Singapore Expats

Youtube loading problem on laptop and other......

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
blablabla

Youtube loading problem on laptop and other......

Post by blablabla » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 7:49 pm

Hi to everybody, this is my first time using my laptop and i am experiencing problems on my laptop. U see, when i try to watch a video on youtube it loads for about 30-40s long and then it stops. This happens to every site that had videos on it. It just cant seem to stream the video!
I have the latest flash player and i am using mozilla firefox. Can anyone help me please?
There is another problem too. Sorry for that. When i log in to my Windows Live Messenger, it always seem to log me out itself and then try to reconnect itself. I had already reinstall the Messenger but it didn't seem to work.. Any suggestions? Thank you very much!
Love metal bands... Introduce more to me?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:25 pm

is your laptop running like a dog? check the performance CPU usage in task manager. have you got antivirus/antispyware/malware? is it up to date? done a scan recently?

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:44 am

CPU usage is 7%. My connection speed is 54 Mbps. The signal strength is excellent. I can view may sites, but just ca not load the video.
I done a check and my laptop does not contain any virus. I am using AVG free edition anti-virus and Norton Anti-virus but is 2002 version.
Or is it that the problems are concern with the internet connections? My firefox add-ons? the proxy or the cache?
Or should i reformat the laptop?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 4:51 am

first off, you should not be running 2 antivirus. i suggest you remove one of your antivirus. to cleanly remove your antivirus, google for the removal tool for your antivirus rather than using the uninstall or from add/remove program. remove both and reinstall only one.

as for your slow streaming video, is it the same if you are using IE? your connection to the wireless router is at 54mbps but what is your internet connection? you might want to install some sort of bandwidth meter to monitor what is upload/downloading on your laptop. your internet connection should not be using proxy or cache but do check those settings.

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 6:23 pm

Ok, i have remove one anti-virus software. It is the same for IE, the video is not low streaming. It stream for a few seconds then it stop streaming after that. I got a desktop computer that uses Singtel internet box and my laptop is connected to it. But there is no problem when i watch youtube on the desktop computer, it streams perfectly.
U said bandwidth meter? Where can i download it?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 6:58 pm

if you can reformat your laptop and reinstall the OS, maybe it is easier to do that instead. check http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/ to check your upload/download.

btw, is it the same if you put the laptop on the wire rather than wireless?

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 2:53 am

I have downloaded the thing and i use it to monitor the situation when i try to watch a video. I went to youtube and watched a video. It started to load really fast 500- 800 KiB/s, but then it decreases to 0 Kib/s. It stops streaming.
However, before downloading the thing i try a youtube video and it streams perfectly but this happened after i paused the video for a long while and refreshed 3 times. I then closed firefox and reopened again. I try the same method to watch the same video again but it return to the same problem. It stuck after a few seconds of streaming.
I haven try using the wire to connect. i will update on that

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 4:47 am

What make of laptop are you using? How much RAM does it have and what processor speed are you using? From your post it would appear you are using it wirelessly? I have had the same or similar problems. I suggest you use the AVG antivirus as Norton is known for slowing down systems and blocking legitimate programs. You can just sign out of Windows Messenger if you don't want to use it. Note I download youtube videos no problem with Real Player. :wink:

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 6:11 am

My laptop is NEC. RAM space is only 512MB. My processor speed is 'Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz'
Use AVG? But that is a free edition AVG. I fear that it would not give me sufficient power to get rid of virus. However, my norton anti virus is of 2002 edition, so are you sure that by removing the norton anti virus can enable me to watch stream videos smoothly?
My messenger logs out itself. i didn't even touch it!
thx

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 1:40 pm

blablabla wrote: Use AVG? But that is a free edition AVG. I fear that it would not give me sufficient power to get rid of virus. However, my norton anti virus is of 2002 edition, so are you sure that by removing the norton anti virus can enable me to watch stream videos smoothly?
My messenger logs out itself. i didn't even touch it!
thx
Firstly you needn't worry about the 'power' of AVG, I have used it for years and all in all it has been better than most others. Norton uses to much RAM and can cause system crashes and without doubt slows the machine down. Another possible reason for not being able to download videos is the firewall if yours is part of Norton, had similar issue myself when trying to install a program. Are you using the laptop wirelessly?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 2:59 pm

Sounds like an internet problem to me... either a firewall setting in software or a hardware setting in the router.

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 4:50 pm

Yup. The laptop is connected wireless. the desktop computer has no problem whatsoever.

Strong eagle mentioned that is my internet connection.But i had friends that came to my house with their laptop and had connected to the same device that i currently uses for wireless connection. They had no problem at all. U said is firewall setting then what changes should i do to it?[/code]

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 7:00 pm

blablabla wrote:Yup. The laptop is connected wireless. the desktop computer has no problem whatsoever.

Strong eagle mentioned that is my internet connection.But i had friends that came to my house with their laptop and had connected to the same device that i currently uses for wireless connection. They had no problem at all. U said is firewall setting then what changes should i do to it?[/code]
Dunno for sure. You are running 2 virus programs? I'd dump one. I've got the paid version of AVG... don't know how that relates to the version you have but my paid version has many different settings for content control... although I didn't have to do anything for 'net access with the default settings... a different story for getting everything on my local network to work properly.

I assume you have Windows firewall turned off? Have you turned off ALL security long enough to see if that is the problem? That is the starting place, because:

It could also be something else. Have you been on the flash or microsoft forums?

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 9:03 pm

OK. I have removed the norton anti-virus and now i am left with AVG. No, i have not been in other forums other than this. I already allow exceptions for firewall. My internet explorer also experience this problems.

BUT just now i was able to stream the video perfectly, only 2 video are able to stream. After that i restart my laptop and tried again, it then return to the same way as it was before, having the same problem of not streaming the video after a few seconds. Therefore, i don't think is the flash or the security of the laptop

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Mon, 25 Aug 2008 9:31 pm

I found out that actually my laptop can stream video, it can work actually, is just that there is something stopping it that prevented it from streaming the whole video. The problem is that i didn't know what that is. Anyone knows how to solve this?