Singapore Expats

Cote d'Azure - Security Guard

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:24 am

Saint wrote:Can you be racist to yourself? :?
Yes. It's called self-deprecatory humour, which is a dying art.

Hey, this inability-to-read-in-context thing is actually quite easy!

(you saw what I did there?)
some signatures are more equal than others

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:28 am

Currymeister wrote:How do other people know he's a white Dutchman? So on a forum, its a pretty dumb thing to say, don't you think?
dutchman? where's superglide when you need him! :P

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 2:14 am

margt wrote:
For the record, the guy is American and not European...not to judge or anything...
I would still consider white Americans as Europeans, in ancestry. Just like I am Chinese, in ancestry, though I am also a Singaporean and American PR.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 3:56 am

Currymeister wrote:How do other people know he's a white Dutchman? So on a forum, its a pretty dumb thing to say, don't you think?
Did try and hint to you in various postings but obviously I'm a twat!

Since when does someone have to state there colour and nationality before posting :roll: To me and probably quite a few others it was so easy to read Mr V's postings

I don't expect an apology but I would recommend reading postings fully and in context before going off on one.

BTW the Mr V isn't Dutch :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 4:06 am

Saint wrote:
True but you could say he is a few other things. :P :lol:

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 4:11 am

Plavt wrote:
Saint wrote:
True but you could say he is a few other things. :P :lol:
He'd hold his hand up to many things, but not being Dutch :lol:

and that's no way being racists btw

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 8:38 am

Since we've descended into racism and nationalism, how about throwing in some sexism to complete the anarchy? Men cause all the fights in the world and are the source of all trouble. After all, the guard, the agent, and the OP are all male. QED. :cool:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 9:22 am

Sexism?

I'm all for sex! :P

Only problem is.....

What I once could do all night now takes all night to do once!

:oops!: :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 9:35 am

(warning: I will make liberal use of smileys in this response)

I'm afraid currymeister simply doesn't get it, no great loss . . . I hear a sense of humour is going at Cold Storage for SGD2.99, you should invest. Image

sierra2469alpha wrote:
Yes, you win, Vaucluse. You win. I'm sorry. You're just far too good.
Umm, it was a contest? I wasn't aware of that, but ok. I win . . . and you're boring Image . . . care to discuss embassy situations intelligently?

Dutch? Me Dutch? Plavt is right, I may be many things, but this crosses the line, my friend! Dutch? next thing you'll accuse me of is being a Kiwi or Welsh!

saint, it will be a lot easier to get that pint once you are on the little red dot permanently - it is just a few hours drive south/north . . . innit! Umm, do you owe me or do I owe you? I know Superglide owes me a few and the craggy Frog owes me one as well . . . Image

SMS - yes, moved to KL recently, had a brilliant opportunity here, grabbed iit with both hands, and it certainly beats the heck out of living in Thailand . . . sold off the business - while keeping percentages of profit in perpetuity,of course - love living here, though the travel is now to places I haven't really frequented often if at all; Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Myanmar etc. . .
Can't complain, though . . .

Oh dear, as to our resident Jezebel, Wind In My Hair . . . yes, women certainly have an impact on our daily lives . . .
and

(curryman and sierra - - - humour is what makes the world go 'round, try it some time)

'nuff said Image

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:16 am

Ah, V, so funny, perhaps this should have been in the airline careers subforum, so many jets flying over so many heads. :D
Missed you around the place. :wave:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:53 am

micknlea wrote:Ah, V, so funny, perhaps this should have been in the airline careers subforum, so many jets flying over so many heads. :D
Missed you around the place. :wave:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Post by quidsin » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 1:52 pm

Plavt wrote:
margt wrote:
Plavt,

I did actually see everything because I happened to be returning a temporary parking permit to the guard house when it started. You could say that I had a ring side seat !
Here's a quote from your original post;

I happened to be there on Monday night and witnessed your sorry episode. Luckily for you and everyone else on this forum, I can give an exact account of what I and other residents saw and it differs somewhat from yours.

