Singapore Expats

any suggestions for a good maid agency?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

any suggestions for a good maid agency?

Post by scoobydoo » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 2:42 pm

i am looking for a full time maid who speaks good english and cooks well. any one had a good experience with a particular agency?
thanks

YumMum

Post by YumMum » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Scoobydoo, I posted a similiar note a few weeks back and got no reply. Surprising, given the number of expats who employ help at home. Anyway, after much searching we decided to use a company called SG Manpower on Orchard Rd. Registered with Min of Manpower, and tight on following all the rules and regs. Very efficient and speedy. Good website. They set up interviews for us on Sun last. Met 4 ladies. Hired 1 next day after ref checks etc. She starts next wk. The MOM website lists official employment agencies and those that are not, plus those on the edge. A lot of paperwork and documentation involved but agency were terrific and leading on it all. Happy to supply more info or have a chat if that helps. Best of luck.

scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by scoobydoo » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:06 pm

thank you for the info!!glad that u found a maid. i have interviewed a few but no luck so far:( when did you relocate?

kimora
Regular
Regular

Post by kimora » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:13 pm

i'll be very happy to discuss the maid situation with anyone via PM.

i think each individual case is different and also apart from looking at agencies, the Cold Storage noticeboards (Jelita, Great World for example) offer an alternative to agencies -something i didn't know when i began looking.

in my case i found my helper through an agency and we're very happy.

Topshelf

Any suggestions for a good maid agency

Post by Topshelf » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 1:15 pm

Hi there:

We just hired a maid from an agency called ADP that we found through a great maid portal called netmaid.com. Several agencies have biodata on different maids there, you can search based on selected criteria and then contact the agency representing the helper you like. I recommend a "transfer" maid, as they are already here, you can interview them in person and most have experience working with expat familes. I interviewed three ladies, selected the one I thought would work best with our family and hired her. She started yesterday, and, so far, I'm very impressed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 1:37 pm

Topshelf,

I have edited your post to include the link to Netmaid as that is an excellent link giving exposure to a wide selection of agencies. I have also added that link to my links page in my signature for our readers in the future. Excellent link.

Thanks
SMS
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

YumMum

Post by YumMum » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:27 pm

Hi again. Glad you are getting lots of good input. We arrived about 10 days ago. Living in a nice temp Serviced Apartment till mid-Sept. Agree that every family will have different needs, and also agree that a transfer maid is an excellent option given the ability to meet the candidates face to face. I was surprised at the amount of paperwork involved, something the agencies can all lead on which is great but you prob need to allow 2 wks from end to end to manage the process. We met/interviewed a shortlist on Sunday (it being their day off/interview day usually) and we hope to have completed the transfer by mid next wk, assuming all goes ok with MOM etc. FOund that bit weird. Arrived at agency Sun aft to a room full of hopeful candidates. Interviews were very public and felt like a bit of a cattle market with the other candidates listening in to our discussion. Don't feel pressured to take whomever you first meet. Hold out till you click with the right person. Being the employer you have many requirements and responsibilies so it's important to get it right. I was pretty astonished to learn that many employers give only one day off per month to their maid - maybe it's a "local" thing, but I was shocked to see how heavily worked these women are. Each to their own I suppose. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you feel like discussing further. All the best.

Topshelf

Post by Topshelf » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 8:25 am

Thanks, SMS, for properly posting the link for me. As you can see, I'm the newest of the new here and I may need a little hand-holding to get the processes down properly.

ADP actually sent the three helpers I was interested in to my condo to interview, but it was a little funny--they are all friends and very giggly together and it was a bit awkward, but better than interviewing them at the agency, I think.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Aug 2008 8:58 am

YumMum,

You don't know the half of it. Do a search of these threads on maid abuse etc. to get a feel of the the way some domestics are treated here (and not only by just the locals - some expats aren't much better - but I must say they are a minority if they are western expats). The one day a week off it only the tip of the iceberg and yes, that is mostly a local thing but until the Ministry of Manpower says they MUST give one day off a month, it's not likely to happen with the locals, 14~18 hour days are the norm for those who have to work for them sad to say.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smiley188

Post by smiley188 » Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:36 pm

i used InterMares in Lucky Plaza. However, i also went through the internet - apart from netmaids, there is also Maidlibrary which aggregates the different maid agencies - you can select / search for a maid based on age, nationality, marital status, duties, etc.

In addition to this, i also scoured the notice boards at the supermarkets - in our situation, i preferred a transfer maid (ie one that was already in singapore but transfering to a new employer) rather than one that was fresh off the boat from her home country.

The most helpful thing is to have an idea of the type of characteristics you are looking for in a maid (beyond just someone to do the housework) - once you list these down, then look for those individuals who fit the criteria.

Maid agencies charge various fees - from $199 to as high as $799 to complete the paperwork. Some have guarantees or replacement maids within a certain period of time.

For me, it didn't matter so much about the agency - again, it boils down to the individual and the "fit". We've had our maid (our first and current!) for 4 years now and have just renewed for another 2 year term.

There is some give and take but to make the relationship work, treat them as a colleague and not as an object, and keep the communication lines open.

All the best!

neia_g2000

Post by neia_g2000 » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:03 am

Hi Scooby. Did you get a helper already? I know someone who is looking at transferring to Singapore as a nanny/helper whose been working in Hong Kong for 14 years. Speaks good English. Just don't know about the cooking though.

scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by scoobydoo » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:54 pm

did i find a helper....yes i did but appears that she may be knocked up n i am planning on meeting her agent tmw...
feeling sad abt it coz i was just beginning to feel settled with her n then i hear that shes already had one abortion 2 months agon n is trying to abort this one too( if she is preg) aswell.
i mean i do not understand these ppl. she has 2 kids at home who depend on her n shes busy having unprotected sex!! i was feeling guilty abt wanting to sack her n my husband said she doesnt care abt her family or future why r u riding the guilt wagon...

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:02 pm

scoobydoo wrote: shes busy having unprotected sex!!
In your bed when you are away :lol: She probably makes more than her whole month salary during one night on the job .

Seriously though, she should have had a medical done prior to you employing her being pregnant should show up, plus make sure you have insurance to cover these fines and medical expense ( bit late now if she is pregnant )

I feel your pain been there, our first helper got pregnant with her ex employers husband!! Second one was good but went back after her stint, third one went mad and got arrested, and our fourth nearly got rejected by MOM because of high blood pressure, but she is the daughter-in-law of our UK helper, though never worked as a maid, she was a hospital xray technician in the Philippines, so it really is back to square one, but so far she been good,

Its all trial and error and when you see adverts from people saying really great maid to off load be wary, as they might be trying to shift dodgy one and dont want to pay the repatriation and agency cost

scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by scoobydoo » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 9:57 am

the thot did cross my mind when i saw VERY GOOD maid adverts:)
right now i am waiting for the damn agent to respond to my call to confirm that shes coming. i have a very strong feeling that shes not coz in the past shes been very nreliable!
urggggghhhhh i hate the idea of confronting this girl on my own.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 3:34 pm

Good test if its a genuine transfer maid see how long she been working if its 7 years and the family is returning home then you are on to a winner, if its 2 months and its a local employer then be suspicious.

Most agency give some form of guarantee ( like a washing machine :shock: ) that they will replace the maid if you are not happy at no cost to you.

Seems odd if you find the agent unreliable why work with her in the first place?

Crown relocation recomended 121 agency which was the bunch who sent the good one to us.

Although we did a direct hire on the current helper, we asked BSC agency in far east plaza or shopping center (next to hilton) to handle the paperwork and they were very good.