Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Flag dragged during Olympics 2008

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

99heyho
Regular
Regular

Singapore Flag dragged during Olympics 2008

Postby 99heyho » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:36 am

Li Jia Wei, a foreigner being assigned as a flag bearer for the Singapore contingent for Olympics 2008 dragged the Singapore flag during its opening ceremony unlike the way other flag bearers carried their OWN national flag with pride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GNxnF1rB0

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Singapore Flag dragged during Olympics 2008

Postby Saint » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 5:59 am

99heyho wrote:Li Jia Wei, a foreigner being assigned as a flag bearer for the Singapore contingent for Olympics 2008 dragged the Singapore flag during its opening ceremony unlike the way other flag bearers carried their OWN national flag with pride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GNxnF1rB0

How sad an observation that is :roll:

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 8:29 am

She couldn't help dragging it as she is not that tall and its a very big flag.

Anyway think it wasn't on purpose - She looked very happy.
Be Like Water

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:11 am

Its the Singapore laid back way, she didn't do it on purpose its not some kind of subvertive protest.

She made it to the Olympic games for f**k sake. Why not complain about the FEET dragging service staff here instead.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 11:22 am

When Singapore has it's OWN athletes to compete, you can pick from them I supose? Is this thread really necessary? Singapore cherry picked foreign athletes good enough to compete (like most other countries) don't get all pissy that this evil FOREIGNER dragged the flag, it was obviously not intentional comparing the size of the athlete and the size of the flag. Way to embrace the Olympic spirit...keep up the fairly good job! :roll:
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Singapore Flag dragged during Olympics 2008

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:25 pm

99heyho wrote:Li Jia Wei, a foreigner being assigned as a flag bearer for the Singapore contingent for Olympics 2008 dragged the Singapore flag during its opening ceremony unlike the way other flag bearers carried their OWN national flag with pride.

The US's flag bearer wasn't always a US Citizen either! Pull you head in! FFS, it should have been the team's delegation to sort out the pole length or flag size BEFORE they started marching. They are given a support sling that appears is probably one size fits all and the girl is very short. Don't blame the carrier for being short, blame the Singaporeans who were(n't) her logistical support!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 9:29 am

I was shocked to hear that. I searched the web and I found this

h t t p : / / the cornlord.blogspot.com/2008/08/disgrace-and-disrespect-to-our.html

It seems JiaWei asked to carry the flag during the march.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:11 am

local lad wrote:I was shocked to hear that. I searched the web and I found this

h t t p : / / the cornlord.blogspot.com/2008/08/disgrace-and-disrespect-to-our.html

It seems JiaWei asked to carry the flag during the march.

Shocked that people are making a fuss over it? She probably wanted to carry it because she was proud of what she has achieved.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:33 am

Nice logic there Local Lad...good to see that the lack of common sense is alive and well in Singapore!

I'm going to ask the National Day Parade Committee to let me guide the parade next year. I'd like to see how "shocked" you'd be when I got the army dancing to "YMCA". Would you be shocked and disgusted at me for doing the job I was tasked with doing by your governement or rather shocked and disgusted at the committee for allowing a dirty, evil foreigner to have the job?

Just because one asks does not mean one gets...She should be proud that she was chosen for the honour of bearing the flag of the country SHE IS REPRESENTING!!!! Like I said before, way to embrace the spirit of the Olympics! Keep up the fairly good job!

This is pure ignorance , jealousy and spite and should not even be a topic of discussion here and you are adding fuel to a fire that is not worth burning!

I won't dignify this thread anymore with a response....
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 2:51 pm

I didn't see the opening ceremony, I was in flight from Singapore to 'home.'

It has saddened me to learn that my host country withdrew their athletes from participating in the Olympics as the Minister for Youth and Sport didn't register them properly. How sad.

On another note, our cable which is based in Malaysia, has 9 channels showing various Olympic events.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 3:13 pm

Yes Matney, so sad that the competitors they had ready to compete never got the chance.

As for the flag bit, get a life people. She carried it, OK it dragged a tiny little bit, so did some others, at least she carried it with a smile. I didn't even notice when it happened so I looked at that clip on youtube and the comments posted below it were just so sad.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 4:34 pm

Barczar wrote:Nice logic there Local Lad...good to see that the lack of common sense is alive and well in Singapore!

I'm going to ask the National Day Parade Committee to let me guide the parade next year. I'd like to see how "shocked" you'd be when I got the army dancing to "YMCA". Would you be shocked and disgusted at me for doing the job I was tasked with doing by your governement or rather shocked and disgusted at the committee for allowing a dirty, evil foreigner to have the job?

Just because one asks does not mean one gets...She should be proud that she was chosen for the honour of bearing the flag of the country SHE IS REPRESENTING!!!! Like I said before, way to embrace the spirit of the Olympics! Keep up the fairly good job!

This is pure ignorance , jealousy and spite and should not even be a topic of discussion here and you are adding fuel to a fire that is not worth burning!

Barczar

Obviously you are jumping the gun. I am merely shocked but that doesn't mean I disapproved with what she did. It could be out of innocence for all all know. As for the NDP event, I would love to see you guide the boys and girls do the YMCA dance. There is no need for me to be shocked for now as I am aware who to blame when every Singaporean will be disgusted for a ill-choreographed moves.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 5:56 pm

local lad wrote:
Barczar wrote:Nice logic there Local Lad...good to see that the lack of common sense is alive and well in Singapore!

Barczar

Obviously you are jumping the gun. I am merely shocked but that doesn't mean I disapproved with what she did. It could be out of innocence for all all know. As for the NDP event, I would love to see you guide the boys and girls do the YMCA dance. There is no need for me to be shocked for now as I am aware who to blame when every Singaporean will be disgusted for a ill-choreographed moves.

That was a bit of wasted bandwidth wasn't it........ :roll:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 8:00 pm

singapore "boleh" or not?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 11 Aug 2008 8:43 pm

I am grateful that:

a) world-class professionals, athletes included, WANT to be Singaporeans

b) some Singaporeans are proud of and WANT to carry our flag

c) we have citizens who step up and VOLUNTEER rather than wait to be asked

d) her time seems to have been rightly spent TRAINING rather than learning to carry flags

e) the authorities seem to have rightly realised that this is the Olympics and NOT the National Day Parade, and that athletes are NOT the Singapore Armed Forces

I'd rather the flag dragged on the ground than our representatives' spirits. With all the hard work they've put in, we could at least rally behind them during this period. Post-mortems and corrective feedback can be done after. Just imagine if she read the negative comments about herself from Singaporeans. Do you think that would put her in the best frame of mind to compete with all she's got? If you have ever done sports competitively at any level, you know that a lot of it is in the mind, and the last thing she needs now is criticism over some trivia and losing focus on the main thing because of that.

Oh and by the way, she's no longer a foreigner. She is one of us now. In case you forgot.