Singapore Expats

any suggestions for a good maid agency?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 6:15 pm

Hi

We used Sinar Mas for the latest wonderful gem who helps out our family and I know a philapina girl there who comes recommended. Before that we used a recommendation from 121 but not 121 u
Out main criteria when even considering a helper is intelligence. Whilst I do not measure that on academic level achieved due to the economic situation in their home countries it is pretty easy to assess. Ask them what languages they speak...been her for a while working for a chinese family they should speak some Mandarin, likewise a European, south american or malay or indian family. Other prying invasive questions such as what do your brothers and sisters do..I am paying for my sister to do medicine is always a good sign..especially if it is true. One other question guaranteed to get a interesting response...If my child falls in the pool what would you do ? You would be well surprised at the result.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 6:33 pm

I am always amazed at the answers for these question

"What colour is Napoleons white horse?"
"Which is heavier a Kilo of iron or a Kilo of feathers?"

aussiemeg
Regular
Regular

Post by aussiemeg » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 7:48 pm

or if you aim to fail and fail did you succeed?

scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by scoobydoo » Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:12 pm

my part timer had recommended the agent and had brought a few girls for an intervew...so i hadnt met teh agent till i had zeroed in on the girl...
i know i know...
next time round im gonna be extra cautious...

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:45 am

Something doesn't smell right, why would the part timer recommend an agent? She is effectively losing her source of income, unless she made and arrangement to get a cut from the maid salary.

The maid is not honouring the deal hence the fall out.

To make sure you are dealing with someone who office is not the corner seat in Orchard towers coffeshop, check to see if the agency has all all the MOM and Case trust accreditation, while its not 100% perfect at least there is some comeback.

I believe all legit employment agency have to be accredited before a license can be issued.

scoobydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by scoobydoo » Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:53 am

the part timer realised that eventually i wud get a full timer n she was going to teh phillipines. she came highly recommended by our realtor who has been using her for several years now.
im so paranoid abt getting screwed again, im sticking to a friend of mien who ahs been here for yrs to help me this time round...i tell u its all abt recommendations!!!

surreymum

Post by surreymum » Wed, 17 Sep 2008 4:46 pm

Scoobydoo,

I found all the postings at supermarkets were really agents getting you to phone them for their 'really good maid' that they were 'sorry to loose, but they were returning home'

I agree with Topshelf. Found ADP agency from netmaid.com 1 week after I arrived in Singapore and they sorted out a load of interviews for me on that Sunday. First maid we picked backed out after a few days of saying yes, and Debbie from ADP was straight on the case sending me bio's of new ones. When we went to the office in Far East Shopping Centre on a Sunday it was packed full of girls, so it's obviouslly very popular with them. The girls can stay at a home ADP owns between their transfers.
We now have had our new maid for 2 weeks and she is a dream!! My tip is most of them can cook, clean and do ironing; the key is to get one who speaks good enough English and then you have the tools to really sort out anything else. It's all a bit pot luck really, just put their pics on a wall and throw a dart at it! Happy hunting

Karl06

Alice found a wonderful maid at supermarket notice board!

Post by Karl06 » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 8:30 pm

If you think you have a bargain, wait till you read about the wonderful bargain Alice maid at http://lucky.com.sg/case/abscond.htm

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 8:39 pm

Have a look at this website.

http://singaporemaid.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -maid.html

Interesting stories about maids and agenices. I know i nearly went to an agency listed.

I got my transfer maid from ADP, so far so good. She speaks good english and are great with kids. ADP handled all the paperwork and responded to all queries promptly when employment histories on biodata didn't exactly match information on MOM's website. Willingly to negotiate agency fees and not biased towards asian expats. Thats another story with another maid agency.

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 9:10 am

I highly recommend getting a referral from a friend or someone living in the same condo (or wherever you are living). Also, the bulletin boards are great. I started out using 121 Personnel at Far East Shopping Centre, and they seemed okay, it was just that we didn't click with most of the candidates they sent to us (some fishy things in some of the resumes), or the couple of suitable helpers that we approached ended up taking jobs with other families already. One downside to interviewing agency provided helpers is that you don't get much time to interview. If you set up your own interviews with helpers who are recommended or posted an ad on a bulletin board, you can set up a much longer interview and get to know the person better.

I became aware of Singapore's only charity for helping abused workers because that is where our helper was staying. It is called HOME http://www.home.org.sg/, and they have an agency called Starhome for helping to place workers who wish to remain in Singapore after their ordeals. The majority want to go home, but about 10-15% are actively looking for a new workplace. I recommend calling and asking about a transfer helper if you are truly a good employer. This means that you will provide a decent salary, decent work hours, private and comfortable place to sleep, work is in your home ONLY, every Sunday off as well as some public holidays, no verbal or physical abuse! HOME is also looking for donations and volunteers, so feel free to call if you are interested in helping this much needed charity in Singapore. Finally, please feel free to pass HOME's number to any helper you know is being abused or unfairly treated, because many helpers don't know that they have a place to go if they want to complain and take action about their mistreatment.

angellikes

SG Manpower

Post by angellikes » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:39 pm

YumMum wrote:Hi Scoobydoo, I posted a similiar note a few weeks back and got no reply. Surprising, given the number of expats who employ help at home. Anyway, after much searching we decided to use a company called SG Manpower on Orchard Rd. Registered with Min of Manpower, and tight on following all the rules and regs. Very efficient and speedy. Good website. They set up interviews for us on Sun last. Met 4 ladies. Hired 1 next day after ref checks etc. She starts next wk. The MOM website lists official employment agencies and those that are not, plus those on the edge. A lot of paperwork and documentation involved but agency were terrific and leading on it all. Happy to supply more info or have a chat if that helps. Best of luck.

We hired from SG Maid, the service was great when we hired our helper but when we run into problems with our helper, they got very difficult and even suggested solutions to us which where not legal.

MARIARONALD1

Domestic Helpers with Boyfriends

Post by MARIARONALD1 » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 8:49 pm

Has anyone had any trouble with domestic helpers' boyfriends?

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 8:27 pm

Oh lord, that's a topic in itself. Far too common, and we had a whole series of problems that all went back to her, um, extra-curricular activities. So, not sure what your situation is, but, I wished I'd fired mine as soon as I started having problems, as they subsequently got much worse.