Singapore Expats Forum

Advice where to stay Thailand: Phuket..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Advice where to stay Thailand: Phuket..

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 9:01 am

Me again...

My best friend arrives in Oct from Oz and I want to give them a divine 3-4 nights in Thailand..at up to $150 Sing per night

We are in our 20's-30's and interested in cheap beach massages (over the hotel massage packages), lovely cocktails by the beach/pool, cheap shopping....

Great lower priced food locally (not 5 star) and a little bit of sightseeing...Not into rowdy expats or large touristy type hotel groups getting drunk all over the place...

Any sugestions for hotels and Islands and why?? I have been to Ko Samui only and stayed at the Muang Samui Spa Resort Samui which was PERFECT..but a bit too pricey this time...at $300++ a night...Plus I want to see Phuket...

Is Phuket as good as KS? Also any tips for websites or places to look for good deals??

Thank you so much in advance...Not asking for much am I ;)

:wave:
Last edited by notwavingdrowning on Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:54 am

check out the safari beach resort at Patong

It's right at the start of "the strip" which has loads of cheap shopping at night it turns into "the" bar and restaurant strip. It's right next to the beach and has one of the best sea food restaurants in Phucket

Google is your freind

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:07 pm

Not sure you'd like anywhere in Phuket to be honest.

Check out Hua Hin, perfect for beach massage and cocktails - I think that's what you're looking for and on brief regarding price. Good time of year for it too.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

It looks good to me...thank you all...

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:37 pm

Rated 5th Best Phuket Hotel by Expedia- and ONLY beach front Hotel in Patong (I booked it- so please no one say its shite...)

Impiana Phuket Cabana Resort & Spa...First Class Boutique Resort in Phuket!

Surrounded by nothing but pallid white sandy beach and fringed with tropical greenery, the island's one and only first-class boutique resort haven is situated at the heart of Phuket's most popular beach, Patong Beach.

There are no roads separating you from your single storey cabana, allowing you to be closer to the sublime beauty of what the island has to offer…No one sleeps closer to Patong Beach than the Impiana guests. Impiana Phuket Cabana Resort & Spa has 70 luxuriously appointed guestrooms with full services and amentities to make your holiday a real retreat in Phuket. This Patong Beach resort in Phuket sits directly on the Patong beach and walking distance from the shopping and entertainment area

But CurryDaddy, why don't you think I would like it? Too crazy???

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:47 pm

bigfilsing wrote:check out the safari beach resort at Patong

It's right at the start of "the strip" which has loads of cheap shopping at night it turns into "the" bar and restaurant strip. It's right next to the beach and has one of the best sea food restaurants in Phucket

Google is your freind

Thanks for the tip....

I just wonder...How easy is it to bring back "shopping" to Singapore..I have heard they do not allow any "fake" goods...they confiscate..Is this true?

Any advice?

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:34 pm

Shopping in Phuket is pretty pricey compared to other parts of Thailand and not as good either, but there are some good bargains to be had if you look. DVDs and the like are pretty much frowned upon (like really illegal to bring back) but other stuff, hmmm, it is debatable I think as to whether anything really happens on arrival back here.

I like Samui much more than Phuket but in October you are probably better off in P because of the weather in October.

On the plus side I have heard good first hand reports about the Impiana so I hope it is good for you too.

Then again, half the making of a good time away is the company you have, so if it is your best friend I am sure you will have a great time. :wink:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Re: It looks good to me...thank you all...

Postby Currymeister » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 4:22 pm

notwavingdrowning wrote:Rated 5th Best Phuket Hotel by Expedia- and ONLY beach front Hotel in Patong (I booked it- so please no one say its shite...)

Impiana Phuket Cabana Resort & Spa...First Class Boutique Resort in Phuket!

Surrounded by nothing but pallid white sandy beach and fringed with tropical greenery, the island's one and only first-class boutique resort haven is situated at the heart of Phuket's most popular beach, Patong Beach.

There are no roads separating you from your single storey cabana, allowing you to be closer to the sublime beauty of what the island has to offer…No one sleeps closer to Patong Beach than the Impiana guests. Impiana Phuket Cabana Resort & Spa has 70 luxuriously appointed guestrooms with full services and amentities to make your holiday a real retreat in Phuket. This Patong Beach resort in Phuket sits directly on the Patong beach and walking distance from the shopping and entertainment area

But CurryDaddy, why don't you think I would like it? Too crazy???

Well now you've booked it I can't really comment too much. I went at New Year, I booked very late - I think I got the last hotel room on the island. It sounds as though you've booked into a very nice and relaxing resort - have a great time, enjoy! Go crazy for the massages and cocktails coz you can't indulge as much back here.

Take an island hopping day tour to Koh Kai and surrounding islands - that really is the one place that truly has white powder sand and crystal clear turquiose waters.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Thanks

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks for that CM...I have heard it can get hectic in PKt...But you went New Years, I am hoping x 3 that late October is a quieter time...

We really are just after lots of beach massages (like they have all along Ko Samui beach) I HOPE they have that in PKT?? Any one know???

A little bit of shopping, lots of food and cocktails and just general sight seeing...so fingers crossed all is well..I am anticiapting rain though...

thanks for the tips re DVDs...

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 9:08 pm

Apart from your resort - which I guess will be expensive, you could try Sirin beach, about 10min drive north of Patong.

When you get there go right walk along til you hit the nice places around Twin Palms, the massage areas there look nice and inviting.

You can get it on other beaches like Patong and Karan, but unless they've changed recently you may not find them very appealing.

Sorry NWD I hope I'm not putting you off, I'm just trying to make sure you don't waste any time in finding the best areas.

Enjoy!

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

not

Postby notwavingdrowning » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 8:05 am

Not all all...You are helping me- and I really appreciate it :D

I can twait till you organise another "peas in the pod" gathering!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:03 am

Currymeister wrote:Not sure you'd like anywhere in Phuket to be honest.

Check out Hua Hin, perfect for beach massage and cocktails - I think that's what you're looking for and on brief regarding price. Good time of year for it too.

I like Hua Hin. May be too quiet for some folks as the king's summer home is there. Also, the water is not blue but brown due to the river. Getting there from BKK can be time consuming although the single engine Cessna is a fun ride, if not slightly pricey.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote: Also, the water is not blue but brown due to the river. Getting there from BKK can be time consuming although the single engine Cessna is a fun ride, if not slightly pricey.

The sea is Blue, where did you go to swim? On the river? :lol:

NWD, enjoy Phuket. See you soon hopefully.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:56 am

Currymeister wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Also, the water is not blue but brown due to the river. Getting there from BKK can be time consuming although the single engine Cessna is a fun ride, if not slightly pricey.

It really depends upon the tides and the currents. Hua Hin water can be very brown, especially during rainy season.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:53 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Currymeister wrote:

It really depends upon the tides and the currents. Hua Hin water can be very brown, especially during rainy season.

Well why didn't you say :wink: Surely not brown because of...erm...you know what from the river though? Is it muddy sand or something that getting disturbed during heavy rain?

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Thank you

Postby notwavingdrowning » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 7:31 am

micknlea wrote:
I like Samui much more than Phuket but in October you are probably better off in P because of the weather in October.

On the plus side I have heard good first hand reports about the Impiana so I hope it is good for you too.

Then again, half the making of a good time away is the company you have, so if it is your best friend I am sure you will have a great time. :wink:

Thanks for the tip and I feel much better about going there now..forwarned is forarmed??
:D