Singapore Expats

Feeding solids.Custard

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Post by familyof5 » Fri, 22 Aug 2008 8:23 pm

oh dear god i thought i'd left all that b/f crap back on the parenting forums...how on earth did we get from custard to smoking??

I was going to write a whole lot more but i've just realised jac already said it....

yes, custard is a dessert. a very nice one. my kids love it. I add sugar to mine, otherwise its just not custard. I guess if you make it yourself you can control the sugar content, though from memory, the Heinz one doesnt contain much anyway. I think mine tastes better because I add more sugar..... :D I also add chopped banana which they like.

In terms of what its used for...well, its a dessert, so i guess its not strictly necessary. But l have no problem feeding it to my kids. They have it after their very healthy and nutritious main meal and it hasnt stopped them eating a wide variety of foods. Just because something contains sugar it doesnt mean its bad for a baby. I must say heinz baked beans are a godsend for me. If i'm disorganised my lot tend to get that for their lunch. You can get a no added salt variety....though the kids probably like it because they add sugar.

I had the annabel karmel book too. I didnt use it a huge amount. Some of her desserts were quite good. though they did contain *gasp* sugar...

You can get the Jalna yoghurt here Jac. We love the vanilla one in this house!

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 8:55 am

familyof5 wrote:oh dear god i thought i'd left all that b/f crap back on the parenting forums...how on earth did we get from custard to smoking??

I was going to write a whole lot more but i've just realised jac already said it....

yes, custard is a dessert. a very nice one. my kids love it. I add sugar to mine, otherwise its just not custard. I guess if you make it yourself you can control the sugar content, though from memory, the Heinz one doesnt contain much anyway. I think mine tastes better because I add more sugar..... :D I also add chopped banana which they like.

In terms of what its used for...well, its a dessert, so i guess its not strictly necessary. But l have no problem feeding it to my kids. They have it after their very healthy and nutritious main meal and it hasnt stopped them eating a wide variety of foods. Just because something contains sugar it doesnt mean its bad for a baby. I must say heinz baked beans are a godsend for me. If i'm disorganised my lot tend to get that for their lunch. You can get a no added salt variety....though the kids probably like it because they add sugar.

I had the annabel karmel book too. I didnt use it a huge amount. Some of her desserts were quite good. though they did contain *gasp* sugar...

You can get the Jalna yoghurt here Jac. We love the vanilla one in this house!
Chill out Family of 5. You've just given a perfect example of how you get from Custard to Smoking :-)
You've evolved the post through to bake beans, a book, a yoghurt and your own personal views on sugar, b/f etc.
And thats great! Thats what forums are all about, and being a parent there is no 1 way to do something or 1 method to follow. The OP asks a question and it is pretty well accepted that they must then sieve through and filter the answers to what best speaks to them.
Keep up the posts! :wave: