Singapore Expats

Accenture Management Consulting (Analyst)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
no9

Post by no9 » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 9:31 pm

Will deeply appreciate any relevant advice (pros and cons) with regards to embarking on a management consulting career with Accenture. Moreover, I will appreciate information on:

1)Recruitment /Interview process

2) Working culture

3) Perks (salary, bonuses, etc)

4) Advancement opportunities

Thanks!

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Post by RULDS » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:22 pm

Have not worked for Accenture but many of my friends have. They travel and put in a lot of hours. I think its a great company to begin your career and have it on your resume.

I think you need to go to vault.com. They have more in depth profiles on companies in regards to all your questions. There is some info you have to pay for but hey, its a $40 investment to see what your life will be about for the next couple of years so look at it that way.

no9

Post by no9 » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 6:58 pm

Ruds,

thanks for the valuable advice. I am already doing my fair bit of research on Vault, its just there's not much information to gather with regards to local context.

Any other references or advices will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

kimtaymour
Regular
Regular

Post by kimtaymour » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:49 am

Regarding the number 1) Recruitment/interviews.

Well I went to see the mon the career fair last saturday 16th August 2008 in Suntec City, they told me am very good and they will arrange an interview right away...

As they were doing it the whole day according to person there(Won't say names) he told me:
"The manager who takes interviews is in another interviews leave your number will call you today itself or come back in an hour" An hour and a half passed heard nothing from them I went he said:
"The manager went for lunch come back later"

2 hours later i came back surprisingly he was in lunch (what a lunch!) another hour later and I came back the guy simply said
"The manager is tired and went back home to sleep"

What is this for God sake its only 4pm and went to sleep.. maybe that guy should workout his lies!!!

Very Unprofessional!!!
Best Record with the Most EP Rejected

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Post by RULDS » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:12 pm

kimtaymour wrote:Regarding the number 1) Recruitment/interviews.

Well I went to see the mon the career fair last saturday 16th August 2008 in Suntec City, they told me am very good and they will arrange an interview right away...

As they were doing it the whole day according to person there(Won't say names) he told me:
"The manager who takes interviews is in another interviews leave your number will call you today itself or come back in an hour" An hour and a half passed heard nothing from them I went he said:

2 hours later i came back surprisingly he was in lunch (what a lunch!) another hour later and I came back the guy simply said

What is this for God sake its only 4pm and went to sleep.. maybe that guy should workout his lies!!!

Very Unprofessional!!!
Though unprofessional, that is only 1 employee out of over 100,000 that works for Accenture. I grew up where the headquarters of Accenture (Aurther Anderson) resides and everyone I know that worked for them was top notch.

2 thing could have happend:

No one actually impressed the recruiter and instead of telling you that you are not qualified, he just kept face and ran you around the bush.

Perhaps he just flew in from Chicago and at 4PM it was actually 3AM for him....so maybe he was tired.

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Post by krptykcookies » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:20 pm

kimtaymour wrote:Regarding the number 1) Recruitment/interviews.

Very Unprofessional!!!
Kim,

I hate to say this but what this Accenture guy just did to you was just telling you in a 'nice and indiscreet' manner that you will not be interviewed. I have had to face this in the past too but not in SG and I have to say HRs in Asia are like this.

As for the OP on this topic the interview with Accenture starts with calling you up for a quick chat on your fit and aspirations for the job followed by (if shortlisted) a second interview with the hiring manager and finally followed by (if shortlisted) the HR (normally to finalise things). Over in MY (not too sure if this is practise in SG) just prior to the first call Accenture will do a background check on all the employers listed in your CV (this is to verify that the person had actually worked there and for that period of time (as stipulated in the CV) under that (stipulated) job title. I say this coz someone I know told me that his ex-employer called to tell him that Accenture called them for a reference check and this employer wasn't even nominated as his referee!

As for salaries, for developers (over in KL) SAP'ers (with 5 years experience) can look forward to at least MYR 15k/ monthly onwards however please bear in mind (and if you have been surfing the net lately on Accenture (or'Acc-id-enture') there is quite a high staff turnover for this co due to especially graveyard shift hours.
Cool as cool can be

kimtaymour
Regular
Regular

Post by kimtaymour » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:59 pm

well the chicago thingy its just senselss.. its not because of that flight that he has to play unprofessianl he is showing a wrong face for his organization... and nayways IS will be more than happy to hear them saying we won't take you you don't match or you can't fit in i'll appreciate that more.. rather than playing the kids isn't ???

You should have seen how impressed they were with my cv and howmuch they wanted to discuss with me but then disapear

If he choose to come and attend he gotta forgot the long haul flight and whatsoever outside problem job is job! if you know what I mean

cheers ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Aug 2008 3:06 pm

It sure sounds like the typical Asian Brushoff! to me. Most here shy away from telling people unpleasant news, instead, like to make the applicant feels good about themselves. Unfortunately, they never bother to tell the applicant. This is very typical and one of the hard things I had to swallow here as I tend to say it straight up. But then again, I'm not Asian, and I do have to admit it doesn't go over very big here. But for outsiders or people raised up or schooled in the West, it does aggravate. More times than not, HR people will just let you whither on the vine until you go away.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

no9

Post by no9 » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 1:03 pm

I am aware of the extremely long hours and need for frequent travel working @ accenture.

Will anyone be able to advice on the remuneration and benefits to expect at Analyst level?

kimtaymour
Regular
Regular

Post by kimtaymour » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:35 pm

[quote="no9"]I am aware of the extremely long hours and need for frequent travel working @ accenture.quote]

What does this suppose to mean ???

krptykcookies
Regular
Regular

Post by krptykcookies » Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:04 pm

It means that you will be working past 10 pm to at least 2 am and that you will be required to be stationed at locations that is normally outside of, in this case, SG however it will be within the AsiaPac region :)
Cool as cool can be

no9

Post by no9 » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 9:30 am

that was exactly what i meant. :cry:

polarbear99

Post by polarbear99 » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:32 pm

It depends....is it a permanent position or contract?

Permanent position : You will love it.

Contract position : Be ready to be treated like a slave

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 3:51 pm

polarbear99 wrote:It depends....is it a permanent position or contract?

Permanent position : You will love it.

Contract position : Be ready to be treated like a slave
I am unaware that any consulting firm hires contractors... after all they are the (so called) experts.

Benety

Re: Accenture Management Consulting (Analyst)

Post by Benety » Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:28 pm

1) If they recruit much like Mck, BCG and Bain then you will have to go through several interviews of about 45 mins each. You will typically meet two consultants with the interview broadly structured into a fit and business case interview where they test you on various dimensions including structure, business sense, analytics, communication skills.

The process usually has 3 rounds (i.e. 6 interviews) with the last rounds typically with the partners.

2) As shared by the other folks, be prepared to work long hours and to travel extensively.

3) This varies significantly with the different consultancies as well as the level you are interviewing for. For undergrad this can range from 2.8k - 6k. For post MBA the top 3 typically pays around 12 ... though I've heard that Oliver Wyman pays better than that.

4) Typically the career track is very transparent and clear. In exchange, its usually an up or out culture.

I hope this helps.
no9 wrote:Will deeply appreciate any relevant advice (pros and cons) with regards to embarking on a management consulting career with Accenture. Moreover, I will appreciate information on:

1)Recruitment /Interview process

2) Working culture

3) Perks (salary, bonuses, etc)

4) Advancement opportunities

Thanks!