Singapore Expats Forum

Cote d'Azure - Security Guard

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

MRX

Postby MRX » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 4:31 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Wow, SMS. You're starting to sound like the Old Man [-X

He is ain't he???? ........ :lol: :lol:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 5:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This unruly bunch has been here for donkey's years and while we help lots of people in the process, we also like to have a good time. Sometimes, people think either too highly of themselves or get all self righteous or don't have the skin-thickness necessary to join in our community. They try but they end up letting their emotions get the better of them in an anonymous forum. Some try to try to change the system, some moan and complain (for any of our southern neighbours that means 'whinge & bi*ch), but eventually, they find they are "outsiders" who cannot fit in and eventually do everybody a favour. They either change (rarely) or they leave (usually).

The choice is yours.........

.....but I can tell you what. Square pegs don't fit into round holes. You ain't gonna change us as our mix has taken us to the top of the rankings and that's where we are gonna stay. Trolls come here now and again. We play with 'em for a while but then we just get tired of toying with them and ignore them and they then go somewhere else.

Your reply to this post will serve to let all and sundry know which category you fit into.......

Trouble is, at least from where I'm sitting -- too often a question is posed, innocently enough and when a strong opinion is given and is unpopular (or misunderstood), the responding poster gets painted with the self-righteous brush. I've seen this sort of condescension over and over again, directed my way or at others, sometimes thinly veiled, sometimes overt. Sometimes the hammer falls swift and sure, driving the nail flush -- when a tap is all that was needed.

So I suppose the ones who get tired of the smugness and superiority or flip comments are the square pegs? :roll: And are too emotional? If you ask me, the minute you take the emotion out of a forum, it loses it's humanity. Relationships cannot form without emotion. Emotion keeps the whole thing humming along and interesting.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:07 pm

Happy ND road.not.taken.

This should be around your 13th year in Singapore now correct? In here as well for over 3 years with 3 different nicks as well. You and I have had our bits and times as well over the years as well. But there was always one big difference wasn't there. Neither of us ever descended into name calling and barraging moderators/admins with PM's complaining. We always met somewhere in the middle or just walked away from it after having said our peice. For that you have always had my respect and admiration. We all have our own mechanisms to deal with frustration and emotions here. But disrespect or trying to force other to conform to what we think isn't always easy so we either learn to ignore, walk away, take a break from posting or we rant and rave and then leave (so do that and then come back later under new nicks as well don't they.

But we have never descended into foul mouthed verbal slagging matches or cried to help for not following what we believe the rules "should" be.

Anyway, Have a delightful NPD weekend. As this is still the US school holiday season in the US (don't know what SAS's schedule is), are the kids off here? or are they Stateside at the moment?

sms

Emotion..... Was just listening to "One Tin Soldier" by Judy Collins yesterday (probably the umpteen thousandth time). Reminds me of what happens when we let emotion run amok. Better to hit a happy medium where emotion remains constructive and not destructive from where I sit. :wink:

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 1:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Happy ND road.not.taken.

This should be around your 13th year in Singapore now correct? In here as well for over 3 years with 3 different nicks as well. You and I have had our bits and times as well over the years as well. But there was always one big difference wasn't there. Neither of us ever descended into name calling and barraging moderators/admins with PM's complaining. We always met somewhere in the middle or just walked away from it after having said our peice. For that you have always had my respect and admiration. We all have our own mechanisms to deal with frustration and emotions here. But disrespect or trying to force other to conform to what we think isn't always easy so we either learn to ignore, walk away, take a break from posting or we rant and rave and then leave (so do that and then come back later under new nicks as well don't they.

But we have never descended into foul mouthed verbal slagging matches or cried to help for not following what we believe the rules "should" be.

Anyway, Have a delightful NPD weekend. As this is still the US school holiday season in the US (don't know what SAS's schedule is), are the kids off here? or are they Stateside at the moment?

sms

Emotion..... Was just listening to "One Tin Soldier" by Judy Collins yesterday (probably the umpteen thousandth time). Reminds me of what happens when we let emotion run amok. Better to hit a happy medium where emotion remains constructive and not destructive from where I sit. :wink:

But there's no consistency from the mods. Two laws exist. One for long timers and one for newer residents of the forum. Led from the front by Capatin Calamity, politically, the mods cannot cope. Proven here time and time again. For a forum financed by a serious real estate business, I wonder how they allow the moderators to be so rude and involved or taking sides in debate.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 1:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: This unruly bunch has been here for donkey's years and while we help lots of people in the process, we also like to have a good time. Sometimes, people think either too highly of themselves or get all self righteous or don't have the skin-thickness necessary to join in our community. They try but they end up letting their emotions get the better of them in an anonymous forum. Some try to try to change the system, some moan and complain (for any of our southern neighbours that means 'whinge & bi*ch), but eventually, they find they are "outsiders" who cannot fit in and eventually do everybody a favour. They either change (rarely) or they leave (usually).

