Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Flag dragged during Olympics 2008

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Postby bruinbear » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 8:46 pm

I don't think Li did it on purpose.

They should have rehearsed the flag-carrying bit. Li is quite short and the flat is quite big.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:42 pm

what surprised me was that the camera's didn't pan ( unlike all the other nations) to the Singapore leaders in the crowd ????
Who was there ??

Even GW stood up and waved :D

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 1:35 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Oh and by the way, she's no longer a foreigner. She is one of us now. In case you forgot.

WIMH should change your name to Yoda.

All these blinkered locals saying shes not a Singaporean, can they not imagine a scenario, a Singapore born couple, working overseas as an expat, they have a child born in, lets say UK, are they saying that kid will be rejected by the local family as she is not really a Singaporean, :shock:

The world extends beyond these shores, and while talking of the local sandy shores, the Singapore beaches are then theoretically Indonesian.

All things Singaporean be it food, customs, and Singlish is a result of a foreign influence. Never forget where you and your ancestors all came from.

I doubt Singapore is preparing a heavy lift transport plane to bring back the crates of medals, so the fact she wants to represent this country is a credit to her. Lets be honest, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Toga has more medals, did the camera pan on the leader of these countries?
Last edited by QRM on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 12 Aug 2008 4:23 pm

QRM wrote:WIMH should change your name to Yoda,

A compliment that is, very kind you are. Honoured I am.

jlhs

Postby jlhs » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:56 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:I am grateful that:

a) world-class professionals, athletes included, WANT to be Singaporeans

b) some Singaporeans are proud of and WANT to carry our flag

c) we have citizens who step up and VOLUNTEER rather than wait to be asked

d) her time seems to have been rightly spent TRAINING rather than learning to carry flags

e) the authorities seem to have rightly realised that this is the Olympics and NOT the National Day Parade, and that athletes are NOT the Singapore Armed Forces

I'd rather the flag dragged on the ground than our representatives' spirits. With all the hard work they've put in, we could at least rally behind them during this period. Post-mortems and corrective feedback can be done after. Just imagine if she read the negative comments about herself from Singaporeans. Do you think that would put her in the best frame of mind to compete with all she's got? If you have ever done sports competitively at any level, you know that a lot of it is in the mind, and the last thing she needs now is criticism over some trivia and losing focus on the main thing because of that.

Oh and by the way, she's no longer a foreigner. She is one of us now. In case you forgot.

U mean Li Jia Wei is now a singaporean?? with Pink IC?? But overall Jia Wei have done her very best to fight for the games. her 2 opponents were world no. 1 & no2 leh. she had done her very best le. abt she dragged the sg flag on the ground l believe she didnt do it on purpose. maybe she nervous and happy as she first time able to hold the sg flag bearer plus the flag is not light lor.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 4:05 pm

jlhs wrote:U mean Li Jia Wei is now a singaporean??

She has been a Singapore citizen since about 1999.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 7:16 pm

Yeah weren't you paying attention? the cheek of some people!
some signatures are more equal than others

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Aug 2008 7:35 pm

banana wrote:the cheek of some people!

You eyeing jlhs' butt now? I don't think he/she is an SPG.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:06 am

jlhs wrote: But overall Jia Wei have done her very best to fight for the games. her 2 opponents were world no. 1 & no2 leh. she had done her very best le.

What does leh and le mean in the above?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:08 pm

Holey Moley I've just watched this youtube clip and I couldn't see any glaring problem with the flag ! I mean yeah if the flag and carrier had been in proportionate heights she would probably have held it higher, but really as I see it the flag bearer looked happy and proud and the flag looked just dandy. :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sun, 24 Aug 2008 1:36 pm

Just what I said too OzChick, talk about nitpicking. :roll:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown