Singapore Expats Forum

$$Local versus Expat Dentists for cosmetic work...Any views?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

$$Local versus Expat Dentists for cosmetic work...Any views?

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 8:36 am

Hi again..I feel like such a user, only writing when I have a question to ask :oops:

I should be asking you all, have you have had a good week and how is the family :wink: Has that infection cleared up yet?

Down to busines...An expats Mum was visited recently and she had heard you could get cheap cosmetic dentistry (ie New crowns, Porcelain facings etc) in Malaysia...

She visited M and saw a dentist but was unhappy with the standard of hygene in the clinic so left it..

I am after new porcelain facings to replace discoloured old ones...Too much coffee and red wine...

In Oz they cost $800.00 per tooth and googling Singapore dentists..they seem to be charging the same..mind you the ads are all glossy and seemed to be targeted at Expats or rich locals...

I figure it must be like the Doctors here..I see an expat Doc at a fancy Clinic and pay $80.00+ for a visit, yet my friend sees a local Doc and pays $30.00 (I will be seeing her Doc from now on)

I am assuming the same would go for Dentists..Or is it the porcelain veneers that cost so much and not the treatment??

I live in the Holland Villiage area but am happy to cab it further out for a cheaper BUT of course good, local Dentist...Any suggestions...

I am not being a tight arse...(We are not on an expat package- we chose to come here) So do not have money to burn and I am so keen to get my teeth done so I can do this soon..

:D :D :D
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

idpearl

Postby idpearl » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:36 am

It would be cheaper to go to Thailand! Have a nice holiday and get your teeth done at the same time.

As for Singapore, I had some cosmetic work done at GPA Dentistry in Parkview - due to an accident. I had smashed 2 front teeth. This place is the mutts nuts! They have 3D modelling software which they use to design the replacement tooth or crown. They plug the info into a machine which carves a new tooth out of ceramic which is then coloured to match you own teeth.

It is expensive, but darn good work!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 3:19 pm

Dental work here is expensive, period. I'm not sure what a porcelain facing is, but a crown here costs about $800 as well. Go to White on Whites along Stamford Road. It's owned and run by my friend and he's very good - treats you gently and explains what he's doing every step of the way so you're not just sitting there with your mouth open wondering what's going on.

PM me if you want details like address and phone number, and so you can tell him who referred you. :wink:

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Postby notwavingdrowning » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 7:33 am

[quote="idpearl"]It would be cheaper to go to Thailand! Have a nice holiday and get your teeth done at the same time.

Thank you!

Wouldnt you know it, I am off to Thailand in Oct! What I need now is a referal to a dentist in Patong!

Anyone :wink:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 8:03 am

NWD, Certainly you'd rather have a trip to Phuket that didn't include dental work? (Although I think I'd rather have a full blown root canal anyday than go to Phuket again, jut not my deal).

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sat, 30 Aug 2008 9:19 am

road.not.taken wrote:NWD, Certainly you'd rather have a trip to Phuket that didn't include dental work? (Although I think I'd rather have a full blown root canal anyday than go to Phuket again, jut not my deal).

dammit...I told my hub I wanted to go back to Ko Samui..the hotel on the beach front, Muang Samui..was Heaven! I LOVE that place.....Book there for paradise and service to die for (the royal suite-they have a few..if you do something bad men- suprise the wife- all will be forgiven)...But he has this policy of never going anywhere twice..I say, if it aint broke, dont fix it...

Anyhow...I am stuck with Patong now- but the hotel Impiana is one of the best- boutique style and traveladvisor rated it top 5..its one of a few on the actual beach and I am going with my best friend who has never been to Thailand so knows no better...

As for the dental treatment- its cosmetic, porcelain facings/whitening, so not a big deal...and 1/4 of the price...so it almost pays for the holiday itself!

I will let you know how it goes...I really hope Patong is not as awful as so many say...I am going in late Oct...so maybe less people?? :?