finding a live in maid

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
momeen

finding a live in maid

Post by momeen » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:05 am

hi! i've been in singapore just 2 weeks now.....very hot!
i've been trying to find a maid ...the relo centre suggestd happy maids happy homes...but i'm not winning :cry:
anyone got any suggestions? would really appreciate the help :D
and shud there be a trial period? and what abt all the otr costs involvd? this guy told us there's a transfer cost as well as everything else.
pls help!
thanxs much.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:47 am

Try typing the word {maid} in the search function at the top left side of this page. should turn up tons of links on a subject that been discussed over and over. This should give sufficient information. Also, you can check my links page below as well for other links regarding domestic helpl
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 1:26 pm

I would also suggest typing "transfer maid" this is a maid that is already working in Singapore, maybe the family is moving etc. but you can get to interview them first face-to-face, they are usually more experienced than chancing it with an agency, you can also find them posting at the local expat shopping centre's (jelita cold storage usually has several) and they often come with the employers tel number for a reference call.

delia2

Post by delia2 » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 1:46 pm

Generally expats choose to hire a "transfer maid" coming directly
from another job in Singapore rather than a maid coming from
her home country. That way you can have a face-to-face interview.

To hire foreign worker, which is less costly per hour than a singaporean
worker, you enter into a 2 year contract, authorized by the
ministry of manpower. You can break the contract if you
don't want a long-term worker, but it's not ideal if you only want
a temporary person or a trial period.

I've had good experiences with "InterMares" agency, although
they're not perfect. One of the most popular agencies with
expats is "Prestige" and they have probably the best supply
of experienced workers, but they sometimes put pressure on
employers to sign quickly, and personally I've found
them to lie to me about a maid having other job offers to see
if I would jump in and make an offer.
There are lots of small mom-and-pop agencies with personalized
service, and because this is inherently a process of matching
human beings with each other, the mom-and-pop approach
has a lot to offer.

Good luck.

momeen

Post by momeen » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 2:10 pm

thanxs 4 all the help :D
didn't know abt the transfer maids and doing it myself. will start today!

irishinsingapore

Live in helper

Post by irishinsingapore » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 9:34 pm

My family and I are leaving Singapore shortly and are looking for a good home for our helper. She is from the Philippines and we have been very happy with her. Please let me know if you are interested in meeting her. irishinsingapore@gmail.com

ccelyn

Re: finding a live in maid

Post by ccelyn » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:29 am

Can check out http://maidagency.com.sg for all your answer or visit www.mom.gov.sg for the requirements of Employer for foreign domestic worker

momeen wrote:hi! i've been in singapore just 2 weeks now.....very hot!
i've been trying to find a maid ...the relo centre suggestd happy maids happy homes...but i'm not winning :cry:
anyone got any suggestions? would really appreciate the help :D
and shud there be a trial period? and what abt all the otr costs involvd? this guy told us there's a transfer cost as well as everything else.
pls help!
thanxs much.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Aug 2008 1:30 pm

The MOM link is a good link as well as the following link which is also located on my links page. Netmaid Hub which was posted by another regular last week. The poster above is advertising their own site as only ONE agency is represented on this site and the the info contained therein was posted only 5 days ago so it would be rather hard to 'just happened across it'. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Thu, 04 Sep 2008 3:26 pm

Sigh........I am starting to understand the moderators frustration when someone comes on to the board, types an ill thought out and miss-spelt quickie message, does no search or research and expects everyone else to jump in and take their problem to heart - someone else just posted a message "maid for transfer" can you two maybe get together:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic52764.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Sep 2008 9:00 pm

:cool: Illegitimi non carborundum

And they wonder why we often get up with an attitude..... :wink:

orpisai

Filipino Maid for Immediate Transfer

Post by orpisai » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 3:44 pm

Hope this does not qualify as an advertisement as I am not selling my maid but transferring her instead...thanks.

We have a Filipino maid, Cerilyn (Lyn for short), Single, 30yo, whom we would like to recommend to any family seeking for someone hardworking and honest.

She has been with us for 9 months and we have decided to let her go as we no longer need a full-time, live-in maid. Lyn is available for
immediate transfer (preferably not later than 28 September 2008) not that she is so bad but as we longer need a full-time, live-in maid, it will not be cost-effective for us to keep her any longer than needed. Also, it would be unfair to keep her with us to do just the basic necessities when she has much more potential and capabilities to be tapped to offer.

Lyn is a fast worker, reliable, hardworking and honest. Her flaws are negligible as long as her prospective employer is not fussy or has unreasonably high expectations. Due to her allergy which will cause her throat to get irritated, she would not prefer to work with
families who have pets.

Based on the past few months of observations, I would prefer her to work with employers who do not mind a flow of two-way communication with their helpers.

I have written a reference letter for her and it is available upon private request. Anyone who is interested may contact me via email
at oolong_koh@yahoo.com.sg or 9296 9965.

Alice