Singapore Expats Forum

Some thought

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
doncare2002

Some thought

Postby doncare2002 » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 1:13 am

Hi everyone. Welcome to this site. This is an expat site. I am just wondering..... since the expat is coming to a foreign land.... why instead of knowing the local to know more about the culture of this little island.... they prefer to be in their group? and for local girls, why they just want to know expat guy??

Aren't we all here to make friend regardless of where we are from? talking abt globalisation and culture sensitive. yet, we are not open afterall.

Any comment?

Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 1:46 am

I am from the UK. I am hoping to meet people from all over the world whilst I'm here, expats and locals alike. As I have been doing so far. I think I've only met one other British person in my 3 weeks here, other than a couple visiting my dept at NUS at the moment. I don't see where you get the ideas in your post from.

masauds
Chatter
Chatter

HI

Postby masauds » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 9:41 pm

Hi friend,

I agrree with you, we are still not that open here to meet all expats arond wether they come from x or y or z country

I felt that too

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Re: Some thought

Postby Gypsy Queen » Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:48 pm

doncare2002 wrote:Hi everyone. Welcome to this site. This is an expat site. I am just wondering..... since the expat is coming to a foreign land.... why instead of knowing the local to know more about the culture of this little island.... they prefer to be in their group? and for local girls, why they just want to know expat guy??

Aren't we all here to make friend regardless of where we are from? talking abt globalisation and culture sensitive. yet, we are not open afterall.

Any comment?

In reply to your comment as one of the 'expats that has come to a foreign land' I interact and work with the local population on a daily basis and am more than open to being around them. As far as wanting to meet similar expats, for those people that are finding it hard to settle in and are missing their home countries then there is a big comfort in meeting people from back home. That and cultures are very different (this is not being rascist or disrespectful but just obvious)
Oh and as for some of the local girls with expat guys (I stress some as dont want to generalise!) .. isnt it all about the 5 C's?!! :D