Your account and his account differ, so how do I or anybody else know which is accurate and correct? However, you cannot know the full facts as there were events that led up to to the fracas you saw whether the behaviour by the people involved was justified or not.

Plavt,

Your right, margt's account and his account differ...white is blue and blue is white. That's exactly why margt has probably taken the effort to give us his/her account. He/She also rounded up the residents that witnessed the event in an effort to show support for the security guard, so were all of them wrong too?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 2:43 pm

quidsin wrote:
Plavt,

Your right, margt's account and his account differ...white is blue and blue is white. That's exactly why margt has probably taken the effort to give us his/her account. He/She also rounded up the residents that witnessed the event in an effort to show support for the security guard, so were all of them wrong too?
Not a question of simply right or wrong! Should you care to read the OP's original statement you will notice he waited for his agent to show up. That means sometime elapsed before the conflict began. Margrt was not witness to that part of the story since there was nothing to attract hers or anyone's attention and would not know what or what was not said. I don't suppose Margrt spends all her time listening and watching the security guard. Seems there is always somebody like you who cannot consider a few simple facts and must be right no matter what the truth actually is or was! :roll:

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 2:47 pm

Vaucluse wrote:(warning: I will make liberal use of smileys in this response)

I'm afraid currymeister simply doesn't get it, no great loss . . . I hear a sense of humour is going at Cold Storage for SGD2.99, you should invest. Image

sierra2469alpha wrote:
Yes, you win, Vaucluse. You win. I'm sorry. You're just far too good.
Umm, it was a contest? I wasn't aware of that, but ok. I win . . . and you're boring Image . . . care to discuss embassy situations intelligently?

Dutch? Me Dutch? Plavt is right, I may be many things, but this crosses the line, my friend! Dutch? next thing you'll accuse me of is being a Kiwi or Welsh!

saint, it will be a lot easier to get that pint once you are on the little red dot permanently - it is just a few hours drive south/north . . . innit! Umm, do you owe me or do I owe you? I know Superglide owes me a few and the craggy Frog owes me one as well . . . Image

SMS - yes, moved to KL recently, had a brilliant opportunity here, grabbed iit with both hands, and it certainly beats the heck out of living in Thailand . . . sold off the business - while keeping percentages of profit in perpetuity,of course - love living here, though the travel is now to places I haven't really frequented often if at all; Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Myanmar etc. . .
Can't complain, though . . .

Oh dear, as to our resident Jezebel, Wind In My Hair . . . yes, women certainly have an impact on our daily lives . . .
and

(curryman and sierra - - - humour is what makes the world go 'round, try it some time)
arrogant prat and arrogant whitey is humour? Which demneted school did you go to?

And Plavt - don't warn me about my level of wit, when your Russian friend Mr V started instigatred that level of wit first. Delete my posts by all means, but call Mr V humourous...that really is humour. Sick humour.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 2:56 pm

Currymeister wrote: arrogant prat and arrogant whitey is humour? Which demneted school did you go to?

And Plavt - don't warn me about my level of wit, when your Russian friend Mr V started instigatred that level of wit first. Delete my posts by all means, but call Mr V humourous...that really is humour. Sick humour.
Yes, poignant humour, but seeing as you have no sense of humour I guess it is lost on you . . . sigh . . .

My school? Would you like the website? Very posh little place - and boarders just for you to entertain with your wit, or whatever else.

I am now Russian? Better than Dutch, I guess . . .

You should realise that lashing out at all and sundry like this and using profanity will get you nowhere . . . just a feeling of 'Who is this git'. :)

Come on, try to be funny. No, really . . . try it. It can be quite uplifting.

breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out . . . and please copy and paste all my posts in their entirety as often as possible - people get to enjoy them more often that way, but don't write too much yourself or they just turn off . . .

(seriously, if you want my old school's website let me know)

'nuff said Image