Singapore Expats Forum

Urgently require English Native Teacher

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

stagwong

Urgently require English Native Teacher

Postby stagwong » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 6:29 pm

Urgently require Female English Native Teacher with experience to tutor a 7 year Chinese girl in Central Singapore. Please drop me a note at : stagwong@myrealbox.com with your contact telephone number for further discussion.
Thanks....
I need an English native teacher that can teach English subject to a 7yr girl from Monday to Wednesdays at 1:30pm-3:30pm. Pls contact Mrs Wong at : stagwong@myrealbox.com. Thanks

Cherry

Postby Cherry » Wed, 22 Sep 2004 6:03 pm

OH PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT ONLY WHITES SHOULD APPLY BECAUSE APPARENTLY ASIANS ARENT GOOD ENOUGH. ONLY CAUCASIANS ARE WANTED, ACCORDING TO THE 'PARENT' OF THE CHILD!

roxann

I have the required skills

Postby roxann » Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:35 pm

Hi! I am an American. Can do the needful. Mail me at roxannj2@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Roxann Garcia

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 2:39 am

Hehe,Cherry,too uptight,huh,the parent? I can't help but smile when I hear the mention of 'caucassian' among locals here.Oh,and I just learnt that they are referred to as Ang Mo's....
:)

Cherry

Postby Cherry » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 1:30 pm

Yes, most of the local language schools like to have a white skinned person teaching because it apparently gives credibility. The singaporeans are under the impression that an ang moh can speak better english. I speak the queen's english, but am not white... so am not 'good enough'. Go figure!!

Get over it.

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 6:45 pm

Cherry, get over yourself.
I notice you complain about this child's parent wanting only a caucasian and you taking offence to that. Why don't you complain that they want only a FEMALE? I guess you only complain if its of inconvenience to yourself, others dont matter hey?
FACT - Caucasians are english speakers, so it is natural to want a natural english speaker for your child. If they want female too, thats their decision. I am male and it doesn't offend me, as Im not so trivial, to me it just appears the parent is limiting their options. In Australia it is a crimial offence to even mention you only want a certain sex/age/nationality for the position, under discrimination law, so stop complaining about something so trivial.

Linda

Postby Linda » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:52 am

Cherry is correct about this request. I called them also and was told they only want caucasians, as in WHITE people! Are are u Aussie? they dont discriminate in australia good for you. Anyway, why are u taking it so personally? If you think "caucasians" are the only ones who speak good english, hmmn,, what does that say about u?

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:34 pm

Damn - Those English Natives can be really hard to teach :shock:

Sorry Friday, sense failing, need for beer increasing... :?

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 4:35 pm

Bafana wrote:Damn - Those English Natives can be really hard to teach :shock:

And I thought they wanted an English to teach the Natives? Wah lao, my blain hurts.

Eugene

english private tutor

Postby Eugene » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 2:12 pm

Expats' family is seeking for a private English tutor(native
speaker) for a 3.5 years old energetic, communicative and easy-to-go boy.
2 times a week classes for 2 hours are desired by parents, but
we are flexible and the details are fairly negotiable. Interested teachers are welcome to contact Yulia by e-mail pozhitkov@sycamore.com.sg or mobile (65) 94357975.

Evgueni&Yulia

i am...i can...

i can teach good english even if I'm non-Native

Postby i am...i can... » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 3:44 pm

I would like to react on this thing about discriminating non-Native / non-Caucasian people when it comes to teaching the English language.

I don't believe that only the Whites are better teachers / speakers of the language.

I would like to call the attention of folks out there who think that Whites are the best in teaching English. I hope you also give chance to others. Being American/caucasian does not guarantee you or your child of the best English lesson...

There are Asians out there who are brilliant in speaking and teaching the language. Go and see for yourself.

kiss_snowhite

Re: i can teach good english even if I'm non-Native

Postby kiss_snowhite » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 4:03 pm

i am...i can... wrote:I would like to react on this thing about discriminating non-Native / non-Caucasian people when it comes to teaching the English language.

I don't believe that only the Whites are better teachers / speakers of the language.

I would like to call the attention of folks out there who think that Whites are the best in teaching English. I hope you also give chance to others. Being American/caucasian does not guarantee you or your child of the best English lesson...

There are Asians out there who are brilliant in speaking and teaching the language. Go and see for yourself.

Well said! I agree! :wink:
kisses..muacks!!

what does it mean

Postby what does it mean » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 5:14 pm

[font=Arial] [/font]

Born and raised in the States. Studied at American kindergarten, grade and high school all the way to university. But I'm not 'White'! Does it mean that I cannot teach English? :roll:

When it comes to specific request on Native teachers (only) to teach in language schools or private homes, I always scorn at it. Because by saying Native, what they really mean and already have in mind is a 'White' person.

Anyway, there is discrimination everywhere despite how globalised the world is. It is like post-colonial period didn't occur.

Non-whites who persist to teach English just have to try harder in their job application; hopefully there are some employers who aren't stereotypical and are smart enough to look at qualifications rather than the color of one's skin.

You are native.

Postby Guest » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 9:26 pm

'What does it mean' wrote -

- "Born and raised in the States. Studied at American kindergarten, grade and high school all the way to university. But I'm not 'White'! Does it mean that I cannot teach English?"

Answer - No, native english speaker means person with that language as their first language. If you were born in America, learnt American english, then you are a native english speaker.

People if you dont think you agree with the advertisement, then ask for specifics from the person who wrote it if you're interested in the job. If not, why worry?

Engrish Teacher

Postby Engrish Teacher » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:26 pm

I do agree. I am Chinese Singaporean and have been busy applying for teaching jobs. 9 out of 10 adverts ask for a native speaker. That doesn't stop me from applying as my mother tongue is English anyway. I have learnt to stop reading between the lines every time I am confronted with a "Native Speakers only".