Singapore Expats

Georgia-Russia: white people kill each other too

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
banana
Reporter
Reporter

Georgia-Russia: white people kill each other too

Post by banana » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 8:12 pm

So what do the fine minds of this forum make of it? I'm surprised no one made a topic about the conflict yet.

I reckon the Russians are doing a top notch job of playing big brother. They took back what's theirs, gave a big ol "don't mess with us" smack and that's that. Good ol US of A probably has a part to play as well, albeit covertly. Are we seeing the start of a new Cold War? It's not really cold now though, more like lukewarm.
some signatures are more equal than others

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 8:35 pm

Nothing new whiteys have been killing whiteys for centuries/millennia. Religious, territorial, philosophical, political . . . you name it, we killed for it.

'nuff said Image

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 8:56 pm

well derrrrr Mr V. The crusades, various civil wars, WWI and II, so on and so forth. The subtitle was more of a poke at the sensationalism so favoured by mediawhores. OMG, they're killing brown people! OMG, they're killing yellow people! blah blah blah.

I'm more interested in what people think of the conflict. Who do they think is 'right' and why, conspiracy theories, political commentary, etc. I mean sure, we could always talk about scintillating topics like pizza, security guards and pseudo-beauty pageants...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:59 pm

banana wrote:I mean sure, we could always talk about scintillating topics like pizza, security guards and pseudo-beauty pageants...
Aw, you're just jealous that your midriff doesn't look like mine...

Not following the war much. Territorial dispute right? Nothing much to say about it except what I've said before - if women were running those countries, they'd all be sitting down for a nice cuppa. Plus, you're obviously being provocative and asking for a fight with your thread title. See what I mean about men...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:14 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:. See what I mean about men...
Darn sexist. :P

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 1:02 am

:lol: Men fight so women don't have to :P

It's a little more complicated than just a territorial dispute. Long and short of it is Georgia tried to annexe South Ossetia which is trying to gain independence. The citizens of South Ossetia had voted by referendum that they would rather not be part of Georgia. Ol Georgie agreed to a ceasefire only to backpedal hours after, by bombing them back to the stone age.

Russia then stepped in and gave the Georgians a thrashing. Georgia was evidently counting on US/NATO support which did not really materialise. Rumours abound of US mercenaries found among the dead. Now the US wants to set up missle shields in Poland. Clearly the Ruskis aren't too pleased. So....uh...have I lost anyone yet?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:35 am

the theory according to Jon Stewart ( the daily show) is that other countries have wars to teach Americans geography ....cracked me up!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:40 pm

And that's usually the only way American learn. I know. It took me a war to learn where all the countries in SE Asia were located.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 2:13 pm

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 4:41 pm

banana wrote:well derrrrr Mr V. The crusades, various civil wars, WWI and II, so on and so forth. The subtitle was more of a poke at the sensationalism so favoured by mediawhores. OMG, they're killing brown people! OMG, they're killing yellow people! blah blah blah.

I'm more interested in what people think of the conflict. Who do they think is 'right' and why, conspiracy theories, political commentary, etc. I mean sure, we could always talk about scintillating topics like pizza, security guards and pseudo-beauty pageants...
You're just jealous that I didn't include a slippery fruit in the Miss/Ms/Mr thread . . .

Thoughts? Georgia. Ok, they were the aggressors initially and the Russians are tired of being sidelined by US military expansion . . . Georgia thought the west would support it . . . not so.

They did a bad thing, got thumped and the population has to suffer, as usual.

'nuff said Image

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 5:02 pm

If Georgie believed the US or NATO would come to their aid, then they really are delusional. It makes you wonder what their president was thinking.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 6:37 pm

Not totally implausible. BP has a pipeline through the Caucasus, Georgia has been promised entry into NATO and a US presence in Georgia would pretty much have the Ruskis surrounded. I wouldn't put it past the West to underestimate ze Russians, or at least risk it for greed's sake.

And nah Mr V, it's all good. Fruits are traditionally more popular in still-life than pageantry.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 7:33 pm

SPG like in the photo ahead of a week-old mango any day . . .

The west will not go as far as confrontation with Russia for Georgia, Ukraine, Poland, Slovakia, Czech rep. nor even the Baltic states.
What I'm saying is that Rssian is pretty much self-sufficient in most things and they could basically do what they wish, short of marching into Italy/Germany/Sweden etc . . . The political divide may be gone, but the sociological is not.

'nuff said Image

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 9:39 pm

Like in the photo? I'd hit it. :lol:

Agree that Russia is pretty much self sufficient. In fact, the East European nations need Russia more than it needs them. Gazprom is a huge energy supplier. But that could be the motivation for US intervention.

Some of the White House staff were already in office during the Cold War. It's not improbable that they still harbour some distrust for their Kremlin counterparts. The US-Poland missile shield is already in accord, barring a strong objection from Moscow. No doubt that will come.

That said, the Ruskis are playing it pretty cool. With Poland, they are just growling and getting louder. With Georgia, they stopped short after dropping a few bombs on Tbilisi - a smack on the wrist really.

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 9:45 pm

I don't get your point. Why would the US care about Grazpom?

The US doesn't have enough troops in Iraq and Afghanistan how could they get involved with Russia even if they wanted to? There was really zero chance the US would come help Georgia, and they are pretty naive/crazy/stupid not to have know that.