :)

Mrs. C and my pet hate - the improper use of the: apostrophe; colon; semi-colon, and hyphen.

Mr. P

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 5:28 pm

Dont really no what all the fuss is about. You tend two write more quicker on forums and so you do make mistakes most've the time, innit?

I mean at least the mistakes are genuine and not shortened Singlish lah type've stuff right?

They could of been worse if there education was from hear.

If you want a better quality of post get a spell and grama checker on this forum.

:lol: :wink:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 5:45 pm

I'll revert to CurryM's superior posting :)

Mr. P

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 6:24 pm

Fuss what fuss? No fuss lah Curry. You want fast curry go to Komalas. Very nice. Very cheap.

What I saying is how come only ang moh say dis kind of thing. Singlish got own rules one. It not suppose to be Queen's English. Cos here we got no Queen! Maybe can say is Lee's English? Hahaha

Over here we learn English but also never say "could of". How come? Also ah, we learn com...compre...compre something lah. Meaning we read can understand what the fella say. Like for example, first post already say ang moh use "could of" on purpose, we won't go and say it is 'genuine mistake'. That one only our Gahmen ManyStar will say one. You Gahmen one ah?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 6:36 pm

ang moh cant speak the queens english to a local coz the dude will never understand it mah. just imagine if the ang moh speak like kenneth williams, so britishness!

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 7:04 pm

This one another one dunno how to read :P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 7:48 pm

banana wrote:So please. Unless you particularly enjoy that picture going through the heads of your audience, let the 'of' miscreation die the ignoble death it deserves.

You of said it well. I'of had enough of hearing this rubbish too. Thank goodness we of you to speak up for the entire English-speaking race. You of my respect.

sierra2469alpha wrote:Mrs. C and my pet hate - the improper use of the... colon

I stuffed my colon with a MacDonald's hot fudge sundae today :oops: ... is that an improper use? :wink:

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Postby cavalier » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 7:54 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I stuffed my colon with a MacDonald's hot fudge sundae today :oops: ... is that an improper use?

I don't think that's what it was designed for - your colon or the sundae.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 8:22 pm

:lol:

I am biting my fist so hard right now.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 8:45 pm

WIMH- well, if that's your douche....!!!!

:P

Mr. P (Ms. C says I am a shocker!)
Last edited by sierra2469alpha on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 8:46 pm

banana wrote:Fuss what fuss? No fuss lah Curry. You want fast curry go to Komalas. Very nice. Very cheap.

What I saying is how come only ang moh say dis kind of thing. Singlish got own rules one. It not suppose to be Queen's English. Cos here we got no Queen! Maybe can say is Lee's English? Hahaha

Over here we learn English but also never say "could of". How come? Also ah, we learn com...compre...compre something lah. Meaning we read can understand what the fella say. Like for example, first post already say ang moh use "could of" on purpose, we won't go and say it is 'genuine mistake'. That one only our Gahmen ManyStar will say one. You Gahmen one ah?

Brilliant! =D>
One man's meat is another's poison.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 9:04 pm

:lol:

And me... I would of wet myself by now. I didn've realised we could of so much fun on here.

Keep it up banana, you big phallic shape of fruit you. :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 9:20 pm

Fine. Get technical on me. All of you should of just admired my guts, as I could of chosen to be anal like you, and that would of been boring to stomach. :tongue: