Singapore Expats Forum

What makes you jump out of bed in the morning?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

What makes you jump out of bed in the morning?

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 2:08 am

Besides logging on here to diss other posters, of course. A lot of that happening recently...

I suppose it's a mid-life crisis type of question. Career coasting, practically semi-retired, lots of free time, family ok, no husband and kids to worry about, welded to my comfort zone... and bored out of my mind. Have had chronic insomnia for months. Think it's because I'm not mentally tired enough at the end of the day.

Just wondering what keeps you folks going. I'm not really looking for suggestions - yes I know there are orphans to feed, an environment to protect, old people's hands to hold, a world to save... I'm not in an Angelina Jolie phase where I'm looking to make a difference etc. I'm just interested in what real people devote their lives to.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 7:10 am

the smell of bacon. :P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:18 am

Making Bacon?

(Could not resit that one :lol: )

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:42 am

Hmm, my two kids, my wife and my ever-so-challenging job.

That about sums it up for me.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:27 pm

Being that one day closer to going back to my farm.

nicxtreme

Postby nicxtreme » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 2:14 pm

breakfast.........

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. Since I don't have a wife, kids or a farm, I guess I'll have to try breakfast and see if it works!

Ah, such a simple answer to life's big questions... :)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 2:54 pm

Knowing that a beer is just 10 hours away.
Knowing that coffee is just 10 minutes away.

The order of the above is changed depending on many factors which are far too numerous to mention.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:33 am

Nothing, I'm just on my way to bed in the morning, I can make it for lunch time :) Unless I have to compete in my daughters school sports, that is.

Insomnia is a killer, I've been on European time, since i came back in October 2007. Tried staying up all night too without sleep but doesn't help!

I also know what makes me jump into bed :wink: 3 times a day to lose weight :P

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 1:29 am

2 screaming kids :P .

Just kidding lah. My girls are little angels, for the most part, and know how to be considerate towards others, for the most part.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 1:09 pm

depends on the day - EPL is starting soon, I record, then get up before the kids to watch in peace, work on a weekday (Naaaa, same thoughts as you here) - that's the literal - the real answer would be the fact that I'm not wholly convinced that I will get another shot at life so make the most of this one - I read somewhere recently, a quote that got me thinking (paraphrasing here) - When your time comes and you are taking your last breaths, it's not things that you did that you will be thinking about, it's all the things that you coulda, shoulda, done that you will be thinking about, and that's just another way of saying regret. I don't want to regret so I try to do so many things that life seems pretty full at the moment. You really have to be able to get up in the am and say to yourself - Life's Good - and mean it (unless you have a stonker of a hangover)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 1:40 pm

Sillingw,

Thanks for the serious and meaningful answer. Couldn't agree more. I decided yesterday (for me Sundays are good days for realising things, sometimes things that I've realised before but gentle reminders help) that each day is a gift, a bonus, a non-guaranteed event, an adventure... And I am so lucky to be able to wake up wondering what the day will bring. And what I can bring to the day, and to the people around me, and to life, and to the universe...

So thank you everybody. My mid-life crisis is over for now. Life is good, I am happy. And it wasn't even breakfast, kids or a wife that did the trick!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 4:18 pm

At the moment everyday is good as it's one day closer for Mrs S and I finally fulfilling our planned move back to Singapore!

It been one hell of a rollercoaster of a ride the last 6 months which started with being made redundant, looking and find a new job in the UK, getting my PR approved, finding the perfect Singapore job and now frantically getting everything ready for our move back/to Singapore in just over 3 weeks.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 5:16 pm

Nothing but nothing makes me jump out of bed in the morning, most times I have to push myself...I hate getting up, doesn't matter what the plans for the day are.

(OK perhaps a large cockroach or 8-legged thingy crawling towards me might do it)
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 9:01 pm

Micknlea,

The best part of the day for me is just before dawn until just after. The air is cool, the light growing, the birds singing, the day being born... I love being up at that time. You should try it sometime. :wink:

Saint,

Wow, didn't realise you'd been through so much. Welcome back! And just in time to catch the last of the Hungry Ghosts, then Mooncake Festival, then Hari Raya Puasa, then Deepavali... life here is exciting! :)