Singapore Expats Forum

Way to go Mr. Phelps! \:D/

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Way to go Mr. Phelps! \:D/

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:04 pm

Way to go Mr. Phelps \:D/

Olympic Gold #8, World Record time. 8 golds, 8 records. And heaps of credit to his team mates for ensuring in three events that he got the golds there as well. That's team work and team spirit.

Without a doubt the greatest Olympian ever. It will be a long time before anybody equals it. Not only 8 golds in one Olympic, but if he competes in the next olympics, and picks up 6 more medals it will be twice as many as any athlete has ever gotten (10 which he surpassed several days ago).

Congratulations also go to the Australian girls for their determined win over the US girls in the medley. They fought a hard race coming from 4th at the first turn to win. Fantastic group of girls.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:30 pm

Phelps is truly incredible and a golden boy many times over. Well done!
One man's meat is another's poison.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Great but....

Postby Asdracles » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 1:19 pm

I agree that this guy is really fantastic. No doubt the best swimmer in history, but.....

Not so easy to say that is the best sportsman in the Olympics just because the number of medals!

How many medals can get a tennis player in a Olympic games if hes really great? Only 2, single and double. A basketball player? 1. A road cyclist? 2 And so on. Ok, let's say Kobe Bryan that if he wants to beat Phelps they need s to run the 400m, do some weightlifting, win some kayak races and be really good at shooting or fencing!

I don't say that this guy is not one of the best in history, of course!!

Just that sport and mathematics are not good friends.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 2:23 pm

some signatures are more equal than others

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 3:52 pm

Actually, he probably does deserve the accolades if you want to take the analogy you are using to the logical conclusion based on your premis. He had to stay in peak performance to repeat the event for 8 times, not even considering the preliminary heats. If a person only gears themselves up for a single event then they should be hitting gold and record after record. This guy is hitting gold and records virtually every time he gets into the water. So he must not only peak but peak in different disciplines at the same time.

I would have to say then, what I didn't say but you did, is that that probably does qualifying him as probably one of the greatest sportsmen of all times as well.

Anyway, here hoping for an outside chance that the Singapore paddlers will have an upset tonight and walk away with a gold. It's not often that a Government's leader will change a schedule so as not to take away from their sportswomen while they are on the international stage.

And at 6'4" I reckon he probably plays basketball better than Kobe Bryant swims! :wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 4:38 pm

Simply a brilliant swimmer . . . no doubt, possibly/probably the greatest swimmer ever.

As for the greatest athlete ever? Not sure, I'd go for a pentathlete, heptathlete or decathlete instead - and bizarrely banana has a point.

Who can forget Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Heike Drechsler, Denise Lewis, Jim Thorpe, Bruce Jenner, Daley Thompson, Jürgen Hingsen . . . .

'nuff said Image

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Decathlon

Postby Asdracles » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 4:46 pm

Yes, kinda agree.... These guys are really good in lot of different disciplines, so probably the most complete athlete.

If we look at the records, ok, maybe I can consider Phelps the best one in this olympics, as he really crushed the records in 7/8 disciplines.

But the fact that he won everything (not true, he didn't win some series), doesn't put him ahead of Gonzalez or Nadal (whoever with tennis today) as they have won every single match during this weeks.

I didn't watch too much olympics this years, so can't speak too much. Just my point is that Im sick of counting how good a sportsman is because the number of medals, and you can't get 8 medals in any other sport.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 7:31 pm

Sure you can. Track and field you can. "If you are good enough".

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 7:33 pm

can singapore offer him a citizenship? that should get singapore up in the medal table. :P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:12 pm

Phelps is amazing. And cute. Is he single? I could jump into (Vaucluse - correct use of preposition?) his lap of luxury and live off his endorsements...

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:18 pm

what would he be endorsing? that midriff?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:24 pm

banana wrote:what would he be endorsing? that midriff?

Are you flirting with me?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:37 pm

would you like me to?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:38 pm

Waiting with bated breath to watch this outcome! Say yes WIMH!
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:44 pm

I would love to say yes... but you see, I'm supposed to be on this crusade...