The choice is yours.........

.....but I can tell you what. Square pegs don't fit into round holes. You ain't gonna change us as our mix has taken us to the top of the rankings and that's where we are gonna stay. Trolls come here now and again. We play with 'em for a while but then we just get tired of toying with them and ignore them and they then go somewhere else.

Your reply to this post will serve to let all and sundry know which category you fit into.......

You like to pull everyone into your gang. Not everyobody is in your gang, let me tell you that sms.

So I wonder which category I fit into.....change or leave...hmmm!

Nope, I don't think I fit into either.

So, I'll come on here now and again meet some good people, on and outside of this forum, take some advice from some good people. And torment the rest of the **** ****'s that torment me or other seemingly good people.

For the record. I have very thick skin. Thick and black. And this all goes over my head. It gives me great entertainment to read the ******* that some of the unruly longtimers spout. Why do you think I come back for more.

So stick that up your **** and smoke it. :lol: :lol: :P :cool: :roll:

Too many emotions....not enough emoticons to convey them.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 5:23 pm

Currymeister wrote:
For the record. I have very thick skin. Thick and black

That must be the understatement of the year since you retort at every given opportunity.

As for the 'mods cannot cope', you simply don't know what you are talking about. We are not here to delete, edit, criticize or chastise posters for what opinions or philosophies they may publish. About our only function is to remove unauthorized advertisements, spam, profanity amongst other things ( some of which you have used but we haven't even touched).

Must of us choose not to be pedantic, if you want a highly controlled and regulated environment I suggest posting on the AB where, from what I hear, your post(s), should a moderator taking a disliking, will disappear in a flash with no explanation given asked for or not.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 6:40 pm

Currymeister wrote:But there's no consistency from the mods. Two laws exist. One for long timers and one for newer residents of the forum. Led from the front by Capatin Calamity, politically, the mods cannot cope. Proven here time and time again. For a forum financed by a serious real estate business, I wonder how they allow the moderators to be so rude and involved or taking sides in debate.

Fortunately for you huh! Your account hasn't been locked yet even though we have locked them for less in the past. Moderator are regulars who post in a personal capacity except when we are moderating and as such we normally sign off as mod, moderator or similar. In the meantime we also take each other (mods) to task when one of us does overstep the mark. So therefore, you are spouting just to see your nick. It's obvious, however, that you are having a problem fitting in. I don't see much traffic in the Entertainment thread after your one outing there either. I'd be interested what really happened on the "Peas in a Pod" gathering that you organized. Seeing those peas kinda died on the vine. I guess somebody there didn't agree with you and you called them a **** ****'s as well. So don't know how many "friends" you will meet here especially if they read your history of posts here with your volatile temper.

Code: Select all

For the record. I have very thick skin. Thick and black. And this all goes over my head. It gives me great entertainment to read the ******* that some of the unruly longtimers spout. Why do you think I come back for more.

I really don't know......why do you keep coming back for more? Do you think we actually care one way or the other?

You are welcome to come and go as you please......

Others do, and so long as you more or less abide with the general decorum with regard to language and racism (which is funny in a sad sort of way) For someone with a history of being on the wrong end of it, it would seem that you don't even know the definition of it. And you don't have thick skin - your posts are proving that to everybody on here. (You only like to think you do). And that's not all that seems to go over your head.......

I'd like to wish you a Happy National Day but you would probably think I'm just being sarcastic.......

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 7:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Happy ND road.not.taken.

sms

:roll:

Why all this personal information? Misdirection maybe? Does this have anything to do with my post or were you just anxious to show off your sleuthing skills? Well Columbo, have at it. For the record, I thought the security guard was out of line.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 10:42 pm

Funny enough but:

Interesting state of affairs. On the one hand, the comments he made were abysmal and you should have rightly been teed off about them.

I basically said the same thing on my first line of my first post in this thread......

:roll:

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:46 am

Im not taking sides in this but i do think Curry has a point, new or casual posters can get some rough treatment (from myself as well I suppose now that I think about it) while some regulars do often feel that (and im not naming names) they might register an opinion on anybody or anything with less consideration for the fact that the person is a noob.

Yes there are lots of nice people who give advice and help out here but more than one poster who is not a hard core regular has been sent packing, ok some of them did shoot their mouths off but then were told/asked/suggested to get out or to stop being childish or being given the verbal cold shoulder.

Granted it does seem to mostly be in the strictly speaking thread so maybe those who cant stand the heat... but ...

Case in point was the DJ guy who posted a while back, he started simply enough and with no real pretension but somehow he ended up getting ticked off (ok temper control for him as well) and leaving, or that poster called Chick on the economic thread about taxes, hell I even told Icyblue to put up or shut up so im not innocent (something about rocks and renting a glass house?).

