Singapore Expats Forum

where are the 'older' expats ?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Leone and John
Regular
Regular

where are the 'older' expats ?

Postby Leone and John » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 9:10 am

hmmm......thought the title might grab the attention!

I read recently that the new arrivals (expats) are now older than what was the norm of the 20 and 30 year olds a few years ago.

But where are they? There must be others out there that would like to meet with 'an older group' We are not so old that we can't enjoy going to the pubs, bars, concerts or whatever!

Would like to know if there are others out there that would like to meet once in awhile for coffee or a chat ...... lets see if we can do just that or what we can at least come up with.
Leone + John Fabre
[ Singapore ]

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:48 am

Set something up and I will be there!!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:34 pm

The age at which I classify a person as "older" seem to keep moving with my age, :lol:

My wife was horrified when the club asked if she would like to play in the veteran match! She had vision of zimmer frame adapted tennis raquets.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Postby notwavingdrowning » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 1:01 pm

Hi there L& J

If you join ANZA- Aus and Kiwi group- you will find MANY in the 40-60 range...They have a great coffee morning every fortnight as well as regular evening drinks etc...its 60$ to join for 6 months and worth it for the monthly magazine alone...You can join online and can join even if you are not Oz or Kiwi..many Brits join as they prefer ANZA to the American club or even their own...

Good Luck!
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hei guess what » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 1:08 pm

Errr . . . . urmmph . . . :-k

it all depends . . . . .

on what "older" refers to . . .

> 25 ?

> 35?

> 45?

Now where were we again ? ! ! !

:twisted:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 3:37 pm

Excuuuuuuusssseeeeee ME!

> 65!

Now where were we again ? ! ! !

:mrgreen:

Leone and John
Regular
Regular

Postby Leone and John » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 4:30 pm

ha ha ... thanks everyone for the prompt replies.....

and age, whats that? Are we not told it is a state of mind??

By 'older' I was suggesting (only suggesting mind) that perhaps from - dare I say - 50 and up...

and "notwavingdrowning", I do appreciate your thought (and idea) of ANZA or similar group. .... maybe it has changed since I last attended a coffee morning.

When I first arrived (nearly 2 years ago) and probably when I was feeling particularly vulnerable, I was going to these 'coffee mornings'. But when asked "whose mother are you?" and when I reply that I am here on my own, the enquirer then turns away ...... like, sorry, not interested!!

Not a good feeling. So continued to attend, but unfortunately - gave up. Am not saying this is right or wrong...... it is how I felt at the time.

We both enjoy living here in Singapore. It is clean, safe and there are many great opportunities for everyone.

But after talking to others, (similar age group!) we feel that we would all like to expand our circle of friends. This is why my original post asked "where are the older expats?"

If anyone is interested, email me privately (so as not to clog the system!!) maybe we can start with a coffee morning or similar.

Will be interesting to see where you live too .... I am out on the West Coast area!!

Have a lovely weekend.
Leone + John Fabre

[ Singapore ]