Singapore Expats Forum

How can I find Investors in this town...??!!

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ArtyJames

How can I find Investors in this town...??!!

Postby ArtyJames » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:47 am

I'm a UK artist on the rise, just moved to Singapore....just had my first Singapore based solo show actually a few weeks ago....but anyway i'm not here to talk about that...
What I want to know....Is anyone out there interested in art??? Buying, collecting or viewing?? I have really got in on the art scene here in Singapore only to discover that most galleries either have closed or are closing or that all they care about is making a quick buck....such a short term view.....??!!
Anyway, everyone within the 'scene' I have spoken to reckons there is no interest here....they are so pessimistic. I can't believe that you guys out there aren't interested in art and art investment....I mean lets face it, when the economy slips, art is probably the one constant, it never decreases in value and more often than not increases.....looks like I'm going to have to do what every other artist and gallery owner seems to do...leave Singapore behind and go to Hong Kong, where people seem to value investment...!!!
Anyone have an opinion.....

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Postby Gypsy Queen » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 1:07 pm

Hi James

Welcome to the forum. As much as I hate to agree with the guys you have spoken to, the art scene here is practically non existant! Having come from London where I spent all my free time at exhibitions and the art musems I had a bit of a culture shock when I got here!

There is certainly a cash surplus with a lot of the expats to be able to invest in art but not the means to excite them into doing it I think! Someone prepared to put in a lot of time and effort in creating an exhibition in the right venue, with the right marketing etc could possibly start to change it but from what you seem to have said, artists have chosen the easier less hassle free route and fled to HK!

ArtyJames

Postby ArtyJames » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 1:18 pm

It's a strange one...I can't put my finger on the reason why...as you say, people have the spare cash and most probably the interest, especially the expat market.

I think you are spot on though, someone or something is going to have to play the marketing game and generate some interest, unfortunately for Singapore, these people generally do hot foot it out of the country to do it somewhere else.

The question is, would anyone in Singapore get excited by art! I like to think so and I like to think that the potential is here, just not tapped into.

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Postby Gypsy Queen » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 1:27 pm

Well u gotta start somewhere and I would be excited! Not much to go on I know but hey! I may be able to put you in touch with someone that could potentially help you out.. its a bit of a long shot but happy to help.

I do honestly think that if someone had the vision to create an exhibition that would intrigue people enough to attend (with art thats worth buying of course!) then you could be like a kid in a candy store over here!

ArtyJames

Postby ArtyJames » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 1:41 pm

Well, that's one person excited!!

All new contacts are helpful, so yeah I would appreciate that.

The market and the way the galleries operate over here really was just a surprise to me....but I think you are right, having a bit of vision and thinking longer term than just quick turnover is the way to go....

xnoybis

Postby xnoybis » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:28 am

Hi there:

As an artist in Singapore, I fully understand what you're talking about. Not only is the market tough, but people in general aren't as educated about the finer aspects of aesthetics and art in general. Singapore is trying to build a culture out of nowhere, and while business and marketing and finance might succeed with the brute-force method, art is a lot slower, a lot tougher.

It seems that the new-found focus on media and art is mostly as an avenue of making money. Perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical, but I've yet to see any effort to groom art for art's sake, culture for culture's sake, and not purely for the sake of revenue.

Anyway, if there are people who are into art, who either appreciate it very much or who practice it, it'd be great to get in touch and see what can be done.

Here's my site: http://www.lux-solis.net/photo

ArtyJames

Postby ArtyJames » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 8:00 am

I see your point, but I am not so sure. I don't think being educated in art is important...from a viewer/ appreciater point of view...I really believe that the problem with the Singapore art scene is the galleries and the artists themselves.
There is plenty of money and plenty of interest here...its the galleries short sighted view....in wanting a quick turnover and making a quick buck, galleries are forcing themselves to show any artist whatever their standard. The fact that most galleries expect the artist to pay to exhibit, only underlines the fact that even they don't really care about the art....as long as their costs are covered they are happy for that 2 weeks then move on and show the next artist.
In my opinion, the artist has to make more of an effort on their part and in Singapore's case, this means ignoring the pay to exhibit galleries. After all, isn't the point of the gallery to show work to the public for free, especially when most galleries will take between 40- 60% of the artists sales in any case. Surely it is the galleries responsibility to sell the artists they value, if they have to charge you upfront, this means that they are not making enough from the sales of that artist, which in turn proves that they are not doing their job properly....
I do believe that there is great potential in Singapore, but the artists and galleries mind set needs to alter...if a culture wants to grow and develop, things like art, music and performance need to grow too....building another shopping mall down Orchard isn't going to bring that 'buzz' to Singapore that is so lacking.

Liked your website and your photos.... we will have to keep in contact..
J