I dont mind getting into a bit of biffo on a forum, and I think most of the regulars here do, some verbal swordplay keeps our wits sharp but we may forget that some dont wish to duel it or want a barrage of "this is my experience and I know better since I have been here longer" kind of lie which can stain some threads, they just want a simple answer to a simple question or some such.

These of course are my own opinions based on what i have seen on this forum, I read a lot more than i post, and I do think the phrase regarding the "more one talks the less one hears" may apply here, just substitute "type" for talk. But I may be wrong and I dont expect a chorus of agreement thats what i do like about this forum, you will get honest opinions and feedback its just that this is a public place (of sorts) and we should not act like we own this forum/thread by simple virtue that we have been here longer coz then we become the only/lonely inhabitants of those threads and i have seen the (im bored lets start a thread for fun thread) and have the regs eagerly jump on it because there is little else to post on/talk about, we like any community need new blood and need to encourage newer members to keep things fresh.

I will now climb down of my soapbox and vacate the unstable moral high ground to another :D

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Postby Currymeister » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:19 pm

Plavt wrote:
That must be the understatement of the year since you retort at every given opportunity.

Hey plavt do you know the meaning 'think skinned'?

Nothing to do with retorting, I think I have already said that I enjoy the entertainment of it.

Secondly, if I come back often I have thick skin. If I leave, go away taking it all to heart, then I don't.

Jesus, sms (head mod) where did you get these bright sparked recruits from?

:lol: RATFL My sides are splitting, ohhhhhh. hahahahahahah

p.s thanks for the Happy National Day well wishes sms. Much appreciated! No sarcasm detected :wink:

I hope you enjoyed them too.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 1:01 pm

Currymeister wrote:Hey plavt do you know the meaning 'think skinned'?

Jesus, sms (head mod) where did you get these bright sparked recruits from?

The irony . . . the irony . . . Image

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 1:43 pm

Gilly, thank you I did indeed and I was serious. I hope you did as well. I got a chance to see an actual National Day parade & event in person about 2 months after arriving here back in '82. It was at the Padang before it was held at the National Stadium - I believe it was the 17th birthday of this country. They got their nationhood the year I graduated from high school in '65!. Never managed to get tickets to one at the Stadium or new venue yet.

Oh, I am not the head Mod, just the most long-winded! :wink:

Actually there are no heads here at all - just a bunch of left feet! At 61 I don't crawl the bars anymore and don't like TV so I spend lots on time here and on about 4 other boards. After the past 6 months of losing weight I'm still trying to get back into shape to resume my previous hobby & life - diving. :wink:

sms

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 3:01 pm

Currymeister wrote:
Hey plavt do you know the meaning 'think skinned'?

Actually, I have never heard of think-skinned. :lol: Since you called Saint a 'twat' and spouted-off some verbal abuse at another poster along with your frequent returns to continue your tirades, what else are you doing if you aren't simply retorting? :roll:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 5:38 pm

Forks wrote:Im not taking sides in this but i do think Curry has a point, new or casual posters can get some rough treatment (from myself as well I suppose now that I think about it) while some regulars do often feel that (and im not naming names) they might register an opinion on anybody or anything with less consideration for the fact that the person is a noob.

Yes there are lots of nice people who give advice and help out here but more than one poster who is not a hard core regular has been sent packing, ok some of them did shoot their mouths off but then were told/asked/suggested to get out or to stop being childish or being given the verbal cold shoulder.

Granted it does seem to mostly be in the strictly speaking thread so maybe those who cant stand the heat... but ...

Case in point was the DJ guy who posted a while back, he started simply enough and with no real pretension but somehow he ended up getting ticked off (ok temper control for him as well) and leaving, or that poster called Chick on the economic thread about taxes, hell I even told Icyblue to put up or shut up so im not innocent (something about rocks and renting a glass house?).

I dont mind getting into a bit of biffo on a forum, and I think most of the regulars here do, some verbal swordplay keeps our wits sharp but we may forget that some dont wish to duel it or want a barrage of "this is my experience and I know better since I have been here longer" kind of lie which can stain some threads, they just want a simple answer to a simple question or some such.

These of course are my own opinions based on what i have seen on this forum, I read a lot more than i post, and I do think the phrase regarding the "more one talks the less one hears" may apply here, just substitute "type" for talk. But I may be wrong and I dont expect a chorus of agreement thats what i do like about this forum, you will get honest opinions and feedback its just that this is a public place (of sorts) and we should not act like we own this forum/thread by simple virtue that we have been here longer coz then we become the only/lonely inhabitants of those threads and i have seen the (im bored lets start a thread for fun thread) and have the regs eagerly jump on it because there is little else to post on/talk about, we like any community need new blood and need to encourage newer members to keep things fresh.

I will now climb down of my soapbox and vacate the unstable moral high ground to another :D

Well said Forks. The fact remains, a forum is a flawed platform for expressing opinions. I think 90% of misunderstandings are caused by hastily written or read posts, the reader's interpretation of the word on the screen and assigning a 'tone' that may or may not be there at all.