Singapore Expats Forum

Censorship is alive and kicking in Singapore....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lostintranslation

Censorship is alive and kicking in Singapore....

Postby lostintranslation » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:39 pm

Did anyone else hear this...

UK Artist, Jamie Paul I think his name is, was literally hauled over the coals last week because of one of his paintings....he was nearly deported...and it's been totally swept under the carpet, nothing in the media or anything....no wonder we don't get the big artists or musicians here very often....they must be terrified...

The painting in question just had a small image of the Singaporean flag on the label of an Andy Warhol style Campbells soup can....I guess making perfect sense now, the 2 dimensional, flat, emptiness of the controlling (censoring) Singaporean authorities....as if this isn't the view of most people in Singapore...everyone knows that the state are in control...

Think we need to relax a bit and lighten up as a nation...!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 2:03 pm

Lost in translation,

While I know the old saying any publicity is better than no publicity, call me an old fashioned cynic, but you would not so happen to be the very same artist you describe, along with the alter ego Artyjames?

I only ask as your witting styles are exactly the same, lots of ...... and when using exclamation and question marks you both seem to have a jammed keyboard on those two symbols !!!!!!!!!!!! ??????

:roll:

lostintranslation

Postby lostintranslation » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 2:28 pm

Sorry, not sure who you mean. I do know the artist in question that I have just written about, but apart from that I can't help with the art james person.

And if there was publicity then I would agree with you, however, nothing was said about this. Nothing I could find anyway.

!!!!!????? hehe

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 5:13 pm

the media cant cover every single incidents. there are millions and millions of people in singapore!

i mean, the artist is not even famous. even you cant remember his name. so what chance has he got to make it to the media?

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Postby bruinbear » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 8:23 pm

if I recall last week was Singapore's national Day. is this chap trying to embarrass the Singapore government?

Biogentic

Postby Biogentic » Fri, 15 Aug 2008 3:12 pm

durain wrote:the media cant cover every single incidents. there are millions and millions of people in singapore!

i mean, the artist is not even famous. even you cant remember his name. so what chance has he got to make it to the media?

lol our 154th ranking media! i rather surf overseas news site.