Singapore Expats Forum

Sg is assured of a silver medal in table tennis @Beijing2008

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
saturdaynitespecial
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed, 16 May 2007

Sg is assured of a silver medal in table tennis @Beijing2008

Postby saturdaynitespecial » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 1:58 am

The last time Singers won an Olympic medal was in 1960 when Tan Howe Liang clinched a silver medal @ Weightlifting.

This time round, after 48 years, Team Singapore Table tennis women team had qualified for the finals against host country, China.

Match will be telecast live @ 7.30pm SUNDAY Channel U and 5 on 17/08/08.



........................................

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 7:37 pm

Malaysia is also going nuts over their silver or gold medal . . . same situation as Singapore.

Good for them, excellent performances.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:42 pm

Congrats to both!
One man's meat is another's poison.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:46 pm

Bagus! =D>

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri, 07 Dec 2007

Postby mondaymorningquarterback » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:34 pm

As a singaporean I'm embrassed. The 3 players and their coach are china born and trained. We just bought a silver medal. Great job singapore!!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:54 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote:As a singaporean I'm embrassed. The 3 players and their coach are china born and trained. We just bought a silver medal. Great job singapore!!!


I guess that's what happens when a whole population is afraid to follow their dreams because their parents didn't think is was a good idea. You end up with a whinging populations that are afraid to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of those responsible.......

Themselves.

There is a lot of potential sports talent here but the fact that money & greed override all else here tends to disseminate any pursuits of "glory" seeking instead material comforts. If you didn't step out of your comfort zone to try then don't dis those who came here to do your work for you and flying your flag giving glory to a country other than their own.

Chew on that for a while......

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 1:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
mondaymorningquarterback wrote:As a singaporean I'm embrassed. The 3 players and their coach are china born and trained. We just bought a silver medal. Great job singapore!!!


I guess that's what happens when a whole population is afraid to follow their dreams because their parents didn't think is was a good idea. You end up with a whinging populations that are afraid to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of those responsible.......

Themselves.

There is a lot of potential sports talent here but the fact that money & greed override all else here tends to disseminate any pursuits of "glory" seeking instead material comforts. If you didn't step out of your comfort zone to try then don't dis those who came here to do your work for you and flying your flag giving glory to a country other than their own.

Chew on that for a while......


dayum SMS, you do like to go on don't you? Despite being here 26 years, despite being married to a local lady, despite having kids here, despite the fact that you know these trolls don't think before they type. If I didn't know better, I might think these trolls are an alter ego so you can lecture on how useless the natives are without looking like a chump yourself. But you're bigger than that aren't you?

I'm chasing my dream. I know many who are too. Don't tar all of us with the same brush.
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 2:14 pm

I actually give those Singaporeans with common sense the credit to know that what I write isn't about them per se. Was I wrong? Or do I have to spell it out for them as well? Your response would indicate so, but I also know better.

"The natives?" Them's your words not mine. I took my own wife to task yesterday about the same thing after she made the same sort of comment about them not being "Singaporeans".

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 2:19 pm

Oh, sorry, I don't use Singnet. I use Pacnet both at home and in my office.

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 2:54 pm

Yes, I know you mean well in your special way. Just...don't you think when you say things like that with phrases like "whole population", especially on an expat board (as so many like to remind us locals), it doesn't actually help smooth integration on both ends? If I were an expat fresh off the boat (or plane) reading such remarks from an evidently long time, respected moderator, I'd probably have a rather skewed impression of how to interact with Singaporeans.

As for the Singnet/Pacnet comment...no idea what you're trying to say, sorry.
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 4:57 pm

banana wrote:As for the Singnet/Pacnet comment...no idea what you're trying to say, sorry.


banana wrote:If I didn't know better, I might think these trolls are an alter ego so you can lecture on how useless the natives are without looking like a chump yourself.


:wink:

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 7:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
banana wrote:As for the Singnet/Pacnet comment...no idea what you're trying to say, sorry.


banana wrote:If I didn't know better, I might think these trolls are an alter ego so you can lecture on how useless the natives are without looking like a chump yourself.


:wink:


ok...my head was hurting because I was trying to see the significance there cos y'know, old people usually make their most meaningful statements subtly, like with a :wink:

then I realise there was none and my head hurt even more trying to say it politely. curse my Asian upbringing. I mean this is a guy who's so old his parents were fishes.

so I thought frig it, just come straight trout and say WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?!
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 7:20 pm

Free translation service from yours truly:

SMS is saying: The poster / 'troll' you said was his alter ego is using Singnet (he knows this as a moderator who has power to look into all our private lives). He can't be that troll because he uses Pacnet.

banana is saying: Speak English lah!


Gosh, what I do for the people I love. Don't shoot me if my translation is wrong. Whadya expect for something that's free?

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 7:39 pm

errr...that's like a kid saying he couldn't have taken the cookie because he was watching the jar.

wait...you love me? :shock:
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 8:09 pm

Of course. Agape, not eros. Keep your knickers on.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests