Singapore Expats Forum

Please advise, USD in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

wassup

Please advise, USD in Singapore

Postby wassup » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 5:19 pm

can someone please advice me on this.....i am relocating to singapore this weekend and wanted to know if USD ca be used easily in singapore or do the shopkeepers only accept SGD....

the reason i am asking this is coz i can easily get USD from a friend but for SGD i will need to go to a bank and get ripped off....

if the shopkeepers readily accept USD then i shall bring USD instead of SGD

also what exchange rate do the shopkeepers give for USD

thanks a lot...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 6:10 pm

Aside from hotels, most shops no longer accept the US dollar. There are plenty of money changers here as well as in the airport.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 6:10 pm

does the USA accept singapore dollars? I think not, so when in Singapore, do as the Singaporeans do - use Singapore Dollars. They will be available from ATM machines, money changers (of which there are many, with posted exchange rates) or at the Bank - if you are here for just a short time, use ATM's, that's the most cost effective. Some major outlets will accept USD, but you will get a terrible exchange rate and it is by no means common - my recommendation, get local currency.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: please advise.......USD in singapore....

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 8:14 pm

wassup wrote:the reason i am asking this is coz i can easily get USD from a friend but for SGD i will need to go to a bank and get ripped off....

It's the shops that will rip you off even if they accept USD. The banks and money changers here offer pretty standard rates. Compare the rates you'll get buying SGD back home with the banks here:

http://www.dbs.com.sg/ratesonline/fxbra.html

http://www.ocbc.com/personal-banking/to ... sting.shtm

http://www.uobgroup.com/redirect.jsp?di ... Action=MER

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby mondaymorningquarterback » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 9:23 am

No we do not use USD. Maybe except in established hotels but the exchange rate is unfavourable. There are plenty of money changers in town that you can use.

wassup

Postby wassup » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 7:28 pm

thanks for all advice guys......BTW i am here and it really is a beautiful place.........