Singapore Expats Forum

Working in singapore after giving up SPR

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

akumta

Working in singapore after giving up SPR

Postby akumta » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 10:48 pm

Me & my wife got our Singapore PR around 2.5 yrs back. We recently moved out of singapore. Given the fact that our reentry permit which was valid for 5 yrs will expire in another 2.5 yrs time. I was told we might be able to renew our reentry permit for 1 yr at the most without having a job in singapore, so that give me atmost 3.5 yrs time to return back to singapore.

But we plan to return back to singapore only after 4 to 4.5 yrs time.

Given this fact, the Singapore ICA will most likely ask us to give up our PR status in 3.5 yrs.

My question is can i still manage to return back to Singapore in 4. 5 yrs time or even we be able to apply and get back our PR status when i return.
We don't have a child yet but we do plan to have one next year. I don't intend to withdraw my CPF anytime soon either since most of it has been invested for long terms.
We really love singapore and we wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to being able to work and stay in singapore.
I will appreciate your replies. Thanks a lot.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:26 am

Quick answer after 4 1/2 years is : no

'nuff said Image

akumta

Postby akumta » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 5:41 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Quick answer after 4 1/2 years is : no

Dear Vancluse, is there is any rule which states that person who had to give up his SPR can never ever be able to work in singapore on an employement pass or be able to reapply for SPR.

I was hoping things are considered on individual case to case basis which considers the person's ties to singapore, how long he stayed in singapore, educational back ground etc.. For example i have stayed in singapore for over 6 yrs and have a PhD from NTU.
Thanks for your reply.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:05 pm

As long as you leave your CPF intact here you will probably still lose your PR but upon re-application you should be a shoe-in. Most, when giving up PR withdraw their CPF. The government has said in the past that if you give up your PR and come back later you have to re-apply and if you have withdrawn your CPF it will make it harder. However, if you replace the amount withdrawn PLUS the amount that would have accrued during the time it was withdrawn, then they may look upon a re-application favourably.

edited to change PR to CPF as it should be
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sun, 10 Aug 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 7:45 pm

Sorry, mis-read your question a bit.

You will lose your PR if you overstay the 5 year limit, overstaying outside of Singapore.

I am not knowledgeable about CPF and re-application chnances

'nuff